flyboy80

Horizon Air Announces New Partnership W/ Frontier

Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:11 pm

Horizon airlines announced not to long ago that begining on January 1st they will begin operating Regional jets from Denver international airport on behalf of frontier jet express.... GO QX!!!

flyboy80

RE: Horizon Air Announces New Partnership W/ Frontier

Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:15 pm

Yes, I know this topic has been mentioned before, but it needs some freshining up!

MSYtristar

Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:20 pm

Bottom line: CR7's are perfect aircraft for opening new markets from DEN and possibly adding service to existing markets that don't require 2 or 3 full size jets. I could easily see us expanding into markets like CMH, SAT, and BNA...maybe even GEG...with this new partnership. Win/win situation for both carriers!

Steve in MSY

timbotch

Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:42 pm

Its selfish, I know, but I really wanna know if AS employees will be eligible for non-rev travel on the F9 flights.

Tan Flyr

Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:18 pm

I heard that FAT got a grant from the DOT to subsidize new Frontier Exp. service from FAT to DEN...Does anyone know if FAT will be starting in January?
(seems like a tough month to start service to me)

MSYtristar

Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:47 pm

Timbotch, F9 and AS will still use their current ID90 nonrev partnership. Horizon employees on the other hand will be able to fly free non-rev space available on F9...and likewise.

Steve in MSY

mariner

Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:54 pm

Tan:

Yes, it's true that Fresno got the grant. The deal isn't finalized because Fresno City still has to come up with $100,000.

The grant is also limited to A319/318 aircraft (and maybe 737's?), meaning it must be mainline service, not Frontier Jet Express.

I doubt you'll see the service start in January, because Frontier mainline will be a tad busy then, starting up the new Mexico destinations, and, as you say January would be a tough month to start FAT service.

There are also strong rumors, here and in the Florida press, that Frontier (mainline) will begin service to Palm Beach then.

But anything's possible.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Tango-Bravo

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:51 am

Good to see F9 link up with a regional that mirrors the same type of friendly, reliable service for which both F9 and QX are known by their customers. The staff and inflight service of QX make flying an enjoyable experience, even on their turboprop types. QX will, no doubt, do the same as Frontier Jet Express.

The only down side I can see to the F9/QX partnership is the possibility (liklihood?) that QX will be limited to flying F9* flights that do not in any way compete with AS/AS* routes. If so, that would preclude otherwise seemingly logical F9* CR7 non-stop routes such as DEN-GEG/EUG/PSC/YVR/YYC, inasmuch as AS/AS* offer the same same city pairs by way of connections in SEA or PDX.

FATFlyer

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:22 am

Many of the contracts exclude a company from flying the same non-stop route for another airline but not a route that is offered as a connecting service. I would think that limiting flights on a connecting basis would be something that government agencies would frown upon as going too far. Can you imagine for example if Skywest were limited to not flying routes where DL or UA compete using connections.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

FATFlyer

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:25 am

January is a slow month at FAT, and although anything is possible, an airline is probably better served by starting a couple of months later. It is also a period of heavy fog and many airlines suffer through delays that impact their ops. FAT is now equipped with a CAT IIIB landing system that allows landings at a lower minimum visibility but I'm not sure if F9's or JetExpress' aircraft and crews are certified for CAT III ops.

mariner

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:32 am

Obviously, there wil be some new routes for Frontier Jet Express.

NESA was operating five CRJ's for Frotnier, and Horizon will operate nine. You don't need nine aircraft to do te work of five.

However, although I think there will be some northern flying, I would anticipate that the south will be the bigger winner.

San Antonio, for example.

Seperately, there's the issue of Canada. Frontier has said they would like to fly there (and there are many rumors), but I would guess that it will be mainline.

The question in my mind is Wichita. Wichita isn't getting the best loads even with the 50 seat CRJ. How will they deal with the bigger plane?

I know they get a travel bank from the city, but even so I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Wichita disappear from Frontier's route map.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

flyboyaz

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:35 am

In TUS, Frontier started oh probably about a year ago or more. They started with 2 737/319's...then went to all RJ's now they are down from 2 RJ's to just one. Maybe they will get one 70 seater instead?
Catch a ride on a smile!

FATFlyer

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:42 am

Oh, and the FAT grant does specify that it must be Frontier mainline.

Media reports this weekend indicate that the grant might be able to be used for an alternative. But it was my understanding that would require approval from the DOT and I haven't heard of any of last year's grants being allowed to be changed. If anything there were a couple of cities that returned funds because they could not be used as intended.

I'll have to do some checking because I thought it was F9 or no grant.

mariner

Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:40 am

FATFlyer:

You are correct. The grant approval does say specifically Frontier Airlines, and specifically mainline.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

copaair737

Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:56 am

I would think that QX could operate to destinations it already serves. I mean, if it were SEA-GEG/EUG/BIL/YYC, I could see them not being allowed to operate for F9 to these destinations, but seeing as it is from DEN, I would think that we will possibly see DEN-GEG/EUG/BIL/YYC, as it is not competing directly with AS.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

MSYtristar

Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:11 am

Wichita's load factors are generally 50% or less on the CRJ for the norm. ICT has never really done that well for some reason. I don't think that F9 would pull out of the market...they said they have no plans to abandon any current markets served...but seeing service reduced in ICT would not surprise me at all.

Just as a side note, BOI, which currently sees 2 daily 733's, will go back to JetExpress in November. The loads can't justify 737 or Airbus service on a year-round basis...the CR7 will be a perfect fit for that market.

Steve in MSY

tzsfo

Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:48 pm

I think that the QX in competition with AS thing is not a big deal to QX's upeer management. The way that I think they figure it is that someone is going to compete with AS on the route anyways. So.....with QX on the routes instead of say....Skywest....at least Alaska Air Group is profiting from both flights.

At least thats my $0.02

TZ
It takes nerves of steel to stay neurotic. — Herb Kelleher

flyboy80

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:40 pm

OMG if we say EUG that would be great... Im sure Horizon would be able to handle the aircraft... we already have regular Horizon CR7s here... so who knows! I've heard though that if Skywest comes in the form of DL Connection (which it will in JUN 04) to EUG, that It will be handled seperately from Skywest's UAX op... I don't see how they can do that, we have NO MORE GATES AVIABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lgbguy

Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:19 am

FRNT..is planning to add 2 more SNA-DEN r/t in DEC 03. the word around SNA is that it will be 2 RJ'S making a total of 5 R/T's(3-A319& 2 RJ'S) on Monday-Friday and 4 R/T's (2-A319& 2 RJ'S) on SAT&SUN...LgBgUy

SuperDash

RE: Horizon Air Announces New Partnership W/ Front

Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:19 pm

SNA is a restricted airport. Does QX have authority to operate there? Do they even have a capacity allocation from SNA? If not, Jan 1 might be a little early for QX to arrive at SNA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos