SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Explain Our Ignorance Re "Big Six"

Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:58 am

Most of the americans on this board, including myself, consider the so-called "Big Six" to be American, United, Delta, Northwest, Continental, and US Airways (in order of marketshare), however, US Airways touts itself as the nation's 7th-largest carrier. Who is number six in there that we are forgetting? Southwest? America West? Alaska? JetBlue? American Eagle? Am I missing something here?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

yyz717

RE: Explain Our Ignorance Re "Big Six"

Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:05 am

Southwest has moved into the top 6 with respect to revenue, indeed Southwest is the LARGEST US carrier wrt market capitalization. However, Southwest is not considered one of the traditional big-6. AA/UA/DL/NW/CO/US are all full service carriers with commuter partners and alliance/codeshare partners while Southwest is a stand-alone LCC. Hence, since the traditional big-6 have so much in common with each other (and not with Southwest), Southwest is not included in this so-called group.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

n844aa

Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:07 am

WN has nearly 100 more aircraft than US, so perhaps that's what they're going by. My guess would be that the term "Big 6" is a vestige of the era of mainline carrier dominance.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune

n844aa

Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:09 am

Also, with respect to market capitalization, I saw a chart today that indicated that WN has a larger market cap than the Big Six combined. It also said that if you had invested $1,000 into WN at their IPO, you'd have $1.4 million today.

Simply amazing.
New airplanes, new employees, low fares, all touchy-feely ... all of them are losers. -Gordon Bethune