planesarecool

Do You Fly Just For The Heck Of It?

Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:04 am

Hi

If you saw a return fare to somewhere not that far away which was pretty cheap, would you fly just for the flight? Or also would you fly for a day trip (i.e. From say London to Manchester), just to spot at the airport?

-Stephen

flyboyaz

RE: Do You Fly Just For The Heck Of It?

Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:12 am

Of course! Working for an airline, it doesn't cost me anything. I've flown many times just for something to do. People thought I was weird but when I was hired, our personnel lady told us it was fun to do. Fly to Boston, get a free meal (before 9/11 of course), watch a movie!

Tons of fun!
Catch a ride on a smile!

notam-j

Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:51 am

Yeah, if you work for an airline you can jump on an open flight whenever you like. I took a NW flight once from MSP to MKE and returned on MKE to MSP just to fly on the DC10 before they took it out of service on that route. The whole trip took about 2 1/2 hours. First class both ways, and a little breakfast on the return flight. Cost: $0.00. Had nothing better going on that morning!!!
If only I had a nickel for every Boeing vs Airbus posting...

fly727

Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:52 am

I have done it. Just like Flyboyaz mentioned, most people think you are crazy. I just say: YAAAAAAY !!!!

RM  Nuts
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

airplanetire

Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:20 am

I certainly would and have once. My problem now is that I have no money to do it. I took a day trip to Wichita with a friend in March, but I had been working and had no expenses because I wasn't driving, so I had money to burn. When I'm off on my own though, it'll be fun to save some money and maybe see a cheap fare to somewhere in Europe and go there for the weekend. A lot of people would find that nuts, but if you do really well, you could get the airfare for $300, only pay $100 total in hotels, and then another $100 at the very most to eat and get into some attractions. I love longhaul flights, so the flights would not be a drag as they are to many people but instead part of the fun.

-Airplanetire

YWG

Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:25 am

I do it all the time on Air Canada as a non rev passenger! I fly all over the place to either see the airport and its traffic or to fly that certain type of plane!
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

planesarecool

Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:30 am

So if you work for the airline you can get completely free flights? In any class? Wouldn't you at least need to pay taxes? (Yeah i guess that you can only fly if there's seats available anyway). I have been looking through flights from London to Manchester and some flights are like £50.50 return! I'd pay that just for the flight and if i could get in some spotting that'd be even better!

It's sounds so cool that if you work for the airline and you weren't doing anything one morning you could just jump on a flight.

-Stephen

CB777

Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:57 am

I do day trips all the time for the hech of it. I work for CO based in EWR I took a day trip once to LA. Went there in the morning and took the red eye back home, people thought i was nuts to go to LA for a day. It was fun there was like 5 of us from EWR that went.

CB777

JBirdAV8r

Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:00 am

Wouldn't you at least need to pay taxes?

Nope!!  Big thumbs up

At least at Delta, if you want to fly on them or Connection airlines, you just pop your card into the kiosk and get yourself on standby  Smile

The procedure for Skyteam airlines is a little different (you have to go to the ticket counter)  Smile
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

USAFHummer

Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:03 am

Twice Ive flown for the heck of it, mainly because unique opportunities for a new experience presented themselves to me (and were cheap as well)...the first was 3/16/02 when I flew PHL-PIT-PHL for $84 on a US A330 and returning on an FL 717....two aircrafts which I had not previously been on...then earlier this year, in June, I flew FLL-JFK-FLL for about $160 going up on Song and returning on jetBlue...I had not experienced either airline previously....

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

notam-j

Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:03 am

The non-rev charge all depends on your flight benefits. Everyone within NW has a non-rev priority code, and depending on what code you fly under, your charges will differ. When I was working, I had management priority passes and there was no charge, didn't even take the tax from my paycheck! Some of NW's non-rev benefits are really great.
If only I had a nickel for every Boeing vs Airbus posting...

flyboyaz

Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:08 am

The charges vary for each airline. I work for HP and we fly completely for free on us and also on HPX. Working in a field station I also get free passes on CO, WN, AS, F9, Aeromexico and Aero California.

We have to pay for taxes on international flights only. F/C we are supposed to turn in some of our buddy passes but they usually don't enforce it.
Catch a ride on a smile!

UPSfueler

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:09 am

I used to do it when we flew for free. One time in one day I did ORD-SAN(757),SAN-LAX(EMB-120),LAX-ORD(747). All in first class except the UAX flight. I have done many dau trips like that but that was the most fun IMO.

futureualpilot

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:12 am

As often as possible! Ive gone SAN-TUC, SAN-LAS and SAN-PHX just because it was cheap and on the weekend and I had nothing to do!
Life is better when you surf.

cancidas

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:13 am

yes. i got rent a plane and go somewhere!  Big grin
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

Dazed767

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:14 am

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/36210/

A week ago....MCO-MIA-SFO-DFW-MCO in about 24 hours.  Big grin

AA 777

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:18 am

Last February my mom and did the LAX day trip from JFK. It was pretty funny in class that monday when the teacher asked what I did this past weekend...and I replied well i went to LAX on saturday and hung around the house on sunday  Big thumbs up  Nuts

AA 777
Matt
CRJ-700 FO

atrude777

Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:36 am

I wish I could do that!!!

maybe fly..

