a340pilot

"Famous Aircraft" Used In Movies And TV?

Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:56 am

Does anyone know of any aircraft or the reg's of the aircraft used in movies and/or TV shows? Im just curious which airlines allow there crafts to be used in the movies (free advertising  Big grin ) I know that westjet allowed there aircraft to be used in "Snow Dogs" the Buena Vista movie that was released about 2 years ago!
Go! Canucks Go!

wernair

RE: "Famous Aircraft" Used In Movies And TV?

Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:02 am

N636X used in "Flight Girls" US movie name: "View from the top" as Sierra Airliners...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon
View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

[Edited 2003-09-25 23:03:19]
Wernair Photography

northseatiger

Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:02 am

on the movie theme but not famous aircraft i personally hate it when the movie shows say a 747 landing then the touchdown is a twin engine jet or like in rambo where the russian helicopter is actually a puma with add ons. what do you think ??
T's And P's look good....Rotate

a340pilot

Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:08 am

You have taken the words right out of my mouth, when they say a heavy is landing and in the shot its a prop plane or a Lear jet! Or on one TV show they had a shot of a southwest 737 leaving the airport for.........PARIS, FRANCE!!! Now correct me if im wrong but southwest doesn't fly to Paris, ill have to try and book a flight to Paris, France and see  Big grin
Go! Canucks Go!

LAX

Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:58 am

The Boeing 707 used in the original film, "Airport" (1970), (a B707-349C, serial no. 19351 [503rd 707 off the production line], originally registered N324F), was leased to MCA/Universal Pictures from Flying Tiger Line (now merged with FedEx) for the filming of the exterior shots. After filming was completed, the aircraft was returned to Flying Tigers and later sold, going through various owners before meeting a tragic end in a takeoff accident on March 21, 1989 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

[Edited 2003-09-26 00:00:21]

United_fan

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:05 am

I always thought the 707 from 'Airport' was a PA bird. Paint scheme looked like it. I remember reading that only 1 707 was used to film.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

LAX

Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:46 am

Nope. Not a Pan American.

Flying Tiger Line loaned out a 707 for Airport. And, yes, only one plane was used. You get the impression during the movie that 3 different craft are present....but you never see more than one 707 on screen at any one time.

American Airlines furnished the Boeing 747-100 for "Airport 1975". They didn't "hide" the fact it was an AA bird in that film. It's still flying for UPS. .....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dickson Ching

I think it was also an American B741 (or 742) used to portray the "Stevens Corporation" Jumbo in "Airport '77".

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:10 am

Air Force One movie is a Connie Kalitta 747-146 - either N703CK or N704CK, which one of the two... I dont know... The plane's pilot in command was a friend of mine, Paul Bishop, still with Kalitta Air...
xxx
The Learjet 24 you see appear in Airport 75, supposedly flown by Charlton Heston to catch the 747, was Clay Lacy's N1972L, which later became N464CL (s/n 24A-096) - Lacy's Learjet was the camera ship for all the air to air filming on that movie... If you care to know, I was the co-pilot. The filming of that 747 was done around Salt Lake City and Provo, UT...
xxx
I did talk to the stunt man who "hangs on that cable" from the helicopter to enter the 747... he went very close to the airplane... he told us, if there had been a "real hole" in the airplane, he could have made it in...
xxx
Clay Lacy is the air to air photography master of Hollywood, 99% of movies and TV commercials are made from his Learjets... he is a retired UAL 747 captain. He owns a FBO at the Van Nuys Airport. He hired me as pilot and pilot instructor during my furlough from PanAm... a super nice guy...
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

Tiger119

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:35 am

Hey Skipper,
I think I saw an interview with Mr. Lacy on a Discovery Channel television show (it could be another cable network) a few years ago talking about private jet ownership and Fractionals. He talked about his Lear (I don't remember the model).

A.T.A. has had aircraft in a few movies. "Die Hard II" and "Running Scared" come to mind.
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

elwood64151

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:57 am

Vanguard had an aircraft and its MCI gate area filmed in a movie in 2001. I don't recall the name, but it was an independent film. N912ME was the particular aircraft at the gate that day.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

AV8AJET

Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:18 pm

I once saw the C-123 that was used in the movie "Air America" and some other movies. I remember it was in a museum in Titusville, FL the last time I saw it. Sorry I have no idea what the Reg. was.
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

DeltaGuy

Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:57 pm

Seen the C-123 quite a few times, live down near Titusville. It was sitting derelict on the west end of the field for years, now some group bought it and is restoring it to flight status..pretty nice eh?

