ATL Traveller
Topic Author

What Goes With The Sale?

Thu Dec 30, 1999 6:58 am

I recently was on a Delta flight from Atlanta to Boston. It was reg. # N766DA (L-1011-500). While looking around the cabin I noticed that the "No Smoking" and "Fasten Seat Belts" signs were in French as well as English. In the US, I would expect Spanish to be the second language used. At the time, I figured that the plane once belonged to Pan Am and frequently flew to France. I did some investigation and found that the plane actually was owned by Air Canada as C-GAGH. That would explain why the signs were in French.

My question is this... How much on an airplane's interior is kept after a sale to another airline. I'm sure the seats, carpeting, etc. would have all traces of the previous owner's name or logo removed, but what about the lavs, cockpit, television monitors, etc.? Also, while in that plane, I looked for any sign of Pan Am ownership (Like I said, I thought it may have been a Pan Am plane) but found none. Where could I have looked for any leftover emblems, logos, etc.? Or have any baggage handlers seen signs of the old ownership inside the cargo holds of planes. For example, old Eastern logos, stickers, etc. inside the cargo holds of US Airways planes? Just askin'.
Matt D

RE: What Goes With The Sale?

Thu Dec 30, 1999 7:40 am

I'm not really sure. I guess it depends on the airline, and how long they want to keep the plane, and how conscientious they are! I flew on a USAir 767 back in July of '94, and the food carts had Piedmont still engraved in the metal!

RE: What Goes With The Sale?

Fri Dec 31, 1999 1:06 am

I agree with Matt. For the startups, the expense of removing these items can be a low priority if they are in working order.

When Kiwi first started, I was invited to spend the day with them and the 722 we toured was from LH. All the signage was in English and German.

My friend Dennis used to frequent Tower Air until he was aboard for their crash at JFK a few Decembers ago (he probably still would if they did not try to coerce him to get on another plane about 2 hours after the crash) that had the Pan Am globe on the belt buckles, etc.

The most extreme example I can think of is when I flew a Pan Am (II) A300 and the audio program was all from Continental (and said so repeatedly).