SInGAPORE_AIR

Singapore Airlines Jet Delayed After Child Smuggle

Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:31 am

Singapore Airlines Limited SQ0222 was forced by order of a Family Court Judge to land in Darwin - grossly inconveniencing 370 passengers and numerous crew members, and costing the Airline thousands of Australian Dollars - to stop a 3 year old child being smuggled out of the country after being cleared by Australian immigration.

The judge ordered the MEGATOP to land at 1930 Northern Territories time. Neither of the boy's parents travelled.

"Singapore Airlines deeply regrets the inconvenience caused with a court order. These types of cases pose serious difficulties for airlines, and incur substantial costs and inconvenience, particularly for customers connecting onward. But the protection of the child involved is of paramount. In the case of customers whose travel arrangements are disrupted, Singapore Airlines will seek to re-accommodate them on the next available flight and will meet their disruption costs," said Stephen Forshaw - public relations manager South West Pacific.

The flight departed SYD six minutes late at 1556. It arrived at DRW at 2012 and departed at 2112. The flight arrived in Singapore 1 hour and 54 minutes late. It is unknown if the Airline will attempt to recover the cost of this incident.

More information at the Townsville Bulletin website and the Singapore Airlines website

Information was gathered from the above hyperlinked webpages. Information can be viewed by clicking the above hyperlinked webpages. Information was rephrased and not copied or pasted with the exception of quotes.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ntspelich

RE: Singapore Airlines Jet Delayed After Child Smuggle

Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:42 am

grossly inconveniencing 370 passengers and numerous crew members

Who cares? Yes, sorry people didn't get where they had to be when they wanted to be there, but I think that a slight time delay is kind of outweighed by a child being unlawfully taken out of the country.

NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:44 am

To HELL with the inconvenience! God only knows what the fate of that poor child would have been. I'm glad the child is safe and sound.

kilavoud

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:13 am

The life of a child has no price. Well done SQ ! Kilavoud.

Ikarus

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:18 am

2 hours of delay and they issue a statement of apology? Are they nuts?

B747-437B

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:20 am

2 hours of delay and they issue a statement of apology? Are they nuts?

I've had SQ issue an apology statement and hand out meal vouchers for a 45 minute delay before, so it doesn't surprise me.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

standby87

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:27 am

These things happen all the time - mothers give birth, pax get sick. An ex-BA friend had his life saved when his JFK-LHR flight diverted for him into Boston as he'd suffered a heart scare. He recovered and BA didn't deduct the costs of the diversion from his salary  Smile

On a techy note, I'm wondering how the SQ crew do a loadsheet out of Darwin? They don't fly there. Maybe Loadcontroller was on board?! Anyone at SQ care to say?

Ejazz

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:50 am

We carry manual loadsheets with us and work it out, no load controllers required.

Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

standby87

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:57 am

Ejazz - I'm impressed! Cheers

Ex_SQer

Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:31 am

It depends on the pilots. Some are fine with doing manual loadsheets. Some aren't. We once had a diversion to an offline airport and the captain opted to call the nearest station - MINE - to get a computerised loadsheet and flight plan done and faxed over.