n844aa

2-2 Seating

Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:38 am

OK, this is a pretty niche topic, but it's something that's been bugging me for a long time. Growing up, when I was very young in the early- to mid-80's, my family and I would frequently fly from PHL to DFW on AA. Thinking back, I always remembered sitting on a plane with 2-2 seating. But, a few years ago, trying to track down what sort of planes I might have flown back then, I discovered that 2-2 seating in coach apparently doesn't exist.

The most likely explanation for my memory is, of course, that I'm wrong. Either we sat on the left-hand side of a 2-3 aircraft, or we flew business/first on narrowbodies, or I just never noticed that middle seat.

But it still bothers me, because my memories of those planes are so vivid. The first time I flew as a teenager, I remember thinking as I boarded an MD-80, "Hmph, I liked these better when there were only two seats on each side." What I'm wondering is, were there any aircraft in use by any American airline in 1980-85 that featured 2-2 seating in coach?

Thanks for helping me clear up this terribly pressing issue.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

ssides

RE: 2-2 Seating

Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:18 am

I can't think of any. Maybe you were in first class?
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

northstardc4m

RE: 2-2 Seating

Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:19 am

1st/biz class on a DC-9/MD-80/F.28/BAe146 would of been 2-2... otherwise all i can think of are prop planes (F-27, Convairs, etc...). Maybe your family flew on Midwest Express or Midway Metrolink?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos