trnswrld

Sitting Next To People That Talk To Much!

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:09 am

Has anyone found it to be very annoying when you sit next to a person that wants to do nothing but talk to you? I remember a flight way back I was on a TWA 727 from STL to MCO when this nun tried to talk to me about jesus the entire flight. Now I have nothing wrong with religious people or anything, but when she started reading books to me I started to get a little annoyed. Especially when all I wanted to do was look out the window and enjoy my flight. I am not the kinda person that would disrespect someone so I chatted with this women as much as I could and ended up with a small collection of religious pamphlets to bring home with me. LOL I am a fairly social person so its not that I dont like talking but it just wasnt my choice of subjects while cruising along at 500 knots. Anyone else have an experience with someone like this?
(now if its a hot chic next to me thats another story Smile/happy/getting dizzy

RE: Sitting Next To People That Talk To Much!

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:11 am

I had this happen in First one time. Damn guy drove me nuts.

panaman

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:17 am

Just ask them to kindly use the door at the rear of the plane this generally shuts people up
Sorry I moved from SXM, looking for a new house on Anguilla now!

Richard28

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:21 am

This is where PTV comes into its own - headphones on and ignore!

Failing that, a few swift Jack Daniels and you may enjoy their conversation and perhaps even out-talk them  Wink/being sarcastic

TWFirst

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:23 am

I ALWAYS bring my CD player/headphones with me for just this reason (and to tune out screaming kids or loud people in general). Headphones on, eyes closed or head turned towards window... people get the idea.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

UPSfueler

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:26 am

Yeah, either that or you have some business man next to you trying to show you his "portfolio" and bragging to you how he saved his company so much money by making the deal with the Nestle people.

kilavoud

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:30 am

I understand you and what you have suffered. This person was maybe manipulated by a religious organization and was not really conscious that she was disturbing you. Next time you just tell that you need to listen to some music and put your earphone on, even if it is not true. It would not be a lie, it would be a way out for you to enjoy your flight and looking outside. Your privacy must be respected. Regards. Kilavoud.

dispatch

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:33 am

I once had an encounter with an old lady. Saw her first time in Paris. Wheelchair and all... No problem with that, except she pushed everybody aside with that damned thing. On the next flight from JFK to DFW found her again, NEXT TO ME. She was gasping and an FA put her on oxygen. She nearly put her head in my lap (no vomiting smilies found.....)
I got out of my seat, DEMANDED (which I don't do normally) another seat and got it (no smiley found to express my gratitude....)

Peter

aviatortj

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:37 am

We can't forget those smelly people too. I was on FL from RSW-ATL and trying to take my pictures out the window and work on my laptop (luckily it is a shorter flight). This smelly dude was talking about the airlines and how bad they are and this and that. I just wanted to do my work and breathe clean air. It turns out he just worked a 'desk job' and had no ties to the airlines so how would he know what is good and what isn't? Especially FL...they were pretty good last I checked.

~TJ

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:42 am

Sometimes the people next to you are actually worth talking to. I have yet to have an awful experience with someone talking too much or about obnoxious things. The nun giving me the complete teachings of Jesus would be a bit obnoxious however. Another question for the aviation enthusiast, if it was a pilot deadheading somewhere and he talked too much would that be irritating to you as well?

kilavoud

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:51 am

Never, never, never irritated !!! I would like to sit near a pilot deadheading somewhere, but I would have to respect his desire for privacy, and nevertherless hope that we could talk a while together when he would feel like to. Regards. Kilavoud.

aviatortj

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:58 am

if it was a pilot deadheading somewhere...

I would love it! As long as he is willing to talk aviation or other interesting stuff (read:planes) I am all for it. Pilots are generally really great guys, and while people are normal and respectful I am happy.

~TJ

airways

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:10 am

But it can be fun too...

I once had a passenger next to me on a flight from HKG to ZRH. My neighbor on that flight was a Spanish businessman who came from Macau, heading for MAD.

We talked a bit during the whole flight, but it wasn't that easy. He did only speak Spanish and Portugese, and I'm only speaking English/German/French. So we didn't really understand us... But at the end of the flight, I knew pretty much about him... That was a nice flight!  Big grin

Michael
http://airsider.net

yyz717

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:22 am

I once had an encounter with an old lady.

That's really gross man!  Big grin

I was on a TWA 727 from STL to MCO when this nun tried to talk to me about jesus the entire flight.

Just tell her you're a Protestant with a wife, 12 kids & a gay lover. That'll shut her up.

Seriously, I've never had a problem with unnecessary chat. Have something to read in your lap at all times or close your eyes pretending to sleep. Of course being 6-2 with a scowl helps also!  Big thumbs up

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

N243NW

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:24 am

Also among my pet peeves are shrieking babies in the next row or that annoying 7-year-old boy that is by coincidence seated directly behind you and refuses to stop kicking your seatback. Ughhhh!
-N243NW Big grin

[Edited 2003-09-30 22:25:34]
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

CV990A

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:37 am

The only times I had this problem, it actually turned out to be a good thing! While traveling around South Africa with some friends, we noticed that the ketchup was thinner and sweeter than the Heinz 57 our palates were used to. During the first leg of my trip home, from CPT to JNB, it turns out I was seated next to an executive from a South African ketchup company! Who was able to explain the difference (how convenient, right?) The only other time was the scenario Kilavoud described- a deadheading DL pilot, who, like myself was a part owner of a Cessna 172, so we spent the entire flight talking Cessnas- a great experience as well!
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

FLIEGER67

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:43 am

Hi,
sometimes its hard to say what you like or dont like but it´s better to clear it fast.
I´ve never had as bad situations as you, but I´ve had the problems like aviatortj with the smelly people. Close your ears with the headset, thats possible, but close your nose?
I´ve done a flight in Eco with a French Basketball-Player behind me, I´m not a small guy but he!,his hands over my head,his legs in front of my seat,his kness in my
seatback, that was really hard, Thank god at arrival and thank god that this was a short flight CDG/STR 50 minutes.
But anyway I like to fly as much as its possible,until nothing else harder happens.
Regards,Markus (FLIEGER67)
Tripreporter.net

trnswrld

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:48 am

One other thing that REALLY gets on my nerves is when someone is talking about the airlines or airplanes and are making completely false statements and think they know everything. (Im a pilot myself so I know slightly more than the average passenger)
I was on another TWA flight a while back and one of there policies was to ensure all window shades were open for takeoff and landing. I overheard the guy behind me say to the person next to him "I wonder why they require you to keep the shades open for takeoff and landing?" the gentlemen answers "that's so the F16's can see in the airplane if there are terrorists"
I sat there and laughed, then thought to myself, where do people come up with some of this stuff? (besides there a$$ Smile/happy/getting dizzy
The real reason TWA had this policy was in case of an emergency passengers can see outside of the aircraft and escape to the safest possible location. AA does not require this policy.

dinker225

Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:50 am

Last time I went to Australia, from SFO-SYD I had a lady sitting next to me that reminded me of my old english teacher in school. We striked up a common chat as we boarded. She then started telling me about her life and how she liked reading. She said she read like 2 books from NYC-SFO and she whipped out all of these books asking me if I had read them. I told her that I had hardly read any of them and she started trying to give me one to read on the flight. Luckily I was dead tired after a full day of work and was able to pass out right after takeoff. Woke up in Sydney and she started asking me stuff about the book she gave me.

That was a horrible flight. Hope it never happens again.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

BN747

Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:01 am

TWFirst wrote:
I ALWAYS bring my CD player/headphones with me for just this reason (and to tune out screaming kids or loud people in general). Headphones on, eyes closed or head turned towards window... people get the idea."

TWFirst has it right...always come armed with your gear..you'll never know when it's needed. Wait til you get the lady with a screaming infant next to, or near you. Or that plus a rambucious buzzsaw of a 5 year old jumping up and down in a seat or running up and down the aisles...talk about a nightmare!

But I would have told the Nun....I work for the IRS and I'm an auditor....so Sister Sally...have you always had that name ..or is that an alias? That'll shut her up faster than a clam shell.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

cedarjet

RE: Sitting Next To People That Talk Too Much!

Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:18 am

I will not talk to people on planes. I mean, come on, I work hard for a living and I would really like some peace and quiet so I can read my book and look out the window. Some guy from Helsinki / Milwaukee / Slough talking about their ex / sports team / The Lord is just not acceptable. Babes and pilots are the exceptions but on thousands of flights I've never sat next to either.

To be honest I don't mind letting them know, and it's not just on planes. I mean, if someone on a train started talking to you about Jesus you'd move or look them right in the eye and tell them to pipe the fuck down. Why tolerate it on a plane?

[Edited 2003-09-30 23:20:23]
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

emiratesa345

Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:24 am

HA! You people think you had it bad?

Sure, people talking to you about crap you don't know or care about can be annoying.

Two years ago on my return from from PRG-YYZ on CSA Czech Airlines A310, a man sitting one row behind and one seat to the left, was coughing up flem the entire flight.

I kid you not. It was absolutely disgusting. From the moment he sat in his chair, he busted out a container that looked like a hollowed out log with a bottom and a lid. He then proceeded to cough up some bodily fluid and spit it into the container.

The couple in the seats in front of me stood up and gave him a dirty look. I was hoping it would end it, but it didn't even make him think twice.

You have NO IDEA how disgusting it is to eat or even just sit there, while this guy was doing this. Myself and the rest of the passengers were so incredibly happy when he fell asleep, unfortunately not for long.

EmiratesA345 Yeah sure
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

deltairlines

Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:39 am

I normally don't have conversations with whoever I'm flying next to. If it is someone that I know personally (read: first name basis), then I might make small take about appropriate stuff, but not random stuff. When it is someone that I don't know, I just sit there and do work or read the paper or do something. I don't care who it is...I've flown with celebrities, dead-heading crew, etc...everyone wants some personal time, and a plane is a pretty good place to find time to just relax yourself.

As for annoying, having a 2 year old behind you kick your seat and shriek the entire flight is pretty bad. Especially when you and the culprit are both flying first class...not that pleasant of a flight.

Jeff

aviatortj

Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:43 am

Dont forget the person that falls asleep and starts leaning over to your seat... That is why you should always fly with a friend that can sit next to you.

~TJ

AWspicious

Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:16 am

I find a pillow and blanket works wonders... Even if you're not really sleepy.

a.w.
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

ted747

Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:19 am

Most memorable occasion was on a flight CDG - SIN - SYD which is about 20+ hours. Has this very good looking woman sitting next to me who on boarding in Paris took 2 sleeping pills and had 3 stiff bourban and cokes. About 45 mins later laughing and giggling and using her eyebrows to lift her eyemask up and down her face and play peek-a-boo with me - fortunately is was my wife....

cheers
t.

Superfly

Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:26 am

Mutual conversations between two people that are LOUD get on my nerves.
I can recall coming home from New York (JFK-SFO) on a UA 767, these two LOUD MOUTHS from New York just kept talking throughout the entire flight!
As if the LOUD New York accent isn't annoying as it is. I don't care about your company’s business plans, wineries you wan to visit or what you’re going to do at Fisherman’s Wharf and other lame tourist attractions.

I did have a conversation with a hot chick on a CO flight (ORD-LAX). I liked that one though. She talked loud and I continued to talk in a low tone. She didn't get the hint. I did end up showing her the finer parts of L.A. (my place) a day later, so the small inconvenience to the other passengers paid off, for me at least.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

electraBob

Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:30 am

If you are on a flight going to Las Vegas, and the lady sitting next to you tells you that this is her first visit to Vegas, do not - I repeat do not - admit that you have been there many times. I made this mistake two yrs ago. What is the world record for questions asked in one hour? Well, this lady set it. And she had some dandies: "Is it really hot there"? (it was August) and "do people really loose alot of money there" and the all time winner "have you ever won"?
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

IFLYMCO

Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:45 am

On my way from LHR-IAD on a United 777 we were seated in the middle section directly in front of 3 small Dutch children and their parents.(I remember they were Dutch becuase I know people from Holland and they are all impeccably mannered so this was quite a shock...) First off the held up the plane (at least I believe they did at least as they boarded dead last about 20 minutes after the other stragglers) Then throughout the flight they used my seatback as their own personal entertainment. I don't believe in scolding other peoples children so I didnt say anything. Meanwhile the parents say nothing despite numerous complaints from the businessmen sitting next to me... After 8 hrs of kicking, punching and carrying on I've never been so happy to actually LEAVE a plane. Big grin

Have a great day!  Smile
Now it should be "IFLYDCA"

meechy36

Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:08 am

I am a flight attendant and whenever I am scheduled to deadhead I wear street clothes, whenever I do it in uniform the person next to me feels that they have to tell me every bad experience they have had while flying. I usually wait for a break in the conversation and snap on the Ipod as fast as I can. I am one of those people that can sleep on a plane from takeoff to landing and very rarely eat or drink anything except for H2O that I bring on board. My perfect flight is a window seat with a pillow and blanket and no conversation.

Mike-BOS

che

Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:28 am

Yeah once on an American Eagle ATR. This guy would not shut up about the cost of living in different cities and stuff like that. I was also 13 at time.

che

JAFA

Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:52 am

Some people keep talking despite the headphones on your head and the book in your hand.

If those don't work, its time for the heavy artillery. Grab your stomach and say, "I don't feel so good" youre gauranteed an aisle seat. If they keep talking some low moaning noises might help them shut up. You can also leave your seat and chat with the crew if they aren't busy. Or spend time performing solid excrement, and sanitary napkin absorbency tests in the lavatory. (lol)

CanadianNorth

Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:21 am

I once was going YLW-YVR on the Dash-8, in the window seat there and this guy in a nice suit there sat next to me and started talking about why he was in Kelowna, at first it was ineresting so i listened to his story. After that he continuted to talk about his job and success and all that... After about 20-30 minutes he was getting to be incredibly boring beyond belief, i just banged my head on the wall and rolled my eyes and tried to sleep the rest of the flt... he kept on talking, i tried ignoring it, he just kept on going, tried to read through it, nop, was bored to the point i was ready to pull the old poor the gas all over me and light the match trick the hole damn flt... incredibly boring/annoying.

Luckly thats about the only time that happened, ussually i can just pull out a brochure and read it or sleep or something and they will either get tired of talking, realize that im not listening or run outa things to talk about, and mind their own business for a while. Which is nice when the finally do, because then i can continue to read the brochures on the area im about to see or read some aviation junk or something, just something worth doing.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

txagkuwait

Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:10 am

Gee, if airlines didn't assign seats, and you didn't like your seat companion talking all the time, you could just move.

But on a more somber note I have to take exception with the folks who would tell people "shut the f up" or words to that effect. There has never been nor will there ever be a replacement for common courtesy.

If someone is too talkative, or discussing topics that annoy you.....would it not just be easier to say, "I'm sorry, but I have had a rough day/week/meeting and I am not in much of a talkative mood right now."

Politely declining the offer of conversation is usually a much kinder approach to the situation.

Of course, so is being in Boarding Group "A" and picking a seat near someone who doesn't appear the type to annoy you.

jetjack74

Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:45 am

I have this problem with people hanging around the galley's. And now sinnce the our curtans have been taken from us, they feel the need to talk my ear while i'm trying to eat. That's when I start passing my wind, and they disappear. It's incredible. I can fart on command. The others love it. It's mainly to India this happens. Then, to make sure they stay seated, I go crop-dusting in the aisle. My gas is disgusting. Call me Mr Fartowski.
Made from jets!

Type-Rated

Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:04 pm

A long time ago on a RC flight I had a teenage boy sit next to me who had an intense interest in aviation. He started out by telling me everything that was going on with the aircraft. Unfortunately, he got most of it wrong.
Here is a sample:

Do you like flying on the 727?

"Uh, we are on a DC-9-51".

Nah, a 727 has two engines, that's why it's a 727

Did you know that we takeoff at 500 mph?

I think that's the cruising speed ...

Nah, my Uncle is a Captain for Northwest and he said these things fly at 500 mph.

See what I mean.... plus he called out all the altitudes along the way, I think the whole cabin heard him.....

I didn't "dare" tell him I am an ATP....

Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

wgw2707

Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:01 pm

I do enjoy a good conversation on board an aircraft-I have had several. I can understand however that there could be some circumstances where the passenger sitting next to you was truly annoying. This has not happened to me. I have had some of the best conversations of my life on board aircraft. Among the more outlandish, a conversation with a limousine and hearse dealer on Southwest in 1997 was rather bizarre, but thoroughly entertaining. I've also had great conversations with lots of other passengers.

However, I can recognize the reasons for disgust mentioned by you up above. The absolute worst PAX I've had sitting next to me were a HUGE, UNCIVILIZED FAT WOMAN who rather resembled a pig, and an arrogant city planner from Florida who drank throughout my EWR-CDG flight in 2000. "Could I have another red wine?" he kept asking until finally the F/As flat out refused. By then he was mildly inebriated.

-WGW

jhooper

Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:37 pm

What really annoys me are when people are talking LOUD, but not to me. Sometimes if they're sitting right behind me, I'll give them a evil glare to clue them in, especially if they have an annoying giggle the whole time. God I just can't stand it, especially at 7:00am! Aren't I a jerk?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

PER744

Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:47 pm

It's worth noting there is one flaw in the 'headphones' plan, which is the time when the use of electronic devices are prohibited. One of my flights last month was ORD-IND, next to a rather large woman. The queue at ORD for takeoff was fairly long, so we had to wait quite a while. I'd finished my book on my previous flight and wasn't able to listen to my discman.

The woman next to me was a talker. One of her first questions was to ask me if I was a student. I told her that I'd quit uni after my first year. She told me how her son did the same, and how disappointed she was in him, and what a terrible choice he'd made. I knew I was in for a fun flight after that.

TNboy

Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:02 pm

Sometimes - quite often - people talk because they are nervous. It doesnt hurt to indulge them for a while - and they are usually not hard to pick. The trick is to tell the difference between nervous people and card-carrying talkers. The solution is not to talk back too much. A polite one or two word response before looking at the inflight magazine, or putting on headphones usually does the trick. Or, it you dont want to play games, simply say, "Nice meeting you, I'm going to try and rest for the remainder of the flight, I have some things I want to think about. Hope you enjoy the flight" - and if they persisit, just give brief one-word answers. They get the message. With nervous flyers, a few reassuring words, followed by "Do what I do, just relax, listen to some music or watch the movie.", and then put on headphones, or read or close your eyes or whatever.

If all else fails, just say "Sorry, but I really am trying to rest". It's not hard to be polite but firm. Remember, you do own your own space.

Or if you are actually human, enjoy meeting another one!

Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

kilavoud

Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:14 pm

TNboy
Very pleasant to read your understanding of human needs, and your logical way to approach people being in distress. It is nice, especially when flying not to be rough with people who maybe have a rough time. Who knows ?
Best regards. Kilavoud.

UPSfueler

Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:46 am

Also on a NW flight back in May, we were flying JAX-DTW,then we were to connect in DTW and continue on to MKE. Well we were on a DC-9-51 and we were seated on the left side of the aircraft were its only 2 seats. Well directly behind us we had 2 brats that kept kicking and punching our seats and talking loud. They also felt the need to lean over the seats and look at our pics on the digital camera when we were going through them. Of course they were flying alone so they had no supervision.

SRD737NG

Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:10 am

The worst is when you are in a middle seat, god for bid, and the people on either side of you are having a stupid, uneducated conversation across your face for 4 hours. Especially when they make cracks about aviation knowing absolutely NOTHING about what they're talking about. Drives me insane, if I wasn't a jumpseater, I would have dragged them both into the lav and flushed them down the toilet Smile

kilavoud

Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:33 am