727LOVER
Topic Author

LGA Bomb Incident Many Years Ago

Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:11 am

I understand JFK and LGA used to have nice open air observation decks. But there was a bomb incident at LGA back in the early 1970s and as a result both obs decks were permanently closed. Can someone tell me what happened?  Confused
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

OPNLguy

RE: LGA Bomb Incident Many Years Ago

Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:14 pm

If my memory works it was during the pre-Thanksgiving rush back in the late 1970s, 1977 or 1978, I think. I seem to recall that a bomb was left in a luggage locker, and it went off. Don't think they ever caught anyone, and I also seem to recall it being some kind of political deal involving Puerto Rican separatists. You might try a Google search to get more definitive information.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OPNLguy

Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:24 pm

Well, I was close... Just after Christmas, 1975...

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/12/24/ctv.laguardia/

(You'll have to cut-and-paste; I tried the < and > and it came out like this):

LAW/12/24/ctv.laguardia/>
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

cicadajet

Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:51 pm

The way I had remembered it, from watching TV as a kid, was that they didn't catch anyone and no one claimed responsibility..(But I couldn't link to the above..).

Anyway I wouldn't have possibly remembered it at all, except that on the TV news that night, there was this guy who had been injured being taken out - possibly even on a stretcher, I can't be sure after all this time. But, he's all bloodied and bandaged.....and there's a TV reporter with a microphone in the guy's face..

Reporter asked some kind of question, and the guy on the stretcher says something to the effect of: "I'd like to get ahold of the guy that did this..I would put his head in a vice and squeeze and squeeze and squeeze and squeeze...". I remember thinking positively about those sentiments.

The JFK observation decks were scaled back slowly..a little bit here a little bit there..first the piers at IAB...then the center part...then the inside was limited for space..then you had to go to restaurant..finally it was all gone. I had thought this all began to happen prior to the incident here, but perhaps I am mistaken about some of that.

There was a spate of hijackings in the early/mid 70s and the MiddleEastern crap with Airliners started up. The observation deck within JFK tower closed prior to this incident..of that I am sure.

Tom

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos