BO__einG
Topic Author

Yo YYZ, YYC Is Comin Over For C-Day.

Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:59 pm

Hi guys,

As a spotter and a photographer of airliners I have spent basically my entire life living in Calgary and spending my time at my local YYC.
Rarely have i travelled to other cities for the purpose of spotting at their airport. Because I only go to places like the mountains and Banff.
Over the years, YYC has become a better and busier airport with lots of interesting stuff and has been the host of some very important events like the debut of the first 737NG, and the G8 summit. But compared to the busier airports in Canada, YYC was the underdog succeeding mainly in regional traffic but still lacking bigtime with foreign international stuff other than time to time charters like ANA.
However this summer things have began to change as I finally for the first time in a few years went to other places for the sake of aviation.
Saskatoon was my first visit mainly for its airshow and that was satisfactory cuz my zoom lens broke when I got there but managed to shoot well with my 28mm. My second trip was a few weeks ago at Vancouver. It was the second time I have visited this city for the purpose of plane spotting and that was a HUGE success hammering almost everything with big thanks to Rindt and Austen for everything.

Now the time has come for me to come and visit the big, and famous, the mighty Toronto LBP Airport. Originally I planned for the labor day week but the news of the Concorde gave me good reason to postpone my trip.

So to all you YYZ folks and other Canadians, I will be coming down to YYZ on Monday September 29 and depart on the evening of October 3rd.
I will fly inbound on WestJet #698 arriving at 1240 EST, and depart at 1930EST on Jetsgo SG197 back to calgary. I will be coming with my buddy Shane (WJV04 on the forums) on the inbound but he and I will leave on separate flights. We both plan on having a great time there and we are very anxious to meet some of you guys who represent this airport.

When good friend Kris Bryan (VonRichofen) was there a while back he was telling me how much of a good time he had there and how awesome you guys were and now we certainly look forward to meeting all you guys as well. I saw that group picture with Kris and its certainly bigger than the YYC group.  Smile

But with YYZ itself, this will be an experience unlike anything else. Sure I have been to YVR a few weeks back and that is a big and busy airport but YYZ will be a totaly different story. I am used to the short drive around my local airport to get around to various spotting locations. And with 3 runways and 2 only being used for commercial traffic, there isnt too much hassle but YYZ has a whopping 5 runways all for Commercial traffic, I am going to have migrains navigating my way around.

Also Shane and I are working hard to find accomodations and other vital things once there but due to the fact that he and I are both only 18, the problem is difficult to solve.

Heres the breakdown with problems currently facing:

1) Accomodation.. Finding a cheap motel or hotel close to the airport.
2) transportation. Car rental is inafforable for both of us and city transit is unfamiliar plus unreliable. Cabbie is too expensive and walk by foot is suicide.
3) Familiarity(Spotting), where to go, when to go, how to get there, etc.

Shots that I would like to get:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Grant Feggi

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Kay

Otherwise we are good to go.
I really look forward to reading your responces whether its the YYZ guys or anybody else who plans on joining as I know there will be guys from YWG, YVR and the USA coming down. Some assitance with the problems listed above would be greatly appreciated as well. I will of course keep posting any updates or changes in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks alot y'all.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Bo Kim
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

emiratesa345

RE: Yo YYZ, YYC Is Comin Over For C-Day.

Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:44 pm

Hello!

I flying out on BA097 Concorde on October 2nd! I am only 17 BTW. I'll be staying a night in New York and then returning on October 3rd. I planned my whole trip online.

http://www.ba.com
for my Concorde ticket

http://www.hotels.com
for accommodation

http://www.jetsgo.net
for my return flight

I recommend checking out http://www.hotels.com as their fares are excellent! I found a great one that I'm very happy with!

Spotting I can't help you with as I don't do it. I can tell you however that the view from T1 rooftop is quite good.

Transportation is also something I can't really help you with. If you plan on just staying around the airport, you can take the blue busses which I think are free. I may be wrong.

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

wjv04

Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:46 pm

Hey guys, yeah were coming, bo has his flights booked allready, me im still waiting for a WJ buddy pass to come though. To all the YYZ guys, hehe i told you i would come down eventually.

And as bo said, our problem is accomidation, ive been turned down at 6 different hotels, even though my mom is giving her credit card for authorization.... So hopefully i can find one soon, then ill book the flights. I hope we can all meet up when were there. I will know on tues about the hotel and flights.
I would hate to have to miss this oppertunity to come down, and spot at canadas greatest airport.
Ill keep ya informed

emiratesa345

Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:53 pm

If the hotels do not let you in, consider staying at a youth hostel.

I have my own credit card, and I still had that problem at some hotels.

Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:55 pm

Hey guys, you can e-mail me/find me on MSN. I work at YYZ, and would be happy to show you around as much as possible, and can probably help hook you up with a hotel. Just getin touch if you want any help. Will do whatever I can.

captaingomes

Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:14 am

Hey, great to know you two can make it! It's too bad it is during the week, as most of us are fairly busy, but I'm sure you will still find the hospitality more than friendly.

Regarding hotels, I agree with EmiratesA345, that hotels.com is probably the best website for that purpose. Problem with hotels is that they want a credit card under the person's name, same as car rentals. Maybe you two should convince Kris to come again, and he'll pay for everything! He'll even rent a state of the art Pontiac Sunfire for your transportation needs.  Big grin

Feel free to contact me through my profile. One side note, if you have sympatico accounts, I will not receive the email, so just say so and I'll give you an alternate email.

Keep us posted!

Nuno.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Lufthansa747

Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:53 am

Your best bet for any decent hotels would be Priceline I suppose. Recent winning bids include

3* YYZ Airport Marriott USD 30
3* YYZ Airport Radisson Suites USD 34
2* YYZ Airport Quality Hotel USD 26
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

wjv04

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:16 am

I have tryed everything, even with mothers credit card for authroization, they all still say no. Ive tryed 17 hotels still with no dice. The one that will allow us is a inconvient motel called white knight motel, its on Derry and Dixie... We wont have transportation to the spotting areas we would like. If anyone is planning on doing some spotting during this week, could we possiblly tag along?

YWG

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:38 am

I will most likely non rev it down there for the day from YWG. Just to see her on Oct 1st. I called BA up and apparently she arrives at 3:30pm from LHR.
Blair
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

rindt

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:53 am

The west-coast will be nicely represented at the T-dot. I will be arriving on the 30th, and departing the evening of the 5th. So, will be good to meet some new faces, catch up with some old ones, see the Concorde, and attend the aviation show on Saturday.

-Rob
What other people think of you is none of your business!

fallingeese

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:54 am

Hey Bo, let's see who can plug our photo the most....go!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark McWhirter

Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

captaingomes

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:54 am

Wjv04, that is not such a bad location, and it's walking distance to some spotting areas! That is right on the north west corner of YYZ, and very close to the approach path for 05, which is often used. I wouldn't consider that inconvenient at all.

Regarding tagging along for some spotting, I'm up for that, and eventhough I wont name names, I'm sure a couple of others are willing to help out in that regard too. Lots of people will be around, eventhough it will be during the week.

No chance of changing it so you get at least one weekend day in? I can guarantee it will be worth it!
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

northstardc4m

Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:14 pm

well nice to see, i was gonna start a new thread on Wednesday to get everyones feelings about the 1st and 2nd, ill be there those days...
BTW, don't suppose anyone could call up the GTAA and get a number we can call those days if theres a problem with a certain "group"?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

captaingomes

Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:17 pm

Northstar, wont be necessary. There will be literally hundreds of people around the airport, so a small group of about 10 or 15 wont make a difference really.

Glad you will make it too!

BO__einG
Topic Author

Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:57 pm

Hey everybody.

Some updates:
Shane (WJv04) has successfully booked the White Knight Motel near the 05 runway. Big thanks goes to him for scouring almost every place around YYZ. Hopefully once there, we will be able to settle in. I asked Kris to come with us again while spotting today.. bah, he said he can't this time around cuz of his so called busy schedule. Right man..Right...  Smile

Unfortunetly, no matter how tempting Saturday is, I just won't be able to push it that far as I can only have so much days off before my boss at work gets unhappy. Hopefully the stuff that comes in on Saturday will come in again on one of the weekdays.

I also plan on bringing a 4 foot step ladder to use for photography. Will that be okay?
As YYZ is so much busier and if my ladder has a chance of luring cops or airport security then I probably should not want to tangle myself into that matter.

I will contact a few of you guys privately as well in the coming days. I am checking flytecomm each day to monitor what comes in and what time.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

captaingomes

Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:10 pm

Hey, glad you guys could make it! Now about Kris ... cheap excuses!

I would advise against the step ladder though, don't do anything to get the attention of the local police or the GTAA security guards. It's really not worth it unfortunately.

fallingeese

Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:16 pm

My excuse is better, I have a football game the next day...and I have school, not that that stopped me from going to Westjet today....lol....cough cough.

Small chance that I will use some passes and go for a day.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

VonRichtofen

Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:29 pm

Hey man, I've got school too.

Seriously, I wish I could come but unfortunatley I can't spend the money and I don't have the time  Sad You guys should come out here one of these days...The spotting would be boring but think of how much fun you'll have with no PST!!  Big thumbs up

It's too bad Bo and Shane aren't legal drinking age in Ontario. Then Captaingomes and some of the other YYZ'ers can take you to the Slick Pimp or whatever that bar is called, lol.

Also a word of warning: DO NOT under any circumstance say anything bad about Volkswagens when either Nuno or Awspicous is present. Trust me..  Big grin

wjv04

Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:01 pm

AMERICAN MUSCLE TILL I DIE!!!!!!!

No seriously, Everything is all good now, were gonna be there!

BO__einG
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:11 pm

6 more days until YYZ. Boy just thinking about it makes me excited and warm inside. I can't wait to see all the variety and the movements on next Monday.

Right now I am happy to say that many problems faced have been solved. However some other problems still remain at this time and both WJV04 and I are working on it to find a solution.

I will privately contact a few of you guys in the next 2 days.

CanadaEH

Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:01 pm

What flight you taking, Bo? I can check to see if you're taking 008  Smile
EH.

captaingomes

Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:44 pm

American muscle eh? GRRRRR. You will get plenty of exposure to American muscle in the form of public transit buses!  Big grin

I'm definitely looking forward to next week, especially with the visit of the Concorde.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:24 am

Hey Canada,

I will be flying on WestJet #698 0700hr departure local.
*fingers crossed in hopes that itd be 008*

emiratesa345

Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:43 am

I am also looking forward to next week! I can't wait for the departure of Concorde (with me on it).

ERRR oops.  Smile

Sorry about that Ual747, almost forgot.

a380

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:45 am

What's the ETA of Concorde on Oct 1... which runway?

emiratesa345

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:01 am

ETA is 1530

That is what I was told anyway.

EmiratesA345  Smile

northstardc4m

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:07 am

3:30pm local is what BA says  Smile, looking forward to next week fellas, should be a good get together, just hope the weather is good enough to make good spotting possible  Smile and we can talk politics too LOL, j/k...
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

captaingomes

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:31 am

Nah, we'll just discuss how YYZ is better than YUL.  Big grin

lymanm

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:17 pm

I think I'll make the trek west from Montreal...Concorde was never really a staple here, EVER. Although if I'm not mistaken, the first ever flight into YMX was the Concorde in 1977? I could be wrong...
buhh bye

gmonney

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:36 pm

Hey i got some wheels, I guess should take those two days off....I'm up for an all dayer with you guys. I think that the Captian would mention my name but i can speak for myself. Hey too bad you guys missed another kind of German car i had out spotting....hehehehe,

Contact me when you guys arrive, we can head to T1 for some fantastic night shots!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Grant Feggi
View Large View Medium

Photo © Grant Feggi

Just a few samples!

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

BO__einG
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:08 pm

Classic pictures Grant. You seem to have the upper hand for YYZ material for a.net.. Well you and Mike Kay.
Keep it up, I especially enjoy looking at the nightime pictures like those two plus the goodies on the T3.

Anyways.. 5 more days.. I think I am hardening up here.  Big grin

captaingomes

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:32 pm

The upper hand at YYZ for pics? No no no no no no no. Grant is getting half decent, but the one who really shines is Dripstick! Nobody can make pictures come alive quite like he can. Hopefully he will be at YYZ to catch the magic of the Concorde.

Hehehe, I'm in trouble now.  Smile I am kidding by the way, Grant has come a long way in very little time.

canuckpaxguy

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:41 pm

Hey guys,
As a relatively new YYZ spotter, I'm trying to find the best place to watch the Concorde arrive and/or depart. Any suggestions?

My usual spot is by the FedEx building, but for Concorde, I want a real spot.

If it's cool with you guys, do you mind if I join you at your spotting areas?

G

CanadaEH

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:01 am

Sorry Bo, not 008  Smile
EH.

captaingomes

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:26 am

Canuck, of course you can join us!

As for the best spot to watch the Concorde, there are going to be disagreements. As far as I know, the Concorde only operates out of 05/23 or 33R/15L. From T1, the view will only be good if 33R or 15L is used. If 15L is used though (very rare) there is a better spot by the north fire hall to view the landing.

If either 05 or 23 are used, then T1 really is not a good spot, because you will not get to see the touchdown and you are pretty far from the action. Therefore it is safe to assume that the Concorde is very likely to be landing on either 05 or 23. 05 is being used (my hope) then either FedEx or Dixie Rd. are fantastic spots to watch it arrive. If 23 is used, then along the fence by Airport Rd. is likely the best spot. Wendy's would be awesome too, but you would miss the touchdown.

I know many of us will disagree, but I think most spotters are going up to T1 for this, but I will unlikely be going up for the reasons I stated above. Of course, if I miss the landing because they send it to another runway that is not actively being used by other traffic, I will be pissed!!! I am going to speak a friend in ATC and find out what he knows about Concorde ops in YYZ with respect to runways, etc.

gmonney

Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:40 am

Thanks for the "SPOTTERS" best spots, not "US" Photographer would LOVE a 33L Arrival because of the sun. At that time of the day the sun in in your face from T1, so thats out, rwy 23, well the sun is head on and on rwy 05 is at the back....so we photographers won't have the best light to catch it. What i was thinking is if you want to take a long shot and see if they taxi it past the infield, well then, you could be in for a really great shot. (if i wasn't on a dial up modem at work i would post a pic from this location ((i have to search for one)) )

I guess we have to find a place that will both satisfy our spotting AND photography needs,

Grant
spotter AND photographer!

P.S. Sorry Captian had to make sure we think of EVERYONE, you know we have some guests to impress, we don't want to dissapionte anyone. As well we have the YYZ standard to maintain, you know YYZ is the best airport in Canada, and is not one of those underserved airports like YUL...LOL Joking guys!!

captaingomes

Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:15 am

Grant, you know how much I love 33L, but I was talking about the runways that Concorde could land on, and not from a photographer's or spotter's perspective, but operational. 33L as awesome as it is, is likely too short for the Concorde, so you wont see it come in there.

That's why, I think it can only be 33R, 15L, 05, 23 as the possibilities.

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:30 am

When the concorde last came to YYZ, do any of you guys remember the details about it operations wise?
I know at that time Pearson only had 3 runways right?

Maybe it will follow the same procedures as it did when it came many years back. Except that it won't park at T1..

gmonney

Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:05 am

Captain,

What I was saying is that we have to find a place that we can spot AND take pictues! I know that it needs a long rwy and will get what ever rwy it wants as well, i am just saying the lighting won't be great for the rwy's mentioned. Nothing more nothing less, and you honestly think that the GTAA will allow hundreds of people lining the side of silverdart to watch this thing....I DON"T THINK SO!!

Looking forward to your arrival guys, I think i am taking the day off...when you want to start the festivities...and once again, what time to i have to be there to see the take off on the 2nd?

Grant

Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:11 am

Hey Bo_eing, YYZ has 5 rwys...

I'm working October 3rd evening, so I'm hoping I can catch it depart.  Smile

Dash8King

Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:28 am

Nuno will take you guys for a beer, won't you Nuno?

captaingomes

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:47 pm

Mr. king, if you send a cheque, I'll definitely buy everybody a beer!  Smile

rindt

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:56 pm

Myself and Richard Austen will be in town the 30th-5th October... would be great to meet some of you guys. I'm also looking for some good watering-holes and clubs in the area... any ideas, drop me a line...

As for the Concorde... bar none, the "33" runways would be the best, as it's bascically a north-south spot, so you'd be facing east with the sun at your back.
Now all we need is some sun.  Smile

-Rob
What other people think of you is none of your business!

Dash8King

Well I am sure they will buy you a Bud for your hospitality????

gmonney

FAT CHANCE, you would keep the money. Nuno will show you the watering hole and enjoy his Extra Large Earl Gray Tea, "4 sugars please" If he offers to get coffee...don't its always cold. And, there are soooo many coffee spots around the airport, it easier and hotter if you go yourself!!

Wow its getting closer and closer....I simply can't wait!

Grant

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:33 pm

Good stuff. I really look forward to the big C Day and its coming up fast! Count me in for the beer and clubs.. If I get kicked out then fine.. I will watch Scary Movie 3 or something...

Regardin WestJet YYZ's statement, yes YYZ does have 5 runways but when the SST first came in like 1973(?) Pearson only had 3 runways. Or maybe 4 if that diagonal strip where the T3 site was actually considered a runway.

How many Tim Horton's are littered in and around YYZ? 10 or more??  Smile

VonRichtofen

Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:28 pm

Horny Tims are everywhere man...

BO__einG
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:16 pm

Hey some more updates.

Although my main plan is to stick around CYYZ spotting. I will also definetly not rule out any sightseeing around the TO area.
I didn't come to this city to just look at planes. Although cool and addictive I also plan on visiting CN Tower and hopefully Niagra Falls during my stay. To my understanding NFalls is not too far from TO. Maybe about 150km or so??
Would anyone be interested in these two trips during the Concorde visit week?

I know that on the Important days I wont even think about leaving YYZ area, but like on the day of my departure I'd like to have a nice way of ending an incredible experience with an even more incredible experience.  Smile
Even if some are willing for just CN Tower, please include me.

Also, how high are the perimeter fences at YYZ? Here at YYC its about 6.5' from base to 3rd wire.

gmonney

Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 am

I would say the fences are around 7 ft... or a little more, i was joking about getting a cherry picker and getting over the fence...or one of those van's that have a bucket and crane...!!

Ok, I have Oct. 1 off, who is up for some spotting in the morning, nothing really comes in but I am up for anything? Let me know when we want to start the festivites? I am going to be around from morning till night~!!

Grant

C-GRYK

Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:05 am

Sweet, I managed to convince our instructor/teacher to cancel our in class for Oct. 1st so I should be there until around 5 PM. Hope to meet some new faces and catch up with some old ones! I will not hesitate however, to put myself into the BEST photographic spot for the arrival, even if that means breaking away from the group. But seeing as how there will be quite a few photographers in attendance, I have a feeling the group's movement will be dictated by sun angles that day, lol.

Jeremy
Think before you type!