modernArt

TSA - Over-zealous And Out-of-control

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:35 am

I theorized in the months after Sept. 11, that the U.S. government's proposal to employ more rigourous screening of the flying public would eventually lead to a sort of "catch-all" system that would prohibit anyone from flying for the slightest of reasons...minor warrants, citations and the like.

Well to read between the lines of the text of this Washington Post story about the TSA leads me to believe that that day is approaching quicker than I'd imagined.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A45434-2003Sep8?language=printer

The new Transportation Security Administration system seeks to probe deeper into each passenger's identity than is currently possible, comparing personal information against criminal records and intelligence information.

David A. Keene, chairman of the American Conservative Union, worries that the computer screening program will go beyond its original goals. "This system is not designed just to get potential terrorists," Keene said. "It's a law enforcement tool. The wider the net you cast, the more people you bring in."

If you ask me, the USA is sadly headed for the point of no return...a police state...one that will mistakenly snare and entrap the honest populace.

modernArt

RE: TSA - Over-zealous And Out-of-control

Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:36 am

Sorry, I didn't JCS's topic of the same. This can be removed.