PILOTALLEN

CVR Tapes?

Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:42 am

Hi I am working on a project for shcool and I need to open the report with a cvr tape. I am talkigna bout the post 9/11 effects ont he airline industry i was hoping that someone could show me where ic oudl get a transcript of flight 93 or whatever one of the 4 planes owuld be great but i need th transcript. thanks for the hlep -Josh Allen
Thats not flying, thats falling with style -Woody

OPNLguy

RE: CVR Tapes?

Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:59 am

To the best of my knowledge, CVR transcripts of any of the four 9/11 aircraft are not available. Unlike previous "traditional" accident investigations where the NTSB was the lead agency, the events of 9/11 were terrorist, criminal acts, and FBI was the lead agency. As such, folks shouldn't expect to see full NTSB-type reports with CVR transripts. The families may have been allowed to see them by the FBI, but I doubt you'll see and wide-spread release to the general public anytime in the near future.

Another option for you topic-wise was how all the flights that were in the air the morning of 9/11 were made to land ASAP when they decided to close the airspace. I've got some links, if that's an acceptable substitute topic.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

PILOTALLEN

Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:51 am

actaully ij ust found a site it is for flight 93 i thought i saw it before glad i found it i suppose, thanks for your help! -Josh Yeah i will add that in as well
Thats not flying, thats falling with style -Woody

Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:57 am

I thought you guys in the USA had a freedom of information act. Does it not apply in this case, perhaps because it was a terrorist act? On what grounds are the tapes kept secret?

united777fan

Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:27 am

I think that flight 93 and possibly the AA flight that went into the pentagon were the only CVR tapes that were found. The AA and UA flight's CVRs that it the World Trade Center were never found

AAR90

Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:15 am

I thought you guys in the USA had a freedom of information act. Does it not apply in this case, perhaps because it was a terrorist act? On what grounds are the tapes kept secret?

Exemption-5, FOIA. This instance also brings in criminal investigation authorizations as well.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos