United777
Topic Author

Air Deccan's First Flight Accident At HYD

Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:29 pm

Just thought some of you might be interested in this. Hopefully the new airline won't see any more accidents like this for a while.

Air Deccan is India's first "no-frills" airline currently serving mainly southern Indian cities with ATR aircraft.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=199197

IndianFlyboy

RE: Air Deccan's First Flight Accident At HYD

Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:29 pm

This is bad stuff , for a change there was a no frills airline which had some future visible. Atleast from the first impressions the airline was not being mis managed like the others.

regards

gamps

Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:22 pm

Oh, that must be embrassing - with ministers and CM onboard!

I did observe bit unprofessional attitude of Air Deccan staff when I recently flew Bangalore - Mangalore - Bangalore. Flew both VT-ADA and VT-ADB: planes look new but it is clear that they were stored for a long time.

Staff were very enthusiastic no doubt, but I just did not get the feel that they are taking safety and sufficient precautions seriously enough. Like for example, since the flight was delayed to Mangalore they were just rearing to go and I even saw some movements with the door still being open and FA chatting with ground staff. Pilots are young and I think this is their first job after training. (though one of the pilots they have was an ace test pilot for Indian Airforce)

Anyway all this was on 3rd day of operations and 10th day of operations respectively. Their fare is 50% less compared to Jet Airways on the same route (which also use ATR in that route). I will have my trip report soon.

Cheers

gamps

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:13 am

Looks like it was not an accident after all.

Just the flames coming out of the engine due to accumulation of moisture which is very common I thought.

Cheers

gamps

Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:20 am

Photo of burning engine and smoke:

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/holnus/01242007.jpg

Note the Sun Microsystems logo. When I flew VT-ADB it was covered because Air Traffic Control at Bangalore had forced them to cover it sighting some old rules prohibiting advertisements on the plane! That day Bangalore - Mangalore ops was delayed for more than 5 hours since ATC denied permission to take off and they had to wait till the logo was covered. Sun is paying some $150,000 per year for this logo on the plane.

United777
Topic Author

Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:41 am

I think adverisment's on aircraft are a great idea! I am suprised a company like Sun will choose Air Deccan for there ads though. I would think they would choose Jet Airways for that.

Anybody know how the cabin crews are for the flights. Are they like Jet Airways?

gamps

Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:56 am

United777,

Re:Cabin crews, not really like Jet Airways. Uniform seems to be 60ish. I have a photo from a magazine which I plan to scan and put in the trip report.

It was kinda funny to fly with them. For airsickness bag there was a thick envelope which we find in Officemax with nothing printed. Just plain white envelope. And there was a safety instruction card with instructions in Hindi and English. Thats all. No inflight magazine, newspapers etc.

Later

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos