CanadaEH
Topic Author

Toronto Muslims Held At U.S. Airport For 16 Hours

Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:43 am

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Two Islamic leaders from Toronto were denied entry into the United States today after being detained for 16 hours at a Florida airport by U.S. government agents who told them they picked the wrong day — Sept. 11 — to fly, an Islamic civil rights group said.

Ahmed Kutty, 59, and Sheik Abdul Hamid, 37, were detained this afternoon at the Broward County Jail, said Altaf Ali, executive director of the Florida chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

They were denied entry into the United States and were booked for a late afternoon flight back to Toronto, Ali said.

"I'm totally flabbergasted," Ali said.

"I've heard some crazy things in the past about people being detained but this beats them all."

FBI agents interviewed the men yesterday at the request of U.S. Customs officials but did not charge them with any crime or order them to remain detained, said spokeswoman Judy Orihuela.

U.S. customs and immigration officials did not immediately return phone messages today seeking information on who ordered them back to Canada.

The imams were flying through Fort Lauderdale yesterday to Orlando, where they planned to raise money for an Islamic school in Canada, Ali said.

They were stopped and searched at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and agents found a business card for an Islamic organization on one of the men, Ali said.

"One of the agents told them: 'You guys have picked the wrong time to fly,'" Ali said.

One of the agents told the imams the U.S. government had reason to believe the organization on the business card was tied to terrorism. The organization was not immediately identified.

The men were held at the airport from 9:30 a.m. yesterday until 1:30 a.m. today, Ali said.

"Someone can be detained and locked up for several hours just because of a business card — that is so un-American," Ali said.

I was told if I didn't have anything nice to say, not to say it. I'm going to keep my mouth shut on this.
EH.

emiratesa345

RE: Toronto Muslims Held At U.S. Airport For 16 Hours

Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:17 am

The land of the free!

This shows exactly that!

EmiratesA345  Yeah sure
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

Spacepope

Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:25 am

You're right. The U.S. shouldn't investigate people entering the country, and shouldn't deny them entry, especially if they're muslim.

I guess the Canadians were out of line when they held me up at the Windsor border crossing for an hour when I was 8....

T.J.
The last of the famous international playboys

MD88Captain

Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:30 am

Those crazy Americans. What do you suppose they were thinking?

emiratesa345

Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:34 am

"You're right. The U.S. shouldn't investigate people entering the country, and shouldn't deny them entry, especially if they're muslim."

I see the sarcasm in this part. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that you are saying that they should ESPECIALLY investigate persons who are Muslim or of Islamic origin. Please do explain.

Give me a whole story such as the above, about your incident with the Canadian customs officers, and then I'll tell you if they were out of line or not.

Also, age means nothing. Just because you were 8 doesn't mean you are harmless. Do you remember the incident when the airport security found a gun, or knife (can't remember which exactly) in a child's teddy bear?

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

ual767ord

Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:16 pm

I'm glad to see we're being tough at our boarders.

gigneil

Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:19 pm

I'm sure you'll be equally glad to see the troops marching by your house, or knocking on your door for your daily cavity search, right?

N

yyz717

Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:43 pm

I agree. If North American Muslims are upset at the addl security being leveled at them, perhaps it could have been prevented had the 19 9-11 murderers not been aided and abeted by segments of the North American Muslim communities. What goes around comes around.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

bobrayner

Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:50 pm

If North American Muslims are upset at the addl security being leveled at them, perhaps it could have been prevented had the 19 9-11 murderers not been aided and abeted by segments of the North American Muslim communities. What goes around comes around.

If any of those individuals had aided and abetted, I'm fairly sure that they'd either be in hiding, or in Guantanamo Bay, by now.

Or do you think that entire religious communities should take the blame for the acts of a few maniacs?
Cunning linguist

yyz717

Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:53 pm

Or do you think that entire religious communities should take the blame for the acts of a few maniacs?

They are guilty by association if they don't speak up against the perpetrators. Silence means tacit support of terrorism.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

delta-flyer

Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:01 pm

And if the Immigration agents hadn't stopped to question them, and they turned out to be terrorists, we would never hear the end of it, especially from the US-lover's club!

Cheers
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

Spacepope

Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:06 pm

EmiratesA345: You correctly detected sarcasm in that statement. I guess the problem with sarcasm is that although you make it understood that you disagree witht he point being made, you don't really make your own point clear. I believe that people should be interrogated (heh) equally upon entering the country, and that even if a white baptist dude is found with documents indicating a connection with a possible terrorist organization (charity, militant group, etc.) that he be treated like these people.

"Securing" the borders isn't a cure-all for possible terror plots, but it still is a measure that can be taken.

And on that canada incident... evidently at the time there was a rash of kidnappings in the Windsor area. Kids didn't need an ID to go back and forth, and I express the darker italian side of the family more than anyone else (read: I don't look like them from far away). Unfortunately, i had also learned the "don't talk to strangers" lesson from sesame street, or captain kangaroo... I didn't answer the border guard's questions of "are these your parents?". Hey, they acted accordingly too!

T.J.
The last of the famous international playboys

rongotai

Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:09 pm

So, YyZ717, you feel that we should detain all American presbyterians at our borders because they may be coming here to kill the medical staff of abortion clinics, unless they can demonstrate that they spoke up against such actions in the United States?

If you do not agree with this proposition I would like to understand the difference between doing that and detaining any Muslim.

jhooper

Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:21 pm

the U.S. government had reason to believe the organization on the business card was tied to terrorism.

...so why wasn't their detention appropriate?

If an "Al Qaeda" business card was found with my name on it, shouldn't I expect the authorities to wonder why?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

HlywdCatft

Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:22 pm

There are still Al Quaida cells hiding out in Dearborn Michigan

I'm sorry, but I for one am not feeling sorry for those Muslims that were held in Ft. Lauderdale.

It makes FAR more sense than searching and detaining Grandma. I never heard of 80 year old American ladies flying planes into buildings and Ali is probably making half of that up like what the agent said to get a lawsuit out of it.

Its reality, you gotta expect it now. He could have driven or taken a bus. There were warnings going around about attacks on the Anniversary of Sept 11, of course people are going to look twice at Muslims or those of Middle Eastern appearance, hell even dark skin. I get wierd looks occassionally when I fly a plane because I am dark skinned too.

rongotai

Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:01 pm

"Its reality, you gotta expect it now"

Therein lies the problem. We now live in a paranoid world. That is the triumph of September 11th, even if Al Quaiada never do another thing.

No, I don't really blame the United States, but I have stopped taking on American contracts. Not because I'm scared of terrorist attacks (I still work in Asia without thinking about it), but because I can't stand the hassle of entering or being in the USA with a foreign passport. Being involved in a terrorist incident is still 1 in a billion odds, but encountering an obnoxious security situation is a guaranteed daily experience for the foreign business traveller in North America

Most Americans don't know where my country is, so they place it in the Middle East by default, just to be on the safe side. So in North America I find myself becoming paranoid about their paranoia ("Searched 6 times out of 7 boarding domestic flights. It must be because I'm foreign.").

Yet I never felt like that about doing business in the UK when IRA bombiing was at its peak.

By the way, I am white and pale skinned. Never been brown in my life - the sun turns me red. I keep away from it.

B747-437B

Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:07 pm

I can't stand the hassle of entering or being in the USA with a foreign passport.... encountering an obnoxious security situation is a guaranteed daily experience for the foreign business traveller in North America

Amen! You couldn't have put it better. I relocated my North American operations completely from Atlanta to Toronto last year for that same reason after being hassled by the INS over lawd only knows what. I'm still willing to take on US clients, but only if they are willing to be serviced from Toronto or Vancouver.

Doing business in the US is simply not worth the hassle factor anymore. If and when they decide to make things more conducive, I'll be glad to go back in there but until then Canada will be getting my company's tax dollar.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

WNfan

Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:56 pm

Sometimes I am ashamed to be an American. Our collective reaction to the awful events of two years ago, in my opinion, is atrocious. Locking up people in Guantánamo Bay for two years, without proper legal recourse, is anti-American and fundamentally wrong.

I don't blame you non-Americans who choose not to enter our country and prefer to ally yourselves with business partners in other nations. It makes complete sense from a convenience standpoint.

A vast minority of Americans have ventured to travel to other parts of the world; yet we want to dictate policy around the globe. Personally, I consider myself a citizen of the world who happens to live in the United States. I continue to hope that someday my fellow countrymen can learn to accept and understand the opinions and realities of people from the rest of the world. In my opinion, that is best accomplished by travelling to and living in other societies throughout our planet we call Earth. Unfortunately, it's rare to find an American who has done so.

ual777contrail

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:05 pm

WNFAN,
Your comments are making me sick, what are you a liberal democrat?

ashamed to be American? Go somewhere else, try living the life you take for granted here.

our collective reaction of what happened 2 years ago is atrocious? Locking up people in G. Bay?
no, what they should have done was ram a plane full of these people into their buildings.

I don't blame you non-Americans form entering our borders? Who are you referring to? Everybody enters our borders, Mexican,Muslims,Jewish, who are you referring to?

understand the rest of the world? Oh, but only if you don't lose a family member to an event that WILL change the way we think forever.

wnfan, you are the reason we don't have tighter borders, and people like you are the ones who will always travel abroad and say how anti-American you are.

ual 777 contrail

nwcoflyer

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:08 pm

WNfan,

Do you work for the ACLU? If you are ashamed to be an American, than move! I truly don't believe how you can be ASHAMED!
The New American is arriving.

uadc8contrail

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:18 pm

WNFAN,
hi...put ure crack pipe down and be realistic..have u been to other parts of this big "mother planet"??????u go to the middle east or parts of "western europe" and they profile like a bunch of drunken monkeys...try going thru lhr on ure way to dub and have a british immig officer quiz u on who r u vistiing in ireland ...or see ure mom go thru that.......am i a ira terrorist??????
bus driver.......move that bus:)

lehpron

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:34 pm

Would you kids quit acting like WNfan is not allowed an opinion for God's Sake, so what about how he feels? I don't see how that bothers you, it can never impact your life, YOU are making it a big deal for/to yourself -- it just became your problem, end of situtation.

Though I suspect the opposite, can you guys possibly reply to this in any way without being hyper-sensitive?

The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

B747-4U3

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:41 pm

"our collective reaction of what happened 2 years ago is atrocious? Locking up people in G. Bay?
no, what they should have done was ram a plane full of these people into their buildings."

Yes, what a great idea!.....and then the world will hate America even more than they already do.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

ual777contrail

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:45 pm

No, two wrongs dont make a right. It amazes me how you can be such a bleeding heart and actually print this nonsense.

maybe because it is late?

who knows, just sad people out there think the way WN FAN does, one comes to mind. the dixie chicks

Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:56 pm

UAL767ord - I remember a chatreply from an us-guy who was angry about spanish police. They stopped him and he got problems cause he had no passport with him. He asked, what happens to the EU-countries.
Sorry, UAL767, now there is a complaint against us-imigration and now it's upside-down?
The US-citizen didn't have a passport with him ... lol Just a "Eih, folks, i am AMERICAN" is no reason to pass immigration. And passport should belong into hand-luggage, not into checked baggage.

kilavoud

Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:07 pm

WNfan was surely meaning that he is feeling uncomfortable in a difficult situation. Ashamed was surely no the right word he should have used. Try to understand the real sentiments of people before putting a severe judgment on them, for just a mere word. Thanks.

L-188

Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:08 pm

How in the world did he get on an airplane without a passport.

You need one to be able to check in
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

WNfan

Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:10 pm

Sorry, in my post I meant to say "A vast majority of Americans have never ventured to travel to other parts of the world." Part of my point is that we are a society that essentially lives in a goldfish bowl.

Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:20 pm

He did, L188 - he made photocopy of passport and id-card and entered plane with that garbage. When he left plane they didn't accept photocopies.
Next time when i want to pay cash, I have to make photocopy of banknote first.

kilavoud

Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:22 pm

WFfan, why should you put a fish out its bowl, if it is feeling comfortable inside of one only bowl ? Some fishes feel comfortable in one bowl
some others in two bowls. I need at least three to be happy. But the choice is up to everyone and should be respected. Kilavoud.

Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:24 pm

Kilavoud, yes, it should be respected. But a fish shouldn't talk about life and culture in another bowl and give his "high-quality"-opinion about other bowls.

kilavoud

Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:28 pm

Stefandotde. You are right. For this I will give you one more RR, then you will have two. All the best. Kilavoud.

Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:32 pm

Switzerland twelve points, la suisse, douze points. lol
Thanks a lot, i don't know why i have 1 published RR - you are my 3rd  Wink/being sarcastic

Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:35 pm

"CanadiaEH: I was told if I didn't have anything nice to say, not to say it. I'm going to keep my mouth shut on this."

Hehehe, Canadia. Same happened to me, dude. Fear it's new culture of democracy and culture since 9/11.

mike_mit

Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:25 pm

Tell me the connection between WNfan and being a liberal or a democrat. I don't see one. WNfan had the audacity to question the garbage the Bushies are putting out about the war on terrorism. For his questionning, he's labeled a traitor. Get a clue. Scrutinizing our government and holding it accountable for its actions is patriotic. Giving blind, unquestioning support to Bush and the neo-Cons is pathetic. I don't agree with WNfan but at least he's not a flag-waving drone.

--From a flag-waving sceptic.

MidnightMike

Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:01 pm

CanadaEH

Was something wrong with the paperwork? Visa's expired? Expired picture ID?
It could be any of 1000 reasons for the detainment, this does not happen to everybody. We just had "11" students for Saudi Arabian Airlines report for flight training & not one of the students was harassed or detained for any reason. "5" of the pilots arrived on Thursday, September 11, no troubles whatsoever, so, my point is, it could have been back luck, or perhaps something with the paperwork.
They were stopped and searched at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and agents found a business card for an Islamic organization on one of the men, Ali said.
One of the agents told the imams the U.S. government had reason to believe the organization on the business card was tied to terrorism. The organization was not immediately identified.
Now this certainly caught my attention, the organization could have been on a watch list? Was the organization a front for terrorism? What was the name of the organization? I would love to do a search on the internet?

Now I do have one comment, why would Two Islamic leaders be traveling on September 11? That is just plain stupid! Yes, they did have the right, but how about a little common sense. Sounds like they wanted some attention & they received it.

Your story was in bold and one sided, well here some comments from the other side.
NO URLS in signature

Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:07 pm

Lots of questions, Midnightmike. But I am sure if there was something wrong with the paperwork, the immigration would have informed press too.
They didn't. And so I am a terrorist too cause i have business-cards from Emirates? Wohoo, what a country you live in?

MidnightMike

Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:33 pm

Stefandotde

Emirates is an established company, so no problems there mate. The "11" students that reported for flight training all had business cards that stated they flew for Saudi Arabian Airlines and they entered the country with no problems. If there was ever a red flag, a Saudi national entering the country for flight training. All the required paperwork & steps were followed & we have the scheduled class ready for training on Monday.

The 9-11 terrorist ruined the US open door policy for all people from the Middle East. If you want I can send you a picture of the nice crater in New York of where the World Trade Center used to be located.

Stefandotde, one person can destroy a good thing for 20 people, at Emirates if pilots are allowed to trip trade, but because of the trip trade pilots were missing trips, I am quite confident that Emirates would outlaw trip trades.

NO URLS in signature

Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:43 pm

You want to show me the crater in New York, Midnight?
Wanna talk about foreign-politics? Could show you other pix from things that happened before 9/11.
It's boring talking about 9/11 all the time. World is not just 9/11, more crule things happened and maybe these things "produced" 9/11.

777236ER

Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:47 pm

Now I do have one comment, why would Two Islamic leaders be traveling on September 11? That is just plain stupid! Yes, they did have the right, but how about a little common sense. Sounds like they wanted some attention & they received it.

Are you honestly saying that on September 11th, all Muslims should stay at home and to travel would be "plain stupid"?
Your bone's got a little machine

cfalk

Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:50 pm

The 9-11 terrorist ruined the US open door policy for all people from the Middle East.

Absolutely. If Muslims want to be angry at someone for screwing up their ability to travel as easy as anyone else, perhaps they should get more actively involved in fighting terrorism, in whatever way they can manage.

Given what has happened in the past few years, and the general lack of substantial and proper reaction from the muslim world, searching little old blue-haired ladies seems to be paranoid, but giving muslims an extra-careful look appears to be basic common sense.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

MidnightMike

Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:50 pm

Stefandotde

Sorry for boring you, but we need to study history so that we do not repreat the mistakes. Should I talk about the first World Trade Center bombing then?

Yep, the World Trade Center was an excellent military target, bravo to the brave soldiers and their excellent planning, only the soldiers in the World Trade Center were targeted. Not a single innocent was lost.
NO URLS in signature

Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:54 pm

MidnightMike - I am not interrested into political discussions with you.
But remember who were the criminal people who supported Taliban, who supported Bin Laden. Know who I mean? If not: send a mail to stefaningermany@msn.com and I will tell you.

wgw2707

Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:13 pm

This is good news, I am relieved to note that the government is taking firm action on keeping potential terrorists out of the US. Right now, Canada's extremely lax immigration policies pose a security risk for the US, as persons are routinely allowed to immigrate into Canada who do not even posess a photo ID. Consequently, a high degree of dilligence is required by US security agencies when processing persons entering into the United States from Canada, and until Canada can demonstrate tangible security improvements in their immigration control, this level of precaution will be required.

If the persons were suspected of being in an organization with terrorist ties, that is in itself a defacto reason for not admitting them to the United States. Do we really want to allow terrorists to enter the country? It just opens the door for more catastrophes. We shouldn't just stop persons suspected of being Islamic terrorists, we should also stop Basque Separatists, IRA members, and any other persons who use terroristic tactics in an ill-fated effort to accomplish their goals. This is pure common sense. This sort of blocked entry is precisely what our new security measures are in place to achieve: denying entry into the US of dangerous people, and on the same note, preventing potentially dangerous people already within the US from causing harm to others.

Anyone who calls this action "Un-American" should note that absolutely no laws, Constitutional or otherwise, were violated in this instance, and therefore, you must be considering "American" and "Un-American" from the standpoint of some assumed poetic, mythical (and inaccurate) vision of a magical land with complete open doors, where anyone can do anything etc etc etc, which never was the case. The US has always had laws, throughout its entire history, and the democratic, lawful order of our society makes us American, and sets us apart from some of the lawless countries in which warlords abuse their terrified populace, terrorists are trained to carry out acts of evil, et cetera.

-WGW

777236ER

Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:19 pm

This is good news

16 hours, without any charges or reason to be held, comments like "you picked the wrong day to travel" then being sent back home?

I thought it was the land of the FREE?

Your bone's got a little machine

Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:24 pm

WGW, i don't call it "unamerican" unfortunately it's american in the meantime.
A friend in the US told me: Every person who is against war, is an anti-american communist. That's kinda brain-wash of us-citizens.
And WGW, remember the criminal people who supported Bin Laden & Cie. Their biggest supporter came from US-administration.

frntman

Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:33 pm

The 9-11 terrorist ruined the US open door policy for all people from the Middle East.

Unfortunately it also tainted the perception some Americans have toward those from the Middle East. Just yesterday, several passengers wanted me to deny boarding to a passenger of Muslim decent citing that they were apprehensive getting on an aircraft with him.

I would be happy to rebook them.....of course for the $100 change fee and applicable fare difference.  Big grin

HlywdCatft

Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:47 pm

The Muslim leaders in America or elsewhere have still not come out and openly condemned 9-11, nor have they done a whole lot of charity work for it. Yes some small groups of Muslims have contributed. But then in Detroit area gas stations owned by Arabs, there was a 9-11 Fund and the money ended up going to Al Qaida.

Would these same liberal people and ACLU who are always feeling sorry for the "poor discriminated against" muslims feel the same way if there were Christian terrorists that did a similar act? Or would they jump on the bandwagon and now demand that the ten commandments be pulled from everything?

Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:48 pm

UAL 777: "WNFAN,
Your comments are making me sick, what are you a liberal democrat?"

Means: all americans who have different oppinion to us-administration are bad liberal democrats? In our country it's a honour to be liberal and to be a democrate. Every party wants to be liberal.
I always heared that US-people say comunism is bad. Now the US changed to right-wing and now even liberals and democrats are bad?
Poor country!

acvitale

Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:10 pm

Ok.. I am not a fan of Bush's war designed to keep the US citizens from watching the economy crater and his mis management of government supervision of big business(a'la Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, Worldcom, Enron etc.)

Nor do I like his energy policy or his enviormental destruction mandates

Nor am I a fan of the rampant destruction of our civil rights under the bush administration....

But....

Coming in to FLL with a business card of a suspect organization to raise money for an "Islamic School".

Well I saw CNN and the BBC and learned about these wonderful youth hate training schools. Learn to hate the world and kill citizens of civilized countries in the name of Islam.

I learned about the money laundering through these "Charitable organizations" that goes to fund the PLO and blow up bus loads of innocent civilians in the name of Islam.

I learned about how the money makes it way to buy explosives, and arms used to bomb night clubs in Indonesia and planes full of people...

I watched planes fly into the Pentagon and WTC on 9/11

I see the bombing and sabatoge in Iraq by extremist who kill mosques full of people in the name of Islam...

To bad they sent them back to Canada. Maybe some time in Gitmo might have uncovered more terrorist before they did their evil fund raising from "innocent" US Muslims who donate generously and willingly to these hate groups and hate schools.

Maybe we should have followed them with the FBI and found who was donating to these terrorist front funding Imans...

We need to respect civil rights and what has been going on is reprehensable in some cases but, In this case I am all for it.

Remind me to congradulate US customs in FLL when I go through this afternoon.