GSPSPOT
Topic Author

Buying Old/Used Airline Dishes/Flatware

Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:28 am

Does anyone know how (other than airline enthusiast shows that never seem to be anywhere near where I live) one can purchase old or discontinued patterns of dishes and flatware used in business & first class on various airlines?

I've emailed several US carriers about this, but don't ever seem to get a response. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Finally made it to an airline mecca!

travellin'man

RE: Buying Old/Used Airline Dishes/Flatware

Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:40 am

As a sometimes collector of air, train and nautical china, I can tell you that the stuff is scarce. Even on EBay there are few to no items. Try Fishes Eddy in NYC; they used to have a lot of it, and they have a website they keep relatively current. I wouldn't expect the airlines to be very helpful. It might be more productive to find out who the china makers are, and, if they're still in business, contact them to see if they have old stock.

And if you find out anything, by all means let me know!!

All I have of air stuff is a Lufthansa thingie that looks like a sake jug, and a Western Airlines cup and saucer. Those I found up in Washington, and were a fluke. Rummaging at antique shows and fairs always helps.

Cheers!
It is not enough to be rude; one must also be incorrect.

mariner

Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:51 am

I've had very good luck on EBay. I have a stack of AMR, TWA, Pan AM, Qantas and Briitsh (BOAC) old crockery.

I also have some odd but very items - an old Aerflot cup and saucer and quite a bunch of Western Airlines creamers.

It doesn't turn up every day - I just keep looking.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

mariner

Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:56 am

As a follow up, I just checked.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=airlines&ht=1&combine=y&SortProperty=MetaNewSort&st=1

There are 58 pages of airline stuff, an on just about every page there's some airline crockery or flatware.

may not be what you're looking for, but new stuff comes in every day.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

TWFirst

Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:25 am

I have complete service for 10 of TWA china, including condiment cups, linen, silverware, bowls, entree and side/dessert plates, wine and cocktail glasses. Also a coffee pot, silver tray, toothpick dispenser, and my all time favorite item, a TWA ice mallet. Sometime, I'm planning to have a little dinner party and play FA Big grin.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.