In Pakistan, if the law and order is good and there less political chaos then the travel market is booming esp between May-Aug and Dec-Jan + Eid/Ramadan time.
1. The perception is that EK
has literally become our national carrier
Seriously and PIA is at loggerheads with the Pak Govt over the freedom and the # of flights awarded to EK
to the 4 Pak cities (KHI-PEW-LHE-ISB).
has now made LHE 8 times a week from 4 and ISB is 9 times a week from 5 and ISB is generating a 200%+ profit annually due to the huge premium-diplomatic/political traffic avbl from there since the BA
pullout in Sept 01. The amount of marketing that EK
does in PAK is unbelieveable.
has expanded a lot since the last 3 years because they are cheaper than EK
on the core European routes and has a good reputation.
3. Kuwait Airways has failed in KHI because they dont engage in marketing acitivities whatsoever and plus they dont have easy return connections from ORD
to KHI via KWI. If EK
are having more than daily flights to KHI whilst KU
has 1-2 per week, where do you think the normal pax will go? EK
obviously! They are doing well in LHE and ISB because KWI has a lot of PAK labour traffic from these 2 cities + better connections to and from USA/Europe for North Pakistan flights! From LHE and ISB, KWI is much cheaper than QR
) and LHR
4. SWISS is doing fairly well from KHI. It was blossoming this summer from June till late Aug when flights been always over 70% full. They have taken great advantage by marketing themselves as the only WESTERN airline serving PAK (KHI).
5. GULF now sends its GULF TRAVELLER to KHI (B 763 270 all eco class seater) from AUH and is getting a 80%+ load factor on each flight. It does well from KHI-LHE-ISB and PEW but EK
/QR give it extreme competition.
6. PIA unfortunately for itself has got a bad reputation with the PAK public. However it is the prefered carrier for some to LHR
from PAK because it is the only airline to offer "NONSTOP" flights from KHI, LHE & ISB to LHR
which some find very convienient. It flies the ex-CX B 743s from LHE and ISB to MAN
but their old B 74Ms from KHI which is horrible! But on the whole, EK
-QR-LX-GF etc etc are all eating its into Gulf-European and USA traffic in a big big way esp EK
now that theyve been given additional flights to LHE-ISB and PEW!
are too doing reasonably well from KHI. CX
gets an avg of 65% load factor out of KHI on all its 3 weekly flights and TG
is always full if the flight comes in from MUSCAT, otherwise if its a turnaround flight then they get a decent 70% load. TG
has been in PAK since the 80s so it is more established than CX
plus it has more flights to PAK than CX
is the prefered carrier from PAK for J class pax and those flying to USA transpacific. CX
are seriously thinking of bringing an additional 4th flight to KHI but this one they want to continue to ABU DHABI! They will cancel BKK
and make the flight 4 times a week A 330-300s HKG
. Thats what the plan is but god knows when it will be implemented.
8. Of all the "offline carriers", those are doing very well in KHI are EVA AIR and CHINA AIRLINES due to the extremely cheap F & J class fares offered by them.
I'll post more stuff later on RJ
-SQ-SV op's out of PAK.