Liked the FORD commercial, shot in Mojave...where they're towing aircraft around with the truck, and they did one more, some white prop of sorts...of course this is an exaggeration, but supposedly the truck was so powerful it made the plane fly as it was being towed down the runway. On either side of the runway was all these ex. US AIR Metrojet 737's and such...looked like they were placed there for the shoot lol...a bit of free advertisting for US Air's sad state!

Also had to love Hot Shots, with that A-300 I believe, painted totally camo, which sat in Mojave for the longest time..good stuff!

Cheers,
DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

VS340

Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:18 pm

N473EV was used in Die Hard 2. Bruce Willis blew it up in the end

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alan McKnight

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kris Kjelstrup

Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:36 pm

If you also care to know, actor Cliff Robertson actually flew the DC8 used in his very good movie "The Pilot" (about an alcoholic pilot) - Cliff was a rated pilot, when Mr. Travolta was still getting his diapers changed...
(s) Skipper

FutureCEO

Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:18 pm

Here is one of my local movie stars:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias lutterodt

It was used for the movie "Executive Decision" with Steve Segal. Connie got to keep his registration # with his intials too.

Smile

Korg747

Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:07 pm

I have always questioned the 747 that was in diehard 2. The 747 that exploded at the end looked real. So did it actually explode or was it just effects. Cause it looked so real in my opinion!
Please excuse my English!

JMChladek

Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:20 pm

Okay, I know the movie was garbage, but which particular Concorde was used in "The Concorde, Airport 79"? I'm thinking it was one of the French built ones (not necessarily AF operated), given that the film had scenes shot at Orly and near the Alps.

Airport 75 was on recently and its still a pretty fun film to watch, mainly for those really nicely done closeups with the 747 at low altitude. Knowing that Lacy helped shoot them adds to the enjoyment now (thanks 747skipper).

Airport 77 and 79 began to stretch plausibility to the breaking point, although 77 is fun for its Navy salvage operations. And frankly I want to know how they managed to shoot THAT sequence. If the bit with the 747 raising out of the water was miniature, it looked dang good. If it was full size, then that really took some serious logistical planning to pull off.

And yes, Cliff Robertson in "The Pilot" is a very good film. If its out on DVD, I want to add it to my collection. But does anyone know the history of that particular DC-8 (probably only just one again, repainted to appear as other planes). The producers seemed to have a thing in that film for having airliners named after Texas cities getting hit with bad luck.  Nuts

Convair 880s have been used in movies from time to time. N817TW was repainted and used for a crash scene in the Clint Eastwood, Charlie Sheen film "The Rookie" when it was stored at Mojave (probably scrap metal now). The scene it was used in was where its wing is seen clobbering a private jet. Parts of the first Convair 880 (N801TW) without its nose (which at last check in Delta colors was, on display in Atlanta's Heritage Row) were painted in United colors and filmed extremely closeup to simulate the crash of UA232 in the TV film "Crash Landing, the story of Flight 232". BTW, that is also a rather good TV film based on the actual event as it has some great stars in it (Charleton Heston, James Coburn, Richard Thomas) and doesn't get caught up in goofy melodrama and side stories like what other disaster films (even ones based on actual events) have. I don't think it was ever issued on DVD, but video copies might be available.

707CMF

Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:32 pm

Okay, I know the movie was garbage, but which particular Concorde was used in "The Concorde, Airport 79"? I'm thinking it was one of the French built ones (not necessarily AF operated), given that the film had scenes shot at Orly and near the Alps.

The Concorde used in that movie was F-BTSC, the - unfortunate one, that sadly crashed after takeoff from CDG on July 25th 2000 :-(

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:40 pm

Used in a James Bond movie :

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © Antoine Ossadzow

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere

Plug plug plug Big grin
Note the signs in Russian..forgot the name of the movie though but it had Sophie Marceau in it (bonne... Smile)
Will

[Edited 2003-09-26 09:40:41]
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

L-188

Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:47 pm

Lets see here.

Saw TC's chopper from Magnum P.I. the TV series.

Seen the Die Hard 747 in person, it was at Marana in storage. Bad doors installed on it's cargo conversion.

Seen the Con-Air C-123 at the Reno Air Races in 1996. It was on static display.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

JMChladek

Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:52 pm

The Concorde used in that movie was F-BTSC, the - unfortunate one, that sadly crashed after takeoff from CDG on July 25th 2000 :-(

You're kidding!!! Oh my, now that does leave a sad bit of irony, considering the final scene in the film showing the burning plane (rather a plane shaped snow pack) with the tail coming to rest at an angle.  Sad

Goose

Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:10 pm

One of WestJet's aircraft was used in the T.V. movie about the Aloha Airlines incident in which a part the roof ripped off - it was called "Miracle Landing," and showed an identical incident aboard a fictional airline, "Paradise Airlines." I think it aired in the late '80s.

The aircraft which "starred" in that movie was then an Aloha Airlines ship. The aircraft is now registered C-GCWJ;

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bruce Leibowitz
View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Wachter

A link to a synopsis of the movie is here;

http://www.airodyssey.net/articles/movie-ml.html

Now, this actual aircraft's history has been passed around and changed over the years, to the point where a number of WS employees have told me (in all seriousness) that ship 723 is actually the airframe from the real incident - the former N73711 of Aloha, that had the accident and had an roof section ripped off, but has since had "extensive repairs" and has visible signs of "heavy patching and riveting"..... it's interesting to see how actual fact gets construed over time, and how the story gets changed into something else.

The actual aircraft from the real incident (N73711) was written off after that incident, and broken up for parts.

[Edited 2003-09-26 10:13:32]
"Talk to me, Goose..."

JMChladek

Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:27 pm

BTW, the inflight shots of the 737 from that film were done with a custom built, ducted fan RC plane about 4 feet long built by a model shop in CA (Van Nuys I believe). The thing as I recall was a pig to fly due to its intentionally built "ripped off" roof section. I heard talk that they only got one pass of inflight shots before the RC plane crashed. I don't know if it was repaired or not though. But I did hear rumors that it might have been entered at one of the national RC meets in the scale aircraft category after its film use.

virgin744

Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:33 pm

pacific international (DC-10) in Passenger 57. Made up name of course... What got me was the f/a shouts "This is a friggin jumbo jet" to which Wes Snipes replies "Yeah I know". Surely that glaring mistake should have been spotted by the producers???

Confused
virgin744

Goose

Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:44 pm

Lots of people consider a "jumbo jet" to be anything larger than a 737. I don't think anyone has defined the term in a strict sense of a single aircraft type.
"Talk to me, Goose..."

aussie747

Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:04 pm

QF747-400's have been used in Movies Mission Impossible II an Crocodile4 Dundee II and III, do not know the registration numbers

LAX

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:31 pm

What airline, I wonder, loaned out their DC-6 equipment for the movie "Julie" (1956), in which Doris Day saves the day by landing the plane herself? A fun film, with aviation connections to boot. Doris works for "Amalgamated Airlines". Miss Day actually took a stewardess training course to prep for the film.

http://www.dorisday.net/Julie/julie.html

Delboy

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:53 pm

Was Passenger 57 a DC10, memory seems to be telling me it was an L1011, you may be right, if so accept my apologies for questioning you.

DL_Mech

Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:04 pm

Passenger 57 was N330EA
View Large View Medium

Photo © Adriaan Lengkeek

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

a340pilot

Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:51 am

Was the spoof comedy films of airplane, airplane 2, etc with Leslie Nielson used partially in a real aircraft or all just a set??
Go! Canucks Go!

MD80Nut

Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:35 am

Yes, the plane used in Passenger 57 was an L-1011.

There was a movie made in the 90s with Dustin Hoffman I believe called "Hero" or something like it. It's about a man who helps some passengers escape from a crashed plane. The plane used was the 727-100 used by Boeing during the prop-fan engine trials of the late 80s.

cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:47 am

A footnote about Clay Lacy... the camera ship pilot for most air to air filming...
xxx
Clay is the most experienced in that specialty... he actually is a full fledged "Hollywood director" and advises for aviation matters in the movie industry. Unfortunately, despite many recommendations, Hollywood needs more "sensational" situations, improbable, impossible things in real life...
xxx
The public swallows it all, not knowing anything in any case...
Clay was a UAL captain, flew if I remember well, some 20 different types of airliners - from the DC3 up to 747-400 - and is an expert Learjet pilot. In the National Guard, he flew F-86s - He owns a large and famous FBO in Van Nuys. He has reportedly logged some 40,000+ hours of flying. If "it flies" chances Clay has flown it... last time he was in Moscow, he flew one hour of Mig-29 fighter time... (he was filming that aircraft air to air)... The majority of airline commercials (air to air) you see on TV are filmed by Clay's operation. His Learjets have a special camera system called "Astrovision" - the camera lenses are filming through a periscope system on top of fuselage and through the belly of the Learjets. There are no restrictions on altitude and speeds other than standard limitations for the Learjets. He often goes "on location" as far as Australia, or Europe, to shoot i.e. new airliners, new paint jobs of airlines... Boeing sales package to airlines include "footage" for that airline's TV commercials. Clay has that contract. Nobody has a matching camera system like he has in the world... protected by copyrights...
xxx
Hollywood movies about airplanes and airlines are ridiculous, but I enjoy watching them for the air to air photography, and making my long list of errors, mistakes, inadequacies and misinformations...
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

SPLOBKrakow

Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:59 am

Not sure if anyone noticed but in the movie "Anger Managment" During the first 5 min you can see the tail of LOT Polish Airlines.
I have to say that made the moveie much , much better  Smile

I'm assuming the movie was shot at JFK and LOT has no idea its even in there.

SPLOBKrakow

a340pilot

Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:36 am

I think that before they make a movie they need to consult airplane enthusiasts and spotters for accuracy in what they are putting on screens  Big grin How much do producers actually know about aircraft? (besides how "comfy" there seats are on the private Lear jet, LOL )
Go! Canucks Go!

levg79

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:24 am

Aeroflot's Tupolev 154 (reg CCCP-85131) was used in The Aircrew (1980).

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jakob Dahlgaard Kristensen

In the film, the plane's co-pilot goes out to fix a hole in the fuselage while the plane is airborne. He successfully climbs out through the engine no. 2 trying to fix a problem. A great movie for the aviation fans, however, you would have to watch about half the movie before real aviation stuff begins.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

flynavy

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:38 am

Odd, I always thought the L1011 used in P57 was an ex-LTU bird. For the record, a number of scenes were shot in Orlando, both in the city and at the gate at Mco.
Change is: one airline, six continents!

aa757first

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:38 am

In Rat Race, you can see a National 757 landing in LAS as the character is screaming "Where's the airport?!?".

In the 80s TV show the "Facts of Life" flew TWA.

In Home Alone the dad can be seen boarding an AA flight.

AV8AJET

Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:07 pm

I haven't seen the movie but I saw a trailer of the movie "Sniper" and noticed an ex-Delta L-1011. Anyone know which one this was and where was it parked?
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

boeing767mech

Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:30 pm

The Rookie with Clint Eastwood and Charlie sheen had a Convair 880 in the ending getting hit by another airplane. Don't know much about the other airplane, but the Convair 880 was N817TW SN#23 started with NorthEast Airlines, and finish it's career with TWA.

David
Team Convair 880
www.convair880.com
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

Adam T.

Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:25 am

In all of the Home Alone movies (except the one made for TV) they all fly American. In Home Alone 1 and 2 they even advertise American Airlines in the previews.
A couple of things I found in both movies, i'll start with Home Alone 1
1.) They get it right by showing an AA DC-10 from ORD to CDG, even down to the interior. I'll have to watch it again for the landing sequence to see if they showed the DC-10 again.
2.)When the Mom gets on the plane to go from CDG to DFW, they show an MD-80 or a 757, I can't remember.
3.)When they show her landing in Scranton, PA it shows an AA DC-10
Home Alone 2:
They show Kevin boarding an AA 767-200 for his flight from ORD to LGA, but the interior looks alot like a DC-10.

Also the Oceania 747 used in Executive Decision was also used in a movie with Jack Wagner who plays the Captain. I forgot the name but it's about a mad man who follows his ex-girlfriend to Sydney where she is on her honeymoon with her new husband and to get back at her he plants a bomb on the plane she is on going from Sydney to Los Angeles.
Do not get it confused with the movie "The Pilot" where Wagner plays a pilot for a ficitonal airline based out of DFW, and has 3 wives, one in Dallas, one in Chicago, and one in Honolulu. Some scenes of that movie by the way were actually filmed at DFW.

fxra

Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:01 am

I can't remember the tial # of the aircraft used in "Castaway", but at some points you see a shot of the MEM hub, there are tons of planes in the background (along with Grummans, the trucks, and CTVs driving through). PLus the Airbus they are loading at the "Moscow" ramp (which strongly resembles the LAX ramp) was an actual A310 (sans smoke curtain) and a couple shots you can see another Airbus out the crew door. THeres a good chance I've loaded or worked wt & bl on all those planes  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

That movie was essentially a FedEx commercial with a surviovr episode thrown in the middle.

Later
JD
Visualize Whirled Peas

ERFly

Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:10 am

Also the scenes in Passenger 57 that were supposed to be in the Louisiana were filmed in Sanford, FL. You can even see Comair Aviation Academy in the background.

a340pilot

Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:24 am

There was also a Delta Lockheed (I think?) in the movie S.W.A.T where the SWAT team is running on the top of the aircraft. Does anyone know if that was the same plane that was sold on eBay? There are also clips of other aircrafts. Check out the trailer and you can see them.

http://www.mytelus.com/movies/trailers.do?movieID=49933a

Go! Canucks Go!

luv2fly

Sun Sep 28, 2003 4:31 am

What I thought was unusual about the first home alone was the fact that the AA flight from ORD to Paris took off from the AM in ORD, flew non stop to Paris and then landed in the AM, talk about one way long flight.....
You can cut the irony with a knife

a340pilot

Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:17 am

"Top Gun" I know its not airliner related but what an awesome movie, and in surround sound you get the feel of actually being there with the jet blasts and all!  Big thumbs up

Best regards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

Bobs89irocz

Sun Sep 28, 2003 7:45 am

Also in Top Gun when Maverick is about to quit top gun he is in a resteraunt when that chick comes in to talk to him about him leaving when she opens the door to come in there is an AA 727 taxing in the background.

In Home Alone 2, one of the first shots of the airplanes shows a 767 taking off and another one taxing onto the runway. Well i cant remember the reg # but my dad had that 767 that was taxing onto the runway in for maintnace the night before we went to see the movie. (long time ago)

I was always currious as to the history behind the Delta L1011 in the movie SWAT if anyone knows it im interested.

FlagshipAZ

Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:48 am

In case anyone is interested... in Airport '75 the 747 is a -123 registered N9675 at the time, and in Airport '77 the 747 was another -123 registered N9667. Both were leased from American for the movies. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

a340pilot

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:24 pm

In the movie "View from the top" which airport was it that had high crystal cathedral type windows? That airport looked really nice, and the shot that was shown from above showed the world map on the ground. Very nice  Big thumbs up

best reguards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:39 pm

Castaway actually had full support from Fedex.. Looked like a DC-10 or A300 in Moscow judging by the old dials in the cockpit.. But when Forrest Gump screwed up that Fedex flight over the pacific the cockpit looked like an MD-11.. In the end they actually got Fred Smith Fedex CEO to play himself in the part when they are welcoming tom back from the Pacific island. Probably was a good Fedex commercial, portrayed the company in a good light.. I mean he got his job back after not showing up and not calling in for 7 years or however long it was

L-188

Sun Sep 28, 2003 12:54 pm

Yeah, but I bet Tom didnt' get back pay for any off it.

Probaby docked him his vaction time too.

One thing about Castaway. I was under the impression that this certian Challenger that flies into ANC occasionally was Fred (I killed Flying Tigers) Smith corperate aircraft.

When they are flying Tom back after he is rescued, that is clearly the interior of a Gulfstream he is in.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.