airways

Austrian's New Corporate Identity

Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:50 pm

I have just checked the Austrian Airlines homepage and I noticed that they have changed their identity today. The most significant changes are:

- The "Airlines" was dropped. It's just "Austrian" now.
- They are introducing a new logo
- Blue bellies for their aircraft, even the NG ones, as it looks
- Tyrolean will be called "Austrian Arrows" (operated by Tyrolean)

You can get more information at their homepage: http://www.aua.com. or directly at http://www.aua.com/at/deu/Austrian/Austrian_new/.

What do you all think about it?

Michael
http://airsider.net

Unique

RE: Austrian's New Corporate Identity

Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:52 pm

Michael, if this is true, I'm very much looking forward to seeing it soon (hopefully through my camera in bright sunshine!).

airways

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:00 pm

Unique: Well, if it isn't true, the guy who's responsible for the website will have to look for a new job now.  Big grin

I'm looking forward to see the new livery on a real plane soon. From the pictures, I don't really like the blue belly, but it will probably look better in reality.

Michael

mozart

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:01 pm

Does not really look like a spectacular improvement, but what I find interesting is the complete integration (so it seems) even brand-wise of the Lauda planes. Does that mean that the NG 777s will be painted in that Austrian scheme as well?

Also, to what extent does this indicate a complete integration of the NG operations from a fleet policy point of view as well? I mean, it does not make sense having two sub-scale fleets of Airbus and Boeings with OS and NG in parallel, does it?

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:07 pm

Hmmm, different: nice ideas like the shaddow of the bird, but I don't like the bird. Everything else is fine.

Andreas

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:11 pm

Hmmm, not sure if I like that blue belly, who came up with that colour???
And Austrian Arrows sounds pretty much like Red Arrows...does that mean that from now on they'll fly to their destinations with all their fleet in formation
 Confused
As for the logo: Why not a red crane...? *runningforcover* Big grin

[Edited 2003-09-16 12:30:53]
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

DoorsToManual

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:12 pm

Will wait for a photo or until I see it myself. "Austrian Arrows" sounds silly in English, they should have left it as Tyrolean.

rgds

TriStar500

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:25 pm

I must have totally missed the announcement of an upcoming corporate ID change/ update. Still, the updated colors and logo look pretty good IMO.

On the other hand, "Austrian Arrows" sounds incredibly stupid, just like a third-rate football or ice hockey team. Big grin
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

StarFlyer

Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:38 pm

The blue looks tacky, the bird looks vintage - I dont like it at all, also that weird grey shade under the bird! WTF!
This wont be good, and Austrian Arrows sounds dumb too!
Yours truly - StarFlyer

Rotate

Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:02 pm

I like it ..... , guess it will look great in real .....

robin
ABC

BRUN258

Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:13 pm

Austrian arrows : "Austrian errors"

airways

Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:55 pm

I just got some more news. They're all from the Austrian press, I don't know whether these news haev been confirmed by AUA. Their press office didn't even release a press release until now...

1. A first Bombardier Q400 is already painted with the new colours since today. Watch out!

2. Next plane will be a A330 in November. Don't they feel the need to paint all those white Tyrolean planes now?

3. They will also change the service concept on short flights by 27. October. Tickets will be cheaper, but no more service for Economy passengers. They will charge for food. Furthermore, the business class product will be upgraded. Doesn't that sound familiar?  Smile

4. According to AUA, the new corporate image is costing about 1.5 Million Euro, plus 800'000 Euro to paint the planes till 2005. I have the impression that these numbers are pretty low...

Michael

gerardo

Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:05 pm

To use the same comments used, when SWISS was presented: "Austrian? Austrian what?"  Wink/being sarcastic

Seriously: Nice tail, boring title, interesting fuselage, but what does the blue color stand for?

Anyway, I'll have my camera ready and probably will join some fellow ZRH photogs soon  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cheers
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

plugger

Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:13 pm

The blue is ghastly. The logo is dumb. Another "so what" remake by another good airline who needs to hire another ad agency.  Yawn

PUnmuth@VIE

Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:44 pm

More info can be found here
http://www.aua.com/at/deu/Austrian/Austrian_new/
and an artists impression of the Q-400 can be seen on our website
http://www.vap-group.at

IMHO it will take a long time to get used to this cs thez look verz hmmmmm strange at least.

Peter VAP-Group
-

Sabena332

Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:48 pm

I don't like it, especially the blue belly looks strange. The old livery was way better than this.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

airways

Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:49 pm

Hey Peter, what are you doing in this forum today? Go out to the airport and get that first Q400!  Wink/being sarcastic

Michael

PUnmuth@VIE

Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:59 pm

Michael, i wish i could but i am not @ VIE today. Furthermore it is said that the first one will come to INN todaz and to VIE tomorrow. Other sources say that the first two will be delivered to VIE on Sunday. we will see who gets them first. I bet on one of the VAP-Group members (except me) or on one of the INN guys
Peter - VAP-Group
-

BRUN258

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:02 pm

Peter, fyi the aircraft is in Innsbruck now.

andrej

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:05 pm

The web-page looks nice.

What does the blue stands for? Probably, we all need to get used to it, but I miss the "old" one! That was classic!

Cheers,

Andrej Lippay

airways

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:12 pm

Peter: No problem, I think we will see the first one soon enough.

Michael

fritzi

Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:14 pm

I was at VIE for a couple of hours today but the new ugly bird was nowhere to be seen.

I´m probably going out tomorrow again to see if I can catch a video of it landing.

Anyone have any idea when it will arrive tomorrow???

Rickster

Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:11 am

the 1 min video at the 5 pm news on austrian tv wasn´t that bad, the a-332 animation looks good in the new colors, i am not sure if i like the "very green" seats in eco with this yellow headrest covers....
something i really didn´t get yet, "logo" "name" and "angel" from lauda air shall be kept but what about the rest, will the planes get the "Austrian" paint scheme hybrid with the Lauda letters on or do they keep the complete Lauda brand and paint scheme?
rgds rickster

Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:40 am

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Guys, I'm just coming back from my home airport , INN.

Shot about 20 pictures of the first Dash8Q-400 in Austrian Errow...err... Arrows livery  Laugh out loud

I guess it will not be an error, because the livery looks awesome in real life and I think it was a very good decision to call it "Arrows" - because just renaming Tyrolean to " Austrian Express or Austrian Regional" would have been boring.

As I said - the aircraft looks awesome in real life.

I've already contacted magazines like Aero and Airliner World, so watch out for the bird  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

AWESOME!!!  Big thumbs up

BCALPRIDE

Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:52 am

Hmmmm I wasn't too sure when I saw the illustration above (Infact I didn't like it at all!!!) untill I tried doing a clearer job to see what it would look like.

I don't mind it anymore. I saw an artists impression of the Dash8Q-400, and the blue under belly is much lighter than the illustration above. so i use the lighter blue too.

here have a look.

http://www.freewebs.com/abrahamwings/OS%20blue%20sky.bmp.jpg

Enjoy.

BCalPride

[Edited 2003-09-16 18:00:00]

birka340

Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:32 am

I think the new red arrowlogo, looks like the head of the bird from the Lufthansa Logo. What do you think?
Is this a way to show OS & LHs partnership?

Fly-K

Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:01 am

Spotterboy, in addition to claiming your well-earned fame in the magazines, are you trying to upload your photo to the usual websites too? By the time we see your photos in the magazines, they're probably not newsworthy anymore.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

codeshare

Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:24 am

The AUA livery is going back to what it was before - I mean the arrow on the fuselage, only this time it's modified. The blue belly doesn't look so good for me. They should make the engines on that Dash red.

Whatever, I'd like to see LOT's livery modified, but it's going to tale a long time.

Where's the Star Alliance logo going to be placed in the new livery?
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

LH526
Crew

Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:32 am

I'm quite unstable on my oppinion about that nwe CID. In my eyes it looks a little overstyled (in a negative way), I personally would have opted for a little more understatement like Swiss, SAS or Virgin Atlantic.
The logo is OK, so is the tail (not much improved/changed here) but that blue belly and the lightblue engine pylons .... let's see it in reality to finally judge it.
The livery minus the bue belly would look better IMHO.

However, what I like more is the interior design and architecture wich is way more promising than the livery.

Looking fresh & stylish with the right amount of understatement. Also the colour tones match well.

Mario
LH526

Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

clipperno1

Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:47 am

I just don't get what the purpose of the blue belly is supposed to be? It looks quite dumb in the graphic, as most, I haven't seen it in real life, but I'll keep my eyes open tomorrow at FRA.
With LH (*cough*Star Alliance) trying to consolidate the european air market with stakes hold of SAS,AUA and soon SWISS, I don't know why they haven't opted for a standard euro-white c/s. Not that I like it, but from the economical and marketing point of view it would make a lot of sense. Or will the blue belly be the 'trademark' of the LH Star Alliance, as it was once planed for the Qualiflyer Group?
"I really don't know one plane from the other. To me they are just marginal costs with wings."� Alfred Kahn, 1977

UnitedFirst

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:08 am

I'm kinda feelin' this new concept.

However, is it a slightly varied carbon copy of SWISS's concept? No doubt!!

My two thoughts:

(1) Does the new "wing"-type logo remind you a lot of Aerolineas Argentinas's condor, or is that just me?

(2) I wonder how Niki Lauda feels about all of this. Lauda Lesiure Line? Right...

Does anyone know exactly how these aircraft will be painted? Like will the ex-OS aircraft receive the new "Austrian" colors, while the ex-NG & -VO aircraft will receive the same with slight variations (ie, "Lauda Leisure Line" & "Austrian Arrow")?

Let's see how this plays out...

-Derek

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:12 am

Konstantin:

I will of course try to upload my shots... but i don't think the quality will be good enough for A.Net due the fact im still shooting slides yet.

Ill get the pics on Thursday, so I think VIE spotters will be faster than me with uploading here..... At least leave PP.Net and JP.Net to me  Laugh out loud

Airbus-Insider

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:29 am

This Paint sheme looks very scandinavian...influence of CEO?!
In this year 15 ex Tyrolean Aircraft will get the new CI.
I guess the Lauda Paintsheme will stay like it is.
Airbus and Fokker Flyer

Vimanav

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:31 am

I have mixed feeling about the new c/s. It some how looks a bit like a cocktail of Swissair (the red part/styling of it), new BA, LH crane with the wing on the down-stroke (ironically looking like the old BA speedbird).

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

DoorsToManual

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:34 am

I forgot to add that the tail looks a little like the 'Speedo' trademark, the makers of swimwear & accessories.

BTW, do you remember the old AUA A321 with the famous Austrians' heads painted on the side?

When it arrived in LHR for the first time, the ATC officer asked 'Where's Hitler?'........somehow the pilots didn't see the joke.....

Airbus-Insider

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:40 am

check this out
A340
http://www.aua.com/at/deu/Austrian/Fleet/airbus+340/

F70
http://www.aua.com/at/deu/Austrian/Fleet/fokker+70/

A320
http://www.aua.com/at/deu/Austrian/Fleet/airbus+320/
Airbus and Fokker Flyer

L.1011

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:48 am

Yep, yet another airline with a great livery seriously messes up. Uh huh, wooooops Austrian, someone needs to put their joint down and leave the goddamn livery alone!!!!!!!! WTF???!!!!!!!!

copaair737

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:49 am

could we see Austrian Airlines fly to SFO anytime in the near future?
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

AF-A319

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:55 am

I think that this new visual identity looks very weak in terms of branding.
To me, it evokes more a food company than an airline.

Another think is that it contrats a lot with the corporate identity of Lufthansa, their #1 partner, which has a much more conservative and solid image.

Britair

Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:58 am

Is it just me, or does the new "arrow" look just like the old BOAC/BA Speedbird????

jcs17

Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:06 am

Ughhh.... I loved the old Austrian livery, it was one of the classiest in the sky. This livery with the blue belly looks cheap as hell.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

copaair737

Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:09 am

all the classic liveries are starting to get "modified" and it really makes them look shitty. look at HA's livery. they modified it, and it doesnt look nearly as good as the old one. I wonder what carrier is next. probably AA. theyll want to "modify" it and it will never be as good as the chrome w/ red/white/blue cheatline.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:11 am

Guys... Just want to add... the fact that the "crane" looking sign is on the fuselage, has NOTHING TO DO with Lufthansa !!!

The airline just had that sign before the current Austrian livery and now they decided to use it on...

BTW: Just as an add...

The first AUSTRIAN aircraft for wearing the new colors will be an A330-200
and the livery was designed by Landor, who also designed BA, SQ , TG , SK , ect......

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Airbus-Insider

Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:15 pm

and this thing has nothing to do with LH. LH should change their painting soon...
Airbus and Fokker Flyer

Fly-K

Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:19 pm

Indeed, the guys from VAP are first:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Yakfreak - VAP

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

triple7300

Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:39 pm

Another pictcture from that new Livery:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andy Graf - VAP

Andy

TriStar500

Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:41 pm

Judging from the photograph, the general design of the logo and font type are quite appropriate IMO - stylish but still a bit conservative and understated.

The bright blue belly needs some time to get used to, but could actually become a nice way to differentiate the aircraft from the "Eurowhite" competition.

About the baby blue engine nacelles - I thought only low cost carrier had an affection for garish color tones. Big grin They should leave'em white.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Udo

Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:23 pm

The blue is quite ok, but 'Austrian Arrows'? Almost the same BS as 'powered by Condor'.

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

Rickster

Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:44 am

ah, the reality looks better then the animation....the blue belly is fine, all over to me it has a little "scandinavian touch" like....IKEA?
cheers

femalefan

Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:35 am

Saw the new colours live in Graz today. I think it looks great!
Indeed, the blue is a little strange, but not that bad.
The thing on the tail should not be a bird, but a 3D-impression of the old Austrian arrow.
All in all, the new colours make the Q400 look newer and shinier.
Regards