B747-437B
Topic Author

MAS To Increase India Flights, Add New Destination

Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:31 am

MAS has recently been granted permission by the Indian government to increase services to India to 26 weekly frequencies, an increase of 9 weekly frequencies over their current operations.

The new schedule, which comes into operation from October 25, will see an increase in flights to Mumbai (BOM) from 4x weekly to 6x weekly (ex Mo) with Boeing 777s , to Bangalore (BLR) from 2x weekly to 3x weekly (Tu/Fr/Su) with Airbus 330s and to Hyderabad (HYD) from 1x weekly to 3x weekly (Mo/We/Fr) with Airbus 330s.

The airline has also received permission to inaugurate service to Kolkota (CCU) with 4x weekly Airbus 330 flights. No timeframe has been specified to inaugurate this service, although an agreement has been signed with Air India to provide ground handling at that station.

Kolkota will be Malaysian Airline Systems' sixth gateway in India. The airline also operates to Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Airbus Lover

RE: MAS To Increase India Flights, Add New Destina

Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:59 am

This is great news!

Any idea about the upgrade of equipment on the Chennai route? i last heard that they might be putting a B744 on the route on some days.

odie

RE: MAS To Increase India Flights, Add New Destination

Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:29 am

The new schedules have already been loaded into some CRS, but not MH's CRS. It might be a little late for MH to load them into the CRS in time for October 2003. Maybe they will launch these flights in December/January?

AL: The winter MAA flights will be operated 2 times weekly B772 and 5 times weekly A333. I think the upgrade of aircraft to B744 is part of this agreement. Also, they are rescheduling their MAA flights from night to morning daily flights.

Airbus Lover

Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:40 am

Their B777s have a slightly lower capacity but offers better product. With them operating onto this route shows that it is profitable I suppose. They are also operating B777s to ICN this winter I believe.

I really think they should have included the A333s to be refurbished to feature the current B777 interior and used on regional routes and thus not "abusing" the B777 on medium hauls. The A333 is better suited for medium haul routes i believe and while the B777 can be focused on long hauls.

odie

Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:56 am

AL: They are flying the A332s to ICN this winter. MH's A332s schedule:

Seoul - 7 times weekly (long layover in KUL)
Osaka - 5 times weekly (long layover in KUL)
Brisbane - 3 times weekly
Dhaka - Once weekly

There should be room for more A332 flights.

Airbus Lover

Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:04 am

I agree that the A332s have a rather low utilisation rate. I forgot when, but I think in Dec, one of the flights are being operated by B772s according to MH's website when I was looking for flights to return to N. America in Dec/Jan connecting KE's service at ICN.

odie

Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:12 am

AL: If you are flying in Dec., more likely than not you are going to be in a B744. MH usually upgrade their aircraft to B744 in December/January. They might even introduce morning flights to ICN as well.

Airbus Lover

Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:21 am

Yah I remember how last year they upgraded to a B744 in Dec!  Nuts

I will be flying KE but of course on KUL-ICN I will take th c/s flight opb MAS  Big grin

I am not sure if I will fly KE yet... If not it wld be BR (from PEN n/s for their MD90 or via KUL for the B762 and possible A332  Laugh out loud ), JL or NH. I'd want to fly on NH via SFO/LAX but none of these airlines I mentiond published fares for January except BR!  Sad

behramjee

Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:13 pm

They are too very keen on starting Lahore flights and then extending it to Abu Dhabi 3 times a week with A 333s. Whats the latest on that? Otherwise this is great news for the Indian travel market...this will give them an equal footing with SQ-CX & TG in India for AUst-US and Far East bound pax. Their product is anyday better than TGs and comparable/competitive to SQ and CX in J & F classes on 744s and 772ERs.

Whats the latest on their DEL flights...no increase there? Whats their current DEL schedule like?

Vimanav

Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:10 pm

MH operates 1/3/5/7 KUL-DEL-KUL with A333. I have only flown them on routes ex India and I can tell you, the service is nothing to write home about. F/As were curt, food was so-so and at least on this sector no inseat videos. They have a fabulous hub at KL though.

For a rather late entrant MH has done better than TG and CX. One must of course acknowledge the very well planned and synchronized advertising campaign that MH conducts in India together with the Malaysia Tourism Board. Their Tourism Minister, Dato Haji Abdul Kadir Fazdir is a regular to the tourism do's in India - and a darling of the Indian Travel Agent community.

Only EK rivals MH in marketing promotions in India.

rgds//Vimanav
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

odie

Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:33 am

Behramjee: There won't be any increment of flights to Delhi in the short term. AI is increasing its services into KUL from 2 weekly to 6 weekly soon. Maybe this will call for another round of air talks.

behramjee

Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:49 am

Malaysia is cheaper than SIN and HKG for Indian tourists so thats a huge advantage for them. Plus MAS is like a 3-5 hr flight from India depending on where you're originating from.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos