kilavoud

Somebody Already Seen His Own Contrails?

Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:04 am

It is a nice experience when you can see the contrails of your own plane.
In a 747-400 you can see two big contrails at the same time and how they are jutting out one from another because of the different position of the two engines on each wing. Go next time in the rear of the plane, look outside and behind, and enjoy it. Your feeling of flying will be greater. Regards. Kilavoud.

Chgoan

RE: Somebody Already Seen His Own Contrails?

Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:22 am

I remember this myself too. Saw them on a flight to Australia once as the sun was coming up and i was waiting for the lav in the rear. was surprised i was actually able to see them, or the start of them anyway.

Rick767

Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:27 am

If the conditions are right these are clear even on a 763 from the rear door window or even the rear windows. Have seen them many times whilst visiting the gents down the back  Big grin

Quite a cool sight, certainly makes you appreciate the aircrafts forward speed far more than usual at cruise level.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Captain Moya

Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:40 am

I didn't know it was possible to see your own contrails until a flight 4 months ago. I was on a Continental 777 from EWR to IAH and we were cruising at FL 350. I was sitting in the last row on the starboard side of the aircraft. If I looked out the window and behind, I could see the contrails forming up.

Birdwatching

Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:50 am

A truly impressive sight... I have seen it on both Lufthansa A330 and A340, FRAJFK and EWRFRA, respectively. Nice chat with the FAs in the rear galley, too. Cuz' that's the place you have to go if you want to see the contrails.

Shame on Boeing! They have these tiny ugly round windows in their Exit doors, plus there is some kind of lens inside them, so you get a headache after looking for 20 seconds. I've experienced this on a recent CO AMSEWR flight, there I saw the conetrails too. Luckily, the last seat row was empty so I got a glimps. Unluckily, three male flight attendants worked the rear galley at that time...

BTW... pictures, anyone? (No, not of the male flight attendants. Of the contrails.

BTW... conEtrails or contrails?
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Rick767

Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:35 pm

"Shame on Boeing! They have these tiny ugly round windows in their Exit doors, plus there is some kind of lens inside them, so you get a headache after looking for 20 seconds"

They are designed that way as wide-angle viewing windows so that the cabin crew can see any hazards outside prior to opening the exit in an emergency (e.g. fire)
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

StarFlyer

Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:51 pm

Its a bit hard to see but here's a photo, taken aboard SQ26 SIN-FRA through the very last window. Its the 2nd one from the top.
http://www.geocities.com/falkowestphalen/sq26.htm
Yours truly - StarFlyer

Ikarus

Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:04 pm

I've seen them on a lot of planes by now, including 738s (Ryanair). Sit far enough to the back, and you can often see them. Also, ever looked out for the horizontal tails? I was delighted when I first noticed that you can see that, too....

Regards

Ikarus

La Carlota

Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:43 pm

Also you can get an interesting 'view' of your own contrails when there is a very high layer of clouds and the sun is shining from the back of the plane. The shadow it projects over the clouds comes with the contrails included. I've experienced this a few times, the last one on my MUC-BOS flight, last Sept. 7th on a LH A-330. Very nice.
Tango Tango Fox

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos