B747FAN
Topic Author

Cool Airport Names - What Are Your's

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:00 am

Airport have such unusual names sometimes, and some of them are very very cool.

For instance: Phoenix, AZ - Sky Harbor International
Melbourne - Tullamarine
Mumbai - Chatrapati Shivaji Intl.

Now airport codes are another story by itself. Quite hard to comprehend for a non-aviation buff.

Orlando - MCO (should'nt it be ORL) ha.ha.
Newark - EWR

And why do most Canadian airports begin with Y (YYZ YUL etc.......) weird!!

There should be a council formed to reform names and simplify the airport codes for the common traveller.

Would be nice to have your thoughts.

Greeting,

) He turns not back who is bound to a star. - Leonardo Da Vinci.

EZYAirbus

RE: Cool Airport Names - What Are Your's

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:11 am

Norwich International Airport in the UK, not really an international airport, only has about 2 flights a day.

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

GLA MD11

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:13 am

Reform airport names and it will be an entire mess... Imagine: all the computer systems to be updated (in airports, for ticketing and in the planes themselves...)

Here in Paris, we have ORY (for Paris ORLY airport) and CDG (for Paris - Roissy CHARLES DE GAULLE airport).

Nothing weird here, sorry.

UPSfueler

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:18 am

One funny airport name in my opinion is by my house. Its RFD(rockford illinois) and its some 80 miles from ORD. Trasnmeridian started flying out of here last month and all of a sudden it goes from Greater Rockford Airport, to Northwest Chicagoland Regional Airport. I guess there trying to lure customers into thinking its close to Chicago.LOL.

tavong

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:20 am

What about EL DORADO international Airport at Bogotá (SKBO-BOG)? I think is a cool name  Smile
Just put me on any modern airliner and i will be happy, give me more star alliance miles and i will be a lot more happy.

Pe@rson

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:20 am

"Norwich International Airport in the UK, not really an international airport, only has about 2 flights a day."

As long as it has ANY international flights, it will be deemed an international airport.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

VCE

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:27 am

VCE - Venice/Marco Polo Airport

pouyazad

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:30 am

My hometown in Tehran. It is called: Mehrabad International Airport.
Mehrabad in Persian language means "the land of kindness"

andersjt

Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:37 am

ABQ is known as the Albuquerque International Sunport - don't call it an airport  Smile
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

danialanwar

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:14 am

Mauritius (long):
Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport

Denpasar - Bali (nice):
Ngurah Rai International

Papeete:
Faaa International
Best Business Class: Royal Brunei. Best Economy: Singapore Airlines. First: please send money first!

delta fly boy

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:22 am

Orlando MCO is for McCoy In't Airport.

hbfly

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:30 am

Mine is:
SZG : Salzburg - W.A. Mozart

I have a better name for Seattle/Tacoma:
Seattle - Kurt Cobain  Big thumbs up
Bernhard Dallner -- Salzburg - W.A. Mozart (SZG / LOWS) -- Canon EOS 300D

JGPH1A

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:31 am

ORL is the code for Herndon Airport, Orlando (ever heard of it ??). ORL is also the city code for the multi-airport ciy Orlando, which has MCO, ORL, SFB as airports, and DWS (DisneyWorld Heliport).

I always liked Leonardo Da Vinci - Fiumicino as an airport name.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

tjwgrr

Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:39 am

Was originally McCoy AFB:

SAC Bases: Pinecastle / McCoy Air Force Base

Home of: 306th Bomb Wing, 321st Bomb Wing, 4047th Strategic Wing
Status: Closed 1974. Part of base is now operating as the Orlando International Airport

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

petertenthije

Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:17 am

I quite like Kloten airport! Kloten also happens to be a Dutch worth meaning *****. (something in the genitals area)
Attamottamotta!

SunValley

Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:25 am

GEG for Spokane has always been an odd code, but it stands for
Geiger Field.

kilavoud

Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:48 am

Chennai/Madras - Meenambakam Airport (MAA)

Departure halls, areas, loundges of the international airport have recently completely changed. A miracle ! It is now spacious, comfortable, very clean, many shops, bars..... It's cool now and much easier than before to check in and so on.

Rgds. Kilavoud.

Birdwatching

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:04 am

Regarding ORD: That is because before it was called O'Hare, it was called Orchard Field. Hence ORD.

Coolest Name for an Airport:
Baghdad - Saddam International  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Please don't get me wrong, I just think it sounds funny.

Another cool code:
EZE (Buenos Aires) (because the town where the airport is is called Ezeiza)
Sounds like "Easy"

"Take it EZE and fly to EZE"

I feel very stupid writing this.  Big thumbs up
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

StevenUhl777

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:12 am

Tullamarine is a favorite, as is Heathrow and Kai-Tak. Kurt Cobain Int'l., huh? I think I'd drive to Portland first...

I always remembered/read "EZE" as "EZ-E", like the rap star, back in the day when I listened to rap, but that's been a while. I REALLY feel stupid writing that!

LOL about ABQ....Portland, Maine is "Portland International JETPORT" as opposed to airport, along those same lines.

Fun post...thanks! Nice to take a break from all the anti-United posts once in a while.

And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

prosa

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:26 am

I live near ISP, Long Island MacArthur Airport. It's one of the few major public facilities anywhere in the United States named after Douglas MacArthur. That's rather odd, as he was one of the country's leading generals.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

mandala499

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:35 am

Bandung BDO/WIIB... "Husein Sastranegara Intl."... Named after an airforce leader... my cousin's grandfather in law... LOL currently having NO intl flights!

Manado MDO/WAMM... "Sam Ratulangi Intl."... Ratulangi... I think it means "Queen of the Rainbow/Sky"... however, the airport was named after a guy!

Tanjung Pinang TJP/WIKN "Kijang Airport"... it means... Deer. Nice little airport with some "fun flying" memories...

Solo SOC/WRSC Adi Sumarmo and Jogjakarta JOG/WIIJ Adi Sucipto... 2 airports near each other, with similar names... Both at each other's throat!

The soon to be constructed New Medan Airport.. Kuala Namu... Someone had the idea of naming it Kwalanamu to make it sound African.. No Joke!

Some International ones...

Genova GOA/LIMJ Sestri-Cristoforo Colombo Big grin
Barcelona BCN El Pratt Big grin
Madeira Funchal... Funchal... Fun Challenge... coincidental pun there...
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Ant72LBA

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:54 am

Some in the UK;

Liverpool John Lennon International Airport; formerly just Liverpool Airport and before that I think it was called Speke (the area it's in, I think?).

Manchester is still known to some as Ringway - no idea why.

Teeside is a former RAF base; RAF Middleton St. George.

I think Leeds Bradford served as an RAF base during the war but had been established beforehand; shame someone didn't have the foresight to put it in a better position.

A number of other UK airports are former RAF bases (if not the vast majority?); I'd be pretty sure Humberside, Edinburgh, Prestwick, Norwich and Kent (RAF Manston) are, perhaps some locals could come up with the former names.

Overall I'd say we're pretty conservative about naming our Airports in the UK, here's a few suggestions:

Leeds-Bradford: Geoffery Boycott International (most famous living Yorkshireman, ex-English cricketer).
Norwich: Delia Smith International (TV cook and now probably rich enough to have a plane based there).
Newcastle: Jack Milburn International (it's either that or Sting.........).

Rafabozzolla

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:55 am

I like Rio's GIG "Rio de Janeiro Internacional - Antonio Carlos Jobim", for those who might not know it, Tom Jobim, the guy who composed "Girl from Ipanema". Also on my list is SDU, "Santos Dumont" the guy who indisputably made the first SELF SUPORTED FLIGHT in the world (Paris 1906).

Don't ask me why but I also have a soft spot for Madrid-Barajas, just sounds good!!!

EGPX

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:56 am

Surprised no one has mentioned Liverpool - John Lennon International. I guess it came down to him dying before the other Beatles. George Harrison must be kicking himself, assuming he has reincarnated himself as something with legs  Wink/being sarcastic

My local airport is Prestwick, optimisticly calling itself Glasgow Prestwick. Prior to this it was Prestwick (Scotland) Airport which wasn't a bad idea as at least people would know what country Prestwick is in  Smile There was a proposal to call it Robbie Burns International but, thankfully, they knocked that idea on the head, sorry, hied Big grin

gkirk

Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:30 pm

EGPX, Its heid  Big thumbs up
Glasgow should be renamed Ally McCoist International  Big thumbs up
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

FunFlying

Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:34 pm

My friend once said that HEL shoud be named after Sibelius, the well known Finnish composer. Sibelius International..

FF
Leaving on a Jetplane...

JGPH1A

Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:43 pm

South African airports were all named after Prime Ministers (ghastly fascists to a man !).

JNB - Jan Smuts
DUR - Louis Botha
CPT - DF Malan (arch-fascist !)
ELS - Ben Schoeman (he was actually Minister of Transport)
PLZ - HF Verwoerd (even more fascist)
WDH - JG Strijdom
BFN - JBM Hertzog
KIM - BJ Vorster
GRJ - PW Botha

The worst was George (GRJ) - name P.W.Botha Airport, and the guy wasn't even dead ! Its good they have been renamed, and not to a whole bunch of new politicians - but I still think of JNB as "Smuts".
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

David_itl

Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:36 pm

I thoiught LPL's full name was: LiverpoolJohnLennonLovelyBlokeTrueScouserNeverMindThatHeLivedInNewYorkReally  Big grin

MAN was originally situated around the village of Ringway but there are some very misguided people trying to rename it after L. S. Lowry  Nuts Much prefer Ringway!

David

bmiEMA19

Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:46 pm

I really like Barbados airports' name (BGI)
Barbados - Grantley Adams
- it has a real Carribbean sound to it (if you say it in a kinda Jamaican rasta accent!)

prosa

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:21 pm

One thing I dislike is the practice of naming airports after living people. This has started with IAH, GRR and DCA, and undoubtely will continue. Dead people, that's fine, but living people, no.

B747FAN
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:46 pm

Probably the worst Airport I have been to is Bom (has a cool name, but the airport is like stepping into hell). Had a major issue in immigration. I had a brand new US passport, as my old one had expired. The fellow in immigration demanded I produce my old passport. I told him, that the old one had expired and it was with the US govt. He then proceeded to tell me that I will have to go back and would not be allowed into India. At that point I was a little scared, but I asked for his superior, and suddenly his tone changed from send you back to give me $200. I told him that all I had was $ 20, and he readily agreed. Corrupt Bastard!!!!

Best airport I have been to is HKG. So open and peaceful. No congestion at all. Best local airport has to be my home town MCO. Nothing better than having Mickey Mouse greet you after you arrive from a hectic overseas business trip.

killerbabe

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:51 pm

Schiphol is a 'cool' airport-name, special when you know the history about the Haarlemmermeer, were Schiphol is situated

OOPJV

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:52 pm

For Dutch speaking people, the name of Zurich Airport, "Kloten", has a very strange and special meaning...
I don't want to translate this to English...(sounds similar to the f** word in English).

EGPX

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:22 pm

'EGPX, Its heid '

Yes, I know, bloody typo... For some reason the spell checker didn't pick it up  Big grin

Can't say I agree with Ally McCoist International for Glasgow. Abbotsinch is actually quite nice for GLA even though it is not used much any more. Leads one to speculate who the abbot was and which bit of him was only an inch Big grin

gkirk

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:25 pm

ROFLMAO  Big thumbs up  Laugh out loud
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

canuckpaxguy

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:59 pm

I heard Prime Minister Chretien just renamed Montreal's Mirabel Airport (YMX) after the late PM Pierre Trudeau. Any truth to these rumours?

I think PET deserves a better airport than that; of course it was he that opened this financial disaster of an airport....

G

AMS

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:15 am

Again Kloten airport is my favourite!.....it means this **** word in Dutch language but it is quite funny to say...I book you an one way ticket to Kloten airport!

regards,
AMS

deltaffindfw

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:19 am

Dorval (YUL) is being renamed after Trudeau - not Mirabel.

EZYAirbus

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:23 am

London Luton International, not exactly London is it? London is a good 40miles away from the airport!!!

Glenn
http://www.glenneldridgeaviation.com

Lufthansa

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:24 am

Lets not forget the ego maniacs that name airports after themselves...
Like Saddam Hussein International airport

Vimanav

Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:00 am

My home airport at Calcutta is presently called Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport. But it will for me (and thousands of Calcuttans) forever remain Dum Dum Airport.. its old name.

For me the best sounding name for any international airport is SYD named after Sir Charles Kingsford Smith.

Kilavoud

Just as Dum Dum is the former name of NSCBI Airport/CCU, Meenambakkam is the old name of MAA Airport. Its present name is Anna International Airport. 95% of Madrasis still call it Meenambakkam though.

rgds//Vimanav

Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

Kavanagh

Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:17 am

Santiago Airport (SCL), its complete name is COMODORO ARTURO MERINO BENITEZ INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, some people just call it PUDAHUEL AIRPORT, because the area where it is located. Now theres a discussion, some guys in the goverment wants to rename the airport to, PABLO NERUDA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, some lefties ones wants to name it SALVADOR ALLENDE INT´L......who cares? always will be the airport of Santiago anyway....

some pretty and pompous names, AEROPARQUE JORGE NEWBERY, at the heart of City of Buenos Aires (BUE). It is not an AIRPORT, it is and AIRPARK!!!! isn´t that cool?..... The intenational airport of EZEIZA (EZE), in argentina, that serves buenos aires and vicinty, its actually named like AEROPUERTO NACIONAL MINISTRO PISTARINI.....

BRU

Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:25 am

BRU official name is Brussels National Airport. How's that for the country's only INTERnational airport  Big grin

planemannyc

Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:56 am

Zia International Airport in Dhaka, Bangladesh was named after a past president, Zia-ur Rahman. Funny thing about ZIA is that the acronym stands for Zia International Airport (ZIA).

I like Tribhuvan airport in Kathmandu; I think it means 'three heavens '.

Karachi airport used to be known as Civil Airport, which I found interesting (are they distinguishing it from military airports?). Beijing's airport, Capital Airport, is also interesting for similar reasons.

In Cairo, I think has one airport and two terminals (old terminal is used by EgyptAir and the new terminal is used by foreign airlines), but people get mixed up and say EgyptAir airport or New Airport whereas there is only one airport, Cairo Airport.

Buffalo airport is known as Buffalo Niagara International Airport, which I find a bit funny.

And Daniel, you are right, Faaa has to be one of the best names for an airport.

HOMER71

Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:01 am

I agree with PROSA...nothing against former Presidents Bush and Reagan, etc., you need to be dead before being memorialized in an airport name.

That being said, my airport is Bush Interconitnental Airport, Houston. I think "Intercontinental" is kinda cool. I don't how they got IAH...International Airport of Houston?
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

prosa

Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:21 am

I don't how they got IAH...International Airport of Houston?

I believe that's it.

B747FAN
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:25 am

Just wondering if corporations or individuals could purchase naming rights for airports. For example, in America, many corporations buy naming rights for stadiums. Fedex Filed in DC / Alltell Stadium in Jacksonville / Raymond James Stadium in Tampa / etc.......

Would be great if corps or rich individuals could buy naming rights for set number of years.

Bill Gates Intl. - Seattle
Turner Intl / CNN Sky Park - Atlanta
Prince William / Harrods Intl - London
BMW Intl. - Frankfurt or Munich
Beatles / Mcartney Intl - Liverpool
Mickey Intl - Orlando

Ha.Ha.Ha.

Would be fun to see your airport change names every few years. Will be hard to keep up with or sometimes annoying if the wrong company gets the naming rights.

Imagine if Playboy or Hustler got naming rights to LAX. How would you like to fly into Hustler Intl Airport. ha.ha.ha.

Greetings

mozart

Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:29 am

Two cool ones:

The first one is Luxembourg "Findel", which as such is not a funny word but merely the village where it is - but since it is the only airport in Luxembourg the Luxembourgish word (yes, that IS a language in its own right!!) for "airport" is just "Findel". So when they go to, say, JFK, they would say that they go to the "New YOrk Findel". That's kinda cool, any airport in the world named after a 15-house large Luxembourg village.

THe other one is SBKP ("Viracopos?") in Campinas. For some time, many intercontinental flights from Europe used this as their gateway to Sao Paulo and in their timetables you would read "Sao Paulo" (for example, Lufthansa) - although Sao Paulo is 130kms away!!!

Chi-town

Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:02 am

I like SJU. San Luis Marin International Airport

copaair737

Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:50 am

Guams got a cool one

Won B. Pat Guam International Airport
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine