leviticus

Sightseeing Trip With Qantas

Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:32 am

I just got curious when I saw this beautiful picture, does anyone know if it still is possible to get on an "Arctic Sightseeing"-trip like the one this picture is taken from, or is it something of the past, maybe the plane was chartered ?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Craig Murray

copaair737

RE: Sightseeing Trip With Qantas

Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:34 am

I believe that QF still runs these. They are very expensive, and last up to 12 hours i think. It is like 3000 dollars per ticket. NZ used to fly it, until their DC10 crashed into Mt. Erebus.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

timf

Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:45 am

Do they only sell window seats? There doesn't seem to be much of a point to these trips if you can't see out the window. At the same time it doesn't make sense to fly a 747 with only 20% of the seats filled.

flykal

Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:36 am

My understanding is that they do sell ALL the seats, however, they have some system in place where passengers swap seats at certain times, in order to provide everyone with a chance to see outside!
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:57 am

Yes, as Flykal mentioned, they do sell ALL seats, with different prices for the seats depending on where they are located in the aircraft.

Seemed that the window seats either side of the plane behind the wings are the most expensive, followed by the "other" window seats, then the "window side aisle seats" and finally the middle row seats going for the cheapest. And of course I'm only talking about economy class seats - first and/or business class are different prices I think. And yes for those window seats it seems they do have a system in place whereby they get the passengers to swap seats halfway thru thre flight, which is about the point where the aircraft turn-back somewhere in Antartica.

I think QF is still offering theese flights this southern summer (Dec 03/Jan-Feb 04), and there seems to be a website somewhere about it, but I can remember the URL. Perhaps someone else could help.

Cheers!

Smile

ped

Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:35 am

Yes, QF are still conducting these flights.
Please see: www.croydontravel.com.au
Ped

ted747

Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:36 am

Yep - they operate during our Summer - very popular one departs New Years Eve. They are extremely expensive considering your spend 12 hours + in the air, hand over AUD 2,000 - 3,000.00 for a y class seat only to arrive back where you started. The J and F class seats are priced way over the top.

Yes they do swap around different Y class seats during the flight and have external cameras on board that show you the view on the inflight entertainment system.

cheers
t.

PER744

Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:44 am

Prices this year start from $899. Saw the details in the newspaper on the weekend, can't remember much other than the price though, and that there will be two flights out of SYD and two out of MEL.

leviticus

Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:02 am

Thanks guys for all the info !
I might try one of these when I have time and money, it would be really nice.

TNboy

Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:09 am

Just be aware that the two middle seats (the cheapest ones) don't alternate, so you should avoid these. Pay a bit more and get either the aisle seats in the middle block of four, or the aisle seats of the window 3 pairs, which alternate with the window and centre seat. A few hours is spent actually over Antarctica, and the seat swap is done midway through this segment.
I did the flight many years ago and it was sensational!! Great value for money.
Cheers,
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

Oz777

Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:47 am

Just a small point but Qantas does NOT fly sightseeing trips over the ARCTIC. The closest they get is LAX-JFK.

Qantas DOES however fly sightseeing trips to the ANTARCTIC. It is just at the opposite end of the world!!

OZ777

POSITIVE RATE

Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:03 pm

Man that sux how the middle 2 seats don't alternate. What's the point of these even being occupied than when you can't see a thing? ? Yeah sure

thadocta

Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:48 pm

"Just a small point but Qantas does NOT fly sightseeing trips over the ARCTIC. The closest they get is LAX-JFK."

Awww, I dunno, we got pretty close to Oslo when coming in from SIN to LHR last week.

Dave