Sabena 690
Topic Author

SN Brussels Open Door - BRU Spottersmeeting

Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:47 am

Hello all,

As mentioned before on this forum, SN Brussels Airlines will open it's doors on Sunday 5 October.

What will the program be?

From the website of SNBA (http://www.flySN.com):

The programme:

Visit to engine shop and other technical areas with explanation
by engineers & technicians
Visit of aircraft
Take one of our special Open House flights
Pilot academy with simulator
Hobby corner (aircraft model painting,…)
Photo exhibition
Web contest with interesting prices
African corner
http://www.flysn.com/pages/Belgium/EN/bedrijvendag.aspx

Of course I will be there. Patrick (Sabena 332) is already booked on LH from DUS to BRU via FRA (will arrive in the late evening of Saturday 04/10 and leave on Sunday evening).

So... who else will be there??

Hope to see as much as possible of you guys there...

8 flights above Belgium of 45 minuts will be organised. Those flights will of course sell out extremely quick, so be there early if you want to fly! The flights will normally be operated by ARJ's.

For the collectors, there will be a nice stand with t-shirts, scale moddels etc etc

A day to look forward to!

Cheers
Frederic

VCE

RE: SN Brussels Open Door - BRU Spottersmeeting

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:22 am

Thank You very much Frederic, it's a very interesting programme.

Sabena332

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:09 am

The program sounds really good, I'm already looking forward to October 5th. It would be great when some other a.net members would join us.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Jumbolino

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:49 am

Hi Patrick, Hi Frederic,

As I mentioned long time ago, I would be there.
Anyway, I will look for some cheap fares, but at the moment I've some very serious problems, so I might not be the best guy for such an wonderful adventure - I'll send you both the story per email.

Jumbolino.
Kind Regards, Jutta.

apuneger

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:07 am

Hi everybody,

I'll be there as well (well, what did you expect huh? Big grin ). Better start saving some money and take some cash with me that day, to buy some models. I wonder if they'll sell the same models as the one at the entrance of their offices (a huge A319). No, only joking, that one would sell for € 3000 or so...

Anyway, it seems like it's going to be a really nice day. Many thousands will want to visit SN BA and get on one of the flights. I hope I'll be able to get on one of them...

About the spotters meeting: are you guys/ladies also planning on taking the car to some of the spotting places, or just walk to some interesting places near the former DAT offices/hangar (I suppose that's where the Opendoor is going to be held in the first place)?

Greetings,
Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

FLIEGER67

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:18 am

Hi Frederic,
thank you for this invitation, a really interesting program.
I´m in DUS for a business meeting at Sat. 04.10, will arrive home late this day and fly to FCO at Mon. 06.10,if nothing else happens, so not enough time to go to Brussels, but I hope to find the time, in the near future, to join
a A.net meeting (I read the reports LHR and others).
Regards,Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

Shamrock_747

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:27 am

Looks like a good day, I might take a day trip to BRU if I can find a good fare. Is it easy to access the SNBA base from the airport terminal?

Declan

apuneger

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:31 am

Declan,

I'm not sure but I think there are buses that drive from the airport terminal to Brucargo (which is close to the Open House spot) or even closer.

Ivan

viveAF

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:48 am

Hi all, this sounds like a good day event.

After my recent weekend at the Classics Show in HAM where I met up with Tobi, Mike and Andy I`ve got the taste for this kind of day out !

I have a ticket to use with KLM and although a routing MAN/AMS/BRU seems a bit of a long trek, if I can get a seat for Saturday & Sunday of that weekend, I`ll use it and hopefully meet up with you.

Is it required to book entrance tickets in advance ?

Cheers

Rich

ba319-131

Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:54 am

Bugger!

I've i've just booked a flight to MAN to visit my brother.

Pant's!

Mark
111,732,3,4,5,7,8,BBJ,741,742,743,744,752,762,763,764,772,77L,773,77W,L15,D10,30,40,AB3,AB6,A312.313,319,320,321,332,333

707CMF

Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:03 am

Too bad for me.

My week from the 6th October on is booked (in Paris), and I am travelling (by train - unfortunately) that Sunday.

Thanks Patrick for the invitation anyway, I'm sure we will have other occasions (we still have that AMS spotting Week end to do !!!)

Antoine

pressclub

Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:40 am

Hi guys

I will certainly be there  Smile Smile Smile

Pressclub

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:50 pm

Glad that so many are interested!!

@Flieger67: I hope to meet you over there!

@Declan: Pressclub told me some time ago you can take a van from the Arrivals? area to Corporate Village. You can also take a free bus outside the arrivals terminal to Brucargo (it's not far from there).

You can also walk, it will be around 30 minuts but I do this walk every time I am at BRU because it is so nice! (Past the parked DHL's, under the departing aircraft etc).

The cheapest for you will be SN/BA (codeshare) or BD from LHR

@Rich - ViveAF: it is not possible to book entrance tickets in advance. The entrance is free! Hope to see you there! And MAN-AMS-BRU is of course a very nice itinerary  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

@Mark and Antoine: a pitty you guys will not be there  Sad

@Pressclub: what a surprise we will also see you over there!! Big grin

Regards
Frederic

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:15 pm

Hi everyone (and big hi to Sabena690, 332, Turbotrent and Apuneger  Big thumbs up)
Any LCC's flying DUB to BRU ?
Will
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:24 pm

A big hi back to William!  Big thumbs up

FR likes to call CRL BRU South, but we know better  Big grin

EI is selling at €151, that's the cheapest I could find...

Regards
Frederic

A330DAT

Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:43 pm

Hello everyone. I WILL BE THERE!!!! of course. Wouldn't miss it for the world  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Hey, if we're enough people, we could even charter an Avro jet for ourselves. Why not? Of course the cockpit crew will have a lot of work trimming the aircraft on such a flight, with everyone moving from left to right trying to take pictures  Yeah sure Big grin

By the way. Another special visitor in Brussels today:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fred Seggie
View Large View Medium

Photo © Luis Rosa

Flying for SNBA, replacing an A330??? In any case the aircraft (F-GSUN) is parked at terminal "B" gate 237 (non Schengen destinations)

Smokin cool

Sabena332

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:56 pm

Really a pity that Mark and Antoine don't have time to come to BRU but I'm looking forward to see all the others (hopefully William will find a cheap flight out of DUB).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:04 pm

Unfortunately I had no knowledge of the SNBA open day prior to this thread  Sad  Sad, and the lowest fare I could find is a whopping 180 Euro on FR into Charleroi, EI's fare is 360 Euro (les enc...es) for BRU. I'll keep on looking at FR's site for seat sales until the 05/10 however.
UTA_very_disappointed
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

gkirk

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:07 pm

Think that Corsair 747 might be flying to NCL for some football charter (carrying NAC Breda fans?) as there is also a Sobelair flight from BRU to NCL today.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

lumumba

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:08 pm

Hi everybody.
I will be there for sure.
Regards
Patrice

lima

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:08 am

Hello and thank you for the info. I will do my best to be there too; sounds so interesting.

Any idea of which aircraft can be visited?

Also the technical area of SN is the same as Sabena Technics or is a separate hangar?

BRU

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:57 am

I can confirm this morning's Corsair 747 was soccer charter.

viveAF

Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:10 am

all sorted for me !

I`m booked with KLM from MAN to AMS and BRU, will be arriving @ 1650 on Saturday 4th October, leaving for home on Sunday @ 1730 from BRU - also got myself a room at the Holiday Inn Express BRU, so I`ll be right on the spot for the Open Day.

SO.... 1 x F100, 2 x F70`s and a B737 to look forward to, also a short time to see what`s happening at Schipol en route !

Looking forward to meeting with everybody and seeing how SNBA run their show !

Cheers

Rich

apuneger

Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:28 am

I suggest we organise ourselves so that a couple of days before the event, we know which A.net members will be attending, what outift they'll be wearing etc, how we will meet. Beware: many hundreds will be visiting SN BA, so expect to wait for a long time at the entrance.

About the Corsair Jumbo: now I know which jumbo I saw departing BRU at around 12h45 this afternoon. I was eating my lunch at the 25L threshold and saw it take off from 25R. Nice to see one of those back again.

Greetings,
Ivan

Sabena332

Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:08 am

Rich,

I will arrive at 22:10h on Saturday evening and I will also stay at the Holiday Inn Express at BRU airport. Maybe we can meet there with everyone on Sunday morning and than we can take together a taxi to SNBA. What do you guys think? Rich, of course we must drink a beer on Saturday evening at the hotel bar  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

Frederic, is it possible to go to the Jumbo Bar after the event? I would like to eat one of these delicious pancakes with vanilla ice and chocolate sauce again Big grin.

Patrick

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:43 pm

Frederic, is it possible to go to the Jumbo Bar after the event? I would like to eat one of these delicious pancakes with vanilla ice and chocolate sauce again Big grin.

No problem! Big grin

Frederic

A330DAT

Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:17 pm

BRU - Thanks for the information about the Corsair  Big thumbs up

Does anyone know if there is an advance purchase for those SNBA tickets on October 5th, or is it just first come first served?

Lima - The SN technical area is a different place than that of the largest hangars of Sabena Technics. Sabena Technics (hangars 40 and 41) are basically on the south side of the airport while SNBA maintenance is on the north side between Brucargo and the military zone.

Smokin cool

Sabena332

Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:03 am

No problem!

Great, I am already looking forward to it!

Does anyone know if there is an advance purchase for those SNBA tickets on October 5th, or is it just first come first served?

Also important: Can you pay those tickets with credit/debit card or only cash? I am asking because I usually don't have much cash in my vallet.

Patrick

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:16 am

first come first served?

As you say, first come first served!

No idea about credit cards or whatever. But Patrick: the fare will be very reasonable (that's what I heard, I have to admit I don't know the exact price yet).

Regards
Frederic

Jumbolino

Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:23 am

count me in
04 Oct SN Brussels Airlines Flight:SN2644
To: Brussels National (BRU), Brussels, Belgium
Departing: 12:05 Arriving: 13:25

Flight reservations:
06 Oct SN Brussels Airlines Flight:SN2645
To: Franz Josef Strauss (MUC), Munich, Germany
Departing: 16:10 Arriving: 17:30

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Monday back was 100 EUR cheaper than on sunday and on sunday only a 16 pm. flight would be avail. (of course at some bucks more a LH flight, but nearly the same price than SN for sunday return)

and I'll stay at Express by Holiday Inn Airport ....

Jumbolino  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

PS: I'll reserve a beer for Patrick and Frederic (you know) too  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Kind Regards, Jutta.

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:32 am

Fantastic news, Jutta!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Looking forward to meeting you again... and drink a beer! Big grin

Cheers
Frederic

Jumbolino

Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:48 am

regarding to the Jumbo Bar, it's a nice place with delicious food - but are you sure they have forgotten us all ?
I mean the waiter last time was a little bit (more than a little bit) angry ....

Jumbolino.
Kind Regards, Jutta.

apuneger

Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:17 am

regarding to the Jumbo Bar, it's a nice place with delicious food - but are you sure they have forgotten us all ?
I mean the waiter last time was a little bit (more than a little bit) angry ....

Yeah, I'm sure  Wink/being sarcastic

Ivan

Jumbolino

Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:27 am

@Ivan
*uffz* glad to hear this  Wink/being sarcastic

Jumbolino.

Kind Regards, Jutta.

Shamrock_747

Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:16 am

To get a cheap fare I need to stay on Saturday night, but I can't afford the flight and a hotel room at the moment so I'll have to give the day a miss.  Sad

Declan

Established02

Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:44 am

> I can't afford the flight and a hotel room at the moment

One can always consider to stay at a youth hostel.

Prices vary between 13 - 24 EUR at the Bruegel Youth Hostel in Brussels (5 min walking from the central station). http://www.vjh.be

From the center of Brussels (North Station CCN) you can possibly catch 3 different busses that stop nearby the SNBA facilities at Melsbroek.
BH - Brussel-Haacht
BK - Brussel-Haacht-Keerbergen
BM - Brussel-Steenokkerzeel
I believe that these busses do ride on a Sunday. The frequency may be a bus every hour or every two hours and the ride might take about 30 minutes.

From the SNBA facilities you can perhaps also enjoy an excellent view (facing the sunlight though) on the DHL operations getting in full action every Sunday afternoon.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ronny Van Belleghem

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:06 pm

Hi guys,

5 October is coming close!

For information: at 9.10am I arrive in the train station at BRU airport. Patrick, Jutta and hopefully Rich too will be in the departure terminal under the Red aircraft hanging there.

From there we will go to SNBA. Of course, when it is raining, we will take a taxi. I hope the weather is ok since I find it a nice walk to SN...

Question: is there anybody else who wants to join us from the airport to SNBA?

For the rest, TAKE AN UMBRELLA WITH YOU!!!!! They predict WNW winds, rain and cold temperatures (13°)!

Price of the roundflights is now set at 25 Euro. You will be able to hang 45 minuts above Belgium. Forum member luchtzak will do 2 of the flights, I will certainly go on the flight he handles together with his girlfriend, hopefully as much as possible of you will join this flight too!

Cheers
Frederic

gkirk

Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:01 pm

With regards to the Corsair 743 seen at BRU, it made a bit of history when it arrived at its destination, being the first ever 747-300 to land at NCL.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

lima

Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:10 pm

Hello Frederic,

I would like to join but I arrive one hour later (after 10AM as I come from NL as there is no earlier train) to BRU airport train.

Question: the walk you mention to the hangars, is easy? any idea of which direction?

thank you

Lima

viveAF

Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:30 pm

Hi Frederic, looking forward to meeting everyone on Saturday. I do hope we will be able to make at least one of the special flights !

As for the umbrella... I`m from Manchester.. we`re BORN with them  Laugh out loud

See you tomorrow !

Rich

Jumbolino

Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:06 pm

Hi Frederich, Hi Rich,

unfortunatly I heard about the umbrella a few days ago from my old collegue.

@Rich for saturday evening it's planned that he fetches us at approx. 5 p.m. in Diegem and plan would be to go to Louvain and to make a small city-walk (+/- 1 hour) before it is getting evening (darkness). Afterwards a meal and a Stella (a general overview of the plant site of INTERBREW  Wink/being sarcastic (Stella, etc ....) might be an option) in a (more student) tavern....
Too bad that Patrick couldn't come earlier  Sad

Till tomorrow
Jumbolino.

PS: @Rich - another collegue from the SR/SN Flight-planning project ages ago told me ages ago that it doesn't rain in his mind it drizzle (in my mind it rained cats and dogs) and he was naturally from your surrounding  Wink/being sarcastic
Kind Regards, Jutta.

Sabena332

Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:19 pm

Guys, I think I will not come to BRU and stay at home tomorrow because:

1. bad weather during the whole weekend

2. there was an equipment change, my BRU-FRA flight is now operated by a CR1 instead of the CR7 which is still missing in my collection of planes I flew on

3. I will miss the visit in the Stella brewery

No, I was just kidding, of course I will be there! Frederic, we will wait for you in the departure hall under the red plane on Sunday at approximately 9am. I hope we catch a seat on one of the sightseeing flights (hopefully a flight where Luchtzak is on).

See you tomorrow

Patrick

PS: Jutta, beat the bartender up if he is going to close the hotel bar before I arrive there  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

Jumbolino

Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:30 pm

@Patrick,

If not I've an idea - we buy a (cold) sixpack stella and put it under cold water until you arrive - believe me that old student trick works very well  Wink/being sarcastic

Jumbolino.

PS: I will have an Avro on both flights - I have it already in my collection and it's awsome  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Kind Regards, Jutta.

Sabena332

Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:34 pm

If not I've an idea - we buy a (cold) sixpack stella and put it under cold water until you arrive - believe me that old student trick works very well

That would be very nice! I will need an ice cold (Belgium) beer when I arrive at the hotel.

Patrick

MD-11er

Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:16 pm

I will be there too.

My girlfriend will be part of the team that will sell SNBA collectibles as the models of the AVRO, A319 and A330.
They will be from different scales and different prices.
Don't forget they won't take credit cards and bank cards as there is no bank terminal in the SNBA hangar.
So if you want to buy something don't forget to take some money with you. For the foreigners there are different cash automates in the airport at the arrival level or there is also one at the level above the departures (the level with the pizza hut) the automat is situated next to the game center.

I really hope on good weather so that I can take some pics of you guys boarding the aircraft, take off and see your green faces when you deboard because off the low passes.

Just a joke I don't know if they are going to do some low passes as there will be some kids and in the first place these flights are meant to make people comfortable with SN Brussels Airlines and not to afraid them.  Wink/being sarcastic

But I will be there: count me in  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I won't be there until late in the evening as on 20.00 we have the big football clash in Belgium in between Anderlecht and FC Bruges and as a big fan of Anderlecht I have to make it to the stadium.  Wink/being sarcastic

See you all on Sunday

Sabena332

Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:18 pm

Don't forget they won't take credit cards and bank cards as there is no bank terminal in the SNBA hangar.

MD-11er,

is it at least possible to pay the sightseeing flights with credit or debit card, or also with cash only? Seems that I have to go to an ATM at BRU airport before I come to the SN building.

Patrick

American 767

Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:54 pm

Yes I'm also planning to attend that open door day at SNBA. I'd be happy to join you folks and get to know you. However I have to catch a flight at 100PM, I'm flying on a BA A320 to LHR for your info. So Sabena 690, I can be there at 900-915AM under the red airplane hanged in the departure hall, so that we get to know each other and go to that convention together. I'll be wearing a beige jacket.
I hope to see you there  Smile.

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:09 am

Hey guys,

So far Jutta, Rich, Patrick and Ben join the 'formation' leaving at 9.10am under the red plane at the airport Big grin Anybody else interested?

Question: the walk you mention to the hangars, is easy? any idea of which direction?

Hi Lima, waiting at the airport until you arrive is a bit difficult, since we will arrive almost one hour after opening at SN in that case, so the queues will be ultra long already  Sad I recommend to take a taxi in your case. It's not easy if you don't know how to go! It's the whole other side of the airport.

@Rich: glad you are used to rain  Big grin

@Patrick: the luck is not on your side when I read point one to three! Big grin About the rain: actually the 'event' is inside the hangar. You can only become wet when you are spotting 25R departures, and when you have to queue outside to get in.

Credit card is possible when you have to pay for your flight. But only than I'm afraid. But a flight is only €25, so maybe play safe and bring 25 euro additional cash with you?

@Md-11er: I will certainly let you know on which flight I am! I'd appreciate some nice pictures, of course with a blue sky and nice surroundings in the background  Big grin Do airliners.netters get discounts while purchasing in the SN shop?  Big grin No seriously, see you and K on sunday!

@Ben: glad to meet you finally!

Cheers
Frederic

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:14 am

Just a short note about the weather forecast: it has improved for sunday! They predict some rainshowers in the morning, but the clouds will fade away in the afternoon. It stays cold, 13°.

Regards
Frederic

Sabena332

Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:28 pm

Hey guys,

the weather is looking good at the moment (at least here, and BRU is not so far away), I hope for a similar sunny day tomorrow at SN's open door!

I will travel without my notebook so I can't check eMails, if there is something important, just send me a SMS or call me on my mobile phone.

I am looking forward to this weekend!

Patrick