petazulu

Los Cabos Airport- What Service

Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:45 am

I can't seem to find a website for it, and I have done a search on a.net.

I would like some pictures on this airport in Mexico as well as any info on the airport itself. More importantly, what airlines fly there. It seems like Frontier (denver), Alaska (lax), Continental (houston), American (dallas), and Aero Mexico (mexico city) are the only scheduled operators. Is this true?

It is soooo expensive! I was wondering if anyone knew any other operators or alternatives. Is the airport very small? I am going from NYC in November and was just doing some research....

Any help most appreciated.

clickhappy

RE: Los Cabos Airport- What Service

Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:57 am

San Francisco, CA Alaska
San Diego, CA Alaska
Los Angeles, CA Alaska

Los Angeles, CA Aero California
Guadalajara Aero California

San Diego, CA Aeromexico
Mexico City Aeromexico
Ontario, CA Aeromexico

Puerto Vallarta Allegro Air

Phoenix, AZ America West

Los Angeles, CA American
Dallas, TX American

Houston, TX Continental

Los Angeles, CA Mexicana
Mexico City Mexicana
Mazatlan Mexicana

Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:01 am

There aren't really any alternatives. There's La Paz, the provincial capital, but I think they only have AeroCalifornia and maybe one other domestic carrier. Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan are a day's ferry ride away. It's a two day drive from the cheapest alternate: San Diego.

as739x

Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:32 am

Petazulu-there is really no alternate to SJD. LAP is 3 hours away and has very lilit service. Alaska pulled out of there due to low demand. Loreto is half way up the pennisula and has even less service.
SJD has 2 terminals. The north is the older original one. All airlines except AS and some charters including Allegro use it. The south terminal built by Alaska is newer. Alaska runs 5 daily flight in the summer to SFO,LAX,and SAN. During the winter we fly 10-12 flight to those dest. and alaso SJC,SEA and PHX.
Air Canada and Northwest also service SJD seasonally. I think its on the ATA watch list.
N951U is correct. There not much alt. and save up
ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

CanadaEH

Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:37 am

World of Vacations or Air Transat vacations is chartering Westjet aircraft to fly there commencing late October I believe. Flights will depart from Vancouver, and aircraft will be a 737-700.
EH.

Tango-Bravo

Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:11 am

If, by "soooo expensive!" you are referring to airfares, keep in mind that somewhere around $90.00 of your ticket price is taxes relating to travel between the U.S. and Mexico. Of this, somewhere around $22.00 is the Mexico departure tax and about $19.00 tourist tax.

As for the SJD airport, it is relatively small. From what I could see, all boarding and deplaning are by airstairs rather than jetways. Passengers proceed to/from the terminal by foot (unless special assistance is needed) on the (concrete) tarmac. At SJD earlier this year, the Alaska 737-400 on which I arrived was deplaned by airstairs at both front and rear doors on the port side. It was a fun experience in that it was like stepping back into the 1960s when early jetliners usually used the same method for deplaning and boarding.

Another interesting feature of SJD not seen at most airports is the slight but very noticeable downhill taxiway from the runway to the terminal which means it is slightly uphill for aircraft taxiing to the runway. Also seen at SJD was a large selection of various bizjets, with both XA- and N- tail numbers, parked in an area immediately adjacent to the airline terminal.

petazulu

Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:47 pm

Thanks for all you answers guys! I did not realize Alaska had so many flights from different spots. I will probably go with Aero Mexico (JFK-Mexico City-Los Cabos) - but am also looking for a combo Jet-Blue- Alaska Ticket (if I can find one for cheaper).

Racers22

Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:44 am

Delta also provides service to Los Cabos from Atlanta. Flew there last March for over $600 bucks. Great area though.