PresRDC
Topic Author

SAA's Use Of Widebody Equipment On JNB-CPT Route

Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:07 am

Hi All,

Next month, I will be flying SAA within South Africa on the JNB-CPT route. It appears that the majority of flights on this route are operated by 737-800 equipment. However, a handful of frequencies are operated by Airbus and Boeing widebodies. Being an airliner fan, I naturally booked myself onto the widebody segments and will be traveling in business class on a combination of paid tickets and Delta Air Lines award travel. I am assuming that the widebody aircraft are primarily used on long haul flights and operate domestic segments between these flights. As such, I am somewhat concerned that these domestic widebody flights are prone to delays and equipment changes owing to their primary use on international flights. Is my concern justified?

FYI, I am booked onto the SA 321 (JNB-CPT on an A340-600) on Oct. 21; SA 346 (CPT-JNB on an A340-200) on Oct. 25; and SA 352 (CPT-JNB on a 747-400) on Oct. 31.

Thanks!

gigneil

RE: Since When LCD Screens In A340-300 Cockpit?

Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:18 am

Your concern is very justified - SAA uses the widebodies on these routes to maximize their use, and, of course, for thru service from CPT to other international destinations via JNB. Depending on the direction and times a delay is certainly possible.

N

jtamu97

RE: SAA's Use Of Widebody Equipment On JNB-CPT Route

Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:13 am

I would be more concerned with the ones that originate in CPT. When I was in South Africa last year, it seemed that the widebodies came into Capetown from the international destination with a short layover, mostly less than and hour, then off to JNB. On the other hand the ones going from JNB had been sitting for a while, then would stop in Capetown en route to the international destination. Enjoy your flights and the business class service on the short flight is very nice.

Later,
Jay
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller