ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Military Practices For Shooting Down Airliners

Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:53 am

Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

jhooper

RE: Military Practices For Shooting Down Airliners

Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:50 pm

The new procedures are so strong, Eberhart said, that commanders worry more about missing a chance to prevent an attack with a hijacked plane than they do about mistakenly downing a peaceful jet.

Not to worry...
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

elwood64151

Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:31 pm

Having been in Air Force ROTC and meeting a lot of the people who are going to be those flight crews, I can tell you none of them would look forward to shooting down a civilian airliner.

However, I know that, were they ordered to do so, they have confidence that such an order would only be given in the most extreme circumstances. The Hollywood protrayal of trigger-happy generals wanting to vaporize the Soviet Union and kill everything in sight is just that: A Hollywood stereotype.

The only "bomb-happy" general I can think of in Air Force history is Curtis LeMay, who never dropped a bomb he wasn't ordered to drop. And it is largely thanks to him that the Air Force is such a professional organization with so many fail-safes against "Accidental Weapons Release".

I'm also glad that they're training for this several times a week. Before, Air Force pilots only got to train a couple times a month, seriously reducing their overall effectiveness. If they're flying several times a week; Hell, even once a week, they're going to be that much better, and better prepared for any situation.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:24 am

I do think however, that it's a good idea to have others besides the President authorized to call a shootdown.

Macabre overall though  Sad
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

ILoveORD

Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:41 am

-"G*ddammit Mustang, this Ghostryder 117, this [747's] all over me, he's got missile lock on me [sic], do I have permission to fire?!?!"

-"Do not fire until fired upon!"

-"Maverick get down here and get this [74] off me!"

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Don Boyd

Backhanding the left into submission, one activist judge at a time.

Bobs89irocz

Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:13 am

LOL.......Just bring it back hard right to help me ingage.......Im on my way.