The777Man
Topic Author

Spotting At SFO : Good Locations?

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:59 pm

Hi !

I haven't been to SFO for a while and was wondering where there are good locations landside, if any and also airside, particulary the new international terminal.

Thanks !

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

jhooper

RE: Spotting At SFO : Good Locations?

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:05 pm

My guess only: probably somewhere in the San Francisco Bay!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Aaron747

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:27 pm

Spotting at SFO is difficult, but not impossible.

By far the best landside location is Millbrae's Shoreline Park, off Millbrae Ave and the Old Bayshore Highway. You have a full view of arrivals on runways 28 L/R and departures on 1 L/R, 28 L/R. Domestic flights typically depart runways 1 L/R under good weather conditions, with heavies to Hawaii and international destinations off runways 28. You can also take the North Access Rd for alternate views (though there's no place to walk around like the above mentioned park) as it winds around the cargo ramp and United maintenance center on the north side of the field - it's accessible via a dedicated exit on the 101 freeway.

Airside, as is typical of most US airports, there aren't really any good spotting locations. Some decent views of the action are possible from the BART station and AirTrain system as it winds around the airport - you just aren't able to stay in one place, obviously. Good views of the west side of the A concourse at the International Terminal are available from parking garage A's upper levels. It's $1.00 for each 12 minutes.

If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

planesarecool

Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:29 pm

When i flew out to SFO this summer i stayed in the Westin hotel, and generally around that area is great during the day when the use 1R/L you can be quite close to the action. In fact i remember being on the airport bus when we went to get our car that there was a gate and there was the runway. However i'm not a great know-it-all over SFO - hey i've only been there for 3 days Big grin

-Stephen

The777Man
Topic Author

Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:50 am

Thanks for the info!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777