jhooper

Are Airshows Worth The Risk?

Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:14 am

There's a poll going on right now on CNN. It really surprises me how many people don't think they're worth the risk, given all the safety precautions taken. Okay, there was an accident yesterday, but nobody was hurt!

http://www.cnn.com

Are air shows worth the risk?

Yes 53% 40797 votes

No 47% 35519 votes
Total: 76316 votes

Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

JBirdAV8r

RE: Are Airshows Worth The Risk?

Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:26 am

It's only dangerous if the participants don't know what they're doing, like at small, rural airshows with relatively inexperienced pilots.

I once saw a Helio Courier piloted by a private pilot with under 200 hours total time do a demonstration of the airplane at an airshow. Winds were reported at 12 knots gusting to 37 (it was a very blustery day, I know a VERY experienced pilot who later that day groundlooped his biplane in these conditions), but he demonstrated slow flight--RIGHT OVER the crowd. The crowd was awed, but I was really concerned. Helio Couriers can travel at VERY slow airspeeds (i think somewhere around 35-40 knots), and because of the strong headwind this guy was practically hovering, around 100 feet (if that height) in the air directly over the crowd. If the wind had dropped off suddenly like it had been doing all day long, it would have been all over.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

contrails

Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:30 am

I've been to a number of airshows, I've always enjoyed them, and I think the risk is minimal.

I am concerned, however, about the jet fuel consumed at these shows. As much as I like airshows, with the situation in the world as it is and with petroleum as expensive as it is I wonder if we can't do without them.

Flying Colors Forever!

DoorsToManual

Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:36 am

"CNN" + "Poll" = you can safely ignore it.

gigneil

Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:09 am

"CNN" + "Poll" = you can safely ignore it.

I disagree. CNN is a well respected polling source.

That doesn't mean that public opinion is well informed - but CNN is a good barometer of it nonetheless.

N

StevenUhl777

Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:12 am

To answer the question, let me ask another....does the sun rise in the east?

The same question could be asked about hydroplane races, stock car races, motorcycle races, etc. etc. etc....

A lot of these mini-polls on CNN and other places are geared towards emotional feelings at the moment.
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

DoorsToManual

Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:19 am

Well, this will be my last comment given I don't want this thread to turn into a question of what importance we should attach to internet polls, or different news organizations.

A lot of it has to do with the way in which the question is worded, and recent events.

In my opinion, if I were conducting the same poll I would certainly not have added the word "risk" to the question. A loaded question if ever I saw one...

As for "public opinion", I would be careful to rely on the media (ANY media) as an accurate rep of public opinion. The media can be very creative (as can the state in controlling it) when it wants.

That's just my opinion, and I don't expect you all to agree with me.

Of course, my views have somewhat been shaped by the scandal of media and government 'spin' here in the UK....

jhooper

Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:33 am

I am concerned, however, about the jet fuel consumed at these shows. As much as I like airshows, with the situation in the world as it is and with petroleum as expensive as it is I wonder if we can't do without them.

Military airshows are used for recruiting and P.R. value, and as such I believe they do a pretty good job.

Oh well, the poll is over anyway.

[Edited 2003-09-15 20:36:04]
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Are Airshows Worth The Risk?

Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:29 am

Jhooper: "Military airshows are used for recruiting and P.R. value, and as such I believe they do a pretty good job."
Why don't you see hollywood-movies like "The Patriot", they are for P.R. and for recruiting, too. Also this damn war-toys for children.
And less dangerous - "only" dangerous for brain.

bhill

Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:02 am

Yup....they are worth it..safer than baseball games...how many times have you seen a ball screaming foul that has struck and injured fans...however, if you read the back of the ticket..and here in Seattle, the big displays on the scoreboard,warn you of the "dangers" of flying balls, and bats. Sooo...attend at your own risk. As or fuel..don't be absurd..ALOT more fuel is turned into air pollution at auto...motorcycle...racing boats...snowmobile races..etc. etc. than at airshows...hell..or for rocket launches for that matter

Cheers,

Bob

Carpe Pices

dc-10 levo

Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:10 am

I'd vote yes to this question. I went to the RAF Air Tattoo in July 2001 and it was brilliant. I think I'm going again this year to the one in Fairford.

DC-10

HlywdCatft

Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:13 am

Two seasons ago at a Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL Hockey) game a player shot a puck, it deflected over the glass and killed a 12 year old girl. NHL's solution was to put up nets to keep deflected pucks from hitting the fans.

Perhaps airshows just need a little more safefy guidelines, although I dont know of any civilians recently being killed at airshows

NASCAR is dangerous too, is it worth the risk? Millions of people go to NASCAR events just like millions of people go to airshows. Apparently not that many people find it that dangerous.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos