sq_pilot

'Marshals' On Singapore Planes

Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:40 am

'Marshals' on Singapore planes

Reports from Singapore say that undercover armed guards are being deployed on certain Singapore Airlines flights considered to be at high risk of terrorist attack.

The Straits Times newspaper said it understood that the air marshals, who are equipped with stun guns and special bullets that fragment on impact to avoid puncturing the aircraft's fuselage, have been travelling on some flights since mid-August.

Singapore Airlines said it would not discuss the issue publicly because of security concerns.

A spokeswoman for the Singapore Government told the BBC that the introduction of air marshals was part of an on-going process to enhance current security measures, though she would not confirm the newspaper reports.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3155090.stm

Ex_SQer

RE: 'Marshals' On Singapore Planes

Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:26 am

I see you are an SQ 744 pilot. I'm interested to know what the crew were told about these marshals... if anything.

Ryanair!!!

Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:08 pm

Due to security reasons, I would assume only certain members if the crew would be told about the marshals.
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

qwerty

Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:21 pm

The Straits Times newspaper said it understood that the air marshals, who are equipped with stun guns and special bullets that fragment on impact to avoid puncturing the aircraft's fuselage, have been travelling on some flights since mid-August.

I think Boeing once said that quite a few bullet holes in a fuselage was not a problem.

In the U.S., I think Air Marshals are traveling with regular ammo. Any bullet that fragments on impact with a fuselage would seemingly do the same with flesh contact, so what's the point.

rupertvander82

Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:47 am

Eh... I think flesh is not as hard as fuselage. And I think there is a reason for bullets that fragments. Governments are not so stupid to have bullets that are of no use.

I wonder if these air marshals will be paid by SQ or the Singapore government.