MWA-STL-LAX-DFW-ORD-MCI-STL-MWA

Get the following..
MWA-STL BAE JETSTREAM 31
STL-LAX- 757/MD80
LAX-DFW-738/MD80/757/767(Is that right?)
DFW-ORD 777/757/MD80(right again??)
ORD-MCI-MD-80??
MCI-STL 757/MD80
STL-MWA BAE JETSTREAM 31

Alex.

NO what..gonan check that now!! lol
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

IMissPiedmont

Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:44 am

I have not had to pay for a flight since December,1991. From 1971 to December 24, 1980 however, I spent every free moment flying around just for fun. The I got married and had a child.

Since 1991 I've had jumpseat privileges on an large cargo carrier.......OK, I'm retired now, it was UPS. Since my retirement, I've lost those and now cannot afford to fly around just for fun. But then, I no longer want to at my age.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

POSITIVE RATE

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:16 pm

Yes i certainly would if i could afford it. In Feb i flew to Melbourne for the Airshow over the weekend.

An-225

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:41 pm

I flew to SFO and back on a 747-400. Same one, both ways, N179UA.
Here are my future plans:

DEN-MCI-DEN. Flying out on WED, coming back on FRI.
DEN-LGA-DEN - Some time in October.
DEN-HNL-DEN - I'll go for my birthday during December. Gotta treat myself right!
DEN-SAN-DEN - I'll go at some point in October/November to see my friend Sergey.
DEN-SFO-DEN - I'll fly that route fairly often, since I love San Francisco!

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

jetblast737

Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:01 pm

Yes I use my staff travel consessions whenever possible.During the footy season I fly between BNE-SYD, BNE-MEL to watch my team the Brisbane Broncos play.Sometimes the flights are full and I get a jumpseat.

jetblast737  Big thumbs up

Captain.MD-11

Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:45 pm

I'm about to fly LHR-FRA FRA-LHR for the day, well not even that, as my turn around in Frankfurt is only just over 2 hours! Still at least I should get to fly on 2 A300-600's  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Twins,twins, everywhere.... but where are the three holers?

IwantaBBJ

Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:23 pm

Well, I sometimes use Swiss' weekend webfares to book same-day return-trips, such as ZRH/BSL to LHR, DUS, CDG, TXL and more... I even once treated myself to a domestic rountrip BSL-ZRH-LUG-GVA-BSL... Just for the fun of flying!!

Michael

Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:28 pm

I do it frequently. Most recent trip was last Friday LHR/AMS/LHR just to get on a KLM 739 (but the sods put on a 738 instead!)

La Carlota

Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:26 pm

Yes I do!!
If I found a longer way to get to a destination and there's not much difference in the price, just a bit higher, I sure will take the longest route, just for the pleasure. Never took a day trip, though, but maybe next year I'll do... It'll be one of my New Year resolutions!!
Tango Tango Fox

BNE

Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:30 pm

I find the destinations are a little important but then some of the fun is actually getting there.

In June 2003 I flew BNE-SYD-MEL-HBA-MEL-ABX-SYD-BNE, had been scheduled to fly a 767-200, on BNE-SYD but it broke down, had been scheduled for a A330-200, but there was a plane swap. Flew via ABX on 2 separate Regional Express REX SAA340s. Even with the plane substitutions it was still a good trip.

Also have booked a trip next year to New Zealand to fly the inaugural Pacific Blue service.

Trying for a trip on an Alliance Airlines Fokker 100.

Why fly non stop when you can connect

godbless

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:07 pm

Most of my flights this year were just short daytrips just for the fun of it.
Actually not a single flight was really necessary...

Max

JGPH1A

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:17 pm

For sure - especially when I could Non-Rev at SAA - we used to get 1 domestic freeby per year (mean by US carrier standards, but we loved it !) - used to go for a day or a weekend and see how many domestic stops I could do. One time I went JNB-WDH (Windhoek was still domestic in them thar days) for lunch, WDH-CPT for dinner and CPT-JNB that night.

Used to go to HKG shopping for the day too - leave JNB Friday lunchtime, overnight flight to HKG (around 13 hours), arriving around 9am Saturday, shop up a storm till 20:00 Saturday when the flight used to go back to JNB - we used to get off in MRU (SA had no traffic rights, but we were allowed because we were staff) and spend Sunday at the beach and catch 192 back on Sunday night - cool weekend, but pretty exhausting. Taking the MRU-DUR-JNB flight back also meant that customs in JNB weren't too interested in you - if you got of the HKG flight they knew you'd have a camera or a fake Rolex to pay duty on, but from MRU there's nothing to smuggle !

Happy days.

Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

richardw

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:23 pm

I have done round trips on easyjet for the fun of it. I did LGW-GVA, GVA-NCE, NCE-LTN just for fun and it was great value.

I am doing this shortly LGW-CDG on BA, Orly-MRS on easyjet and TLN-LGW on BA (GBAirways). Thats 5 airports in a weekend!

Stormin

Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:19 pm

an actual non non-rev story...
I was 10 segments short of Platinum on DL in 2001. I flew 5 roundtrips to SAV which is a 45 minute flight from ATL in the span of three Fridays in December. Cost me about $450 total because of the Airtran competition on the route. I would arrive on one flight then immediately check in to return on the same plane. Got some good looks from the staff on that one. My last flight there were probably 10 other people doing the same segment qualification run as I did. Boy that was funny watching ten arriving passengers get off the plane and immediately check in to go back. My co-workers had a good laugh at me for spending the money to get to Platinum, but starting the following month I had the laughs as I was the only member of our group that flew to EWR every week to get upgraded to first for the next year. They also seemed to enjoy the free Crown Room access I had...

Alas, DL has removed segment qulifications from their Skymiles, so no more Platinum for me... I was good while it lasted!

rednose

Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:14 am

Last year, soon after SAA introduced the new flat bed suite in first class, I wanted to try it out and since I had lots and lots of miles, I bought a J class ticket LHR-JNB-LHR and upgraded it to F class. Flew out on the Friday evening service and returned Saturday evening, both flights on the same aircraft. Spent the day with very amazed friends of mine in Pretoria.

thadocta

Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:31 am

I have done it, either just towards the end of my FF membership year, or to maximise Status Credits earlier in the year when super-cheap fares have become available.

Qantas will quite often match Vermin Blue's ridiculously (and completely unsustainable) "special offers" - things like $33 from SYD to BNE, for example. When QF match them, I take advantage, $66 for 20 status credits, not to mention several hours in the Qantas Club drinking free beer, makes it a cheap run. Big grin

Dave

kilavoud

Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:38 am

Flying for the heck of it, even if it seems more expensive, can bring you many good surprises. Let me explain you :

I use to fly to Madras from Switzerland six times a year, since a few years,
for both professional and family reasons. Till end of last year I have done it with LH GVA-FRA-MAA-FRA-GVA (16'119 km).

Because I wanted to change Airliner, for the heck of a longer flight and for the heck of a new flight route, in February this year I have for the first time flown to Madras with SQ over Singapore : ZRH-SIN-MAA-SIN-ZRH (26'464 km).

Diff. 10'345 km.

If it seems more expensive to fly to MAA over SIN, it is not not really the case. Here are some advantages :

1. The pleasure to fly further and on a different Airline
  2.  Smile

3. The possibility to discover during SIN stop-overs a fantastic city with a
    great culture
  4.  Smile

5. The possibility to redeem my collected miles with SQ against free flights
    with LH (one free flight LH GVA-FRA-MAA-FRA-GVA = 52'000 miles only
    with smart e-booking instead of 110'000 miles on SQ ZRH-SIN-MAA-SIN-
    ZRH)
  6.  Smile

I can testify in my case that to fly for the heck of it has brought me only good surprises.

Regards. Kilavoud.

Vimanav

Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:23 am

Yup, I've done innumerable DEL/BOM/DEL flights just for kicks. Also did a number of roundabout routes just to fly more eg. DEL-MAA-KUL-SIN-BKK-DEL (instead of DEL-SIN-DEL) to try out the B734/S2 DEL-MAA, A333/MH MAA-KUL & KUL-SIN, B773/TG SIN-BKK-DEL. Best ones are a couple of DEL-FRA-DEL with LH arriving at 0730 into FRA, catching the 1330 return on the same day back home!!!

rgds//Vimanav

oh by the way.. these are all using staff travel privileges. If I had to pay the full fare then...
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

FLIEGER67

Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:59 am

Hi Planesarecool,
other people think we are crazy, but we think they are it too.
If it´s your passion, to be on the run, to meet new people, to look to new destinations, to fly on a special plane, to ride a historic train why not.
Do it as long as its possible. Sure, travel, if your not on work for an airline or travel agency is expensive. I´ve do some flights to fill up my mileage accounts,
but I do it always in connection with a "highlight".
For example: I do a birthday, with my wife, two day trip to New York from STR in the late 90´s as DL has a special fare this time , other things to do are expensive too and the same time my AF Frequence Plus account
jumps to a higher level, this trip give me the miles I need for it, why not?.
Regards,Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

Sabena332

Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:04 am

Mostly I fly just just for the heck of it, main reasons are:

• fill up my milage account

• get a flight on an airline that is missing in my collection

• get a flight on an aircraft type that is missing in my collection

• visit an airport I have never been to

• take advantage of a special fare

• Patrick
    NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

planesarecool

Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:34 pm

I have never done it myself (being 13) but for £50 i think it'd be well worth it, although if you can get it for free then that's even better

-Stephen

aircraft88

Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:05 am

I have done LGW-AMS for the day last year. I flew Easyjet and the fare was pretty cheap, (£70.00) for me and my dad. He had to come because im only 15!

At the end of November, im hopefully going to be doing a day trip to FRA with either Lufthansa or British Airways from LHR. (very expensive!)

Does anybody know any airlines that fly out of LGW to FRA. I dont mind connections?

Cheers,

AIRCRAFT88

Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah but no!