LFutia

Drug Smuggling Dogs Discovered At Schiphol

Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:14 am

October 6, 2003
Two dogs used to smuggle cocaine fell ill when the packages of drugs inside their stomachs burst during a flight from Columbia, Dutch police said on Sunday.

Police at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport said the labradors each had two kg (4.4 pounds) of cocaine surgically attached in their stomachs. During a stop-over at Schiphol on the way to Britain, the labradors were brought to a veterinarian.

"The veterinarian initially gave them medication but they only got worse. Then surgery was performed and the drugs were discovered," a police spokesman said.

He said an investigation by Dutch and British authorities resulted in the arrest of seven people in Britain last week.

British police confirmed they had arrested seven for drug smuggling, but declined comment on whether dogs were involved.

Two men and one woman from Britain were charged with an attempt to import cocaine, while the remaining suspects were bailed pending further enquiries.

The Schiphol police spokesman said to his knowledge it was the first time Dutch airport police had seen animals used to smuggle drugs.

(Reuters)

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

luv2fly

RE: Drug Smuggling Dogs Discovered At Schiphol

Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:25 am

As a dog lover that is just sick! They should give the names of the guilty to PETA = People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, now those people are scary...
You can cut the irony with a knife

gigneil

Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:27 am

People are horrible.

N

jwenting

Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:04 am

as with humans the first discovery has thus been made by accident.
As sick as it is, it could have been expected as the scanning of humans travelling from drugs producing regions is being ammended with X-ray machines to detect drugs inside the body.

IMO the required penalty for drugs trafficking should be forced ingestion of the entire load in a single dose by the person carrying it (or in this case the person the dogs were sent to).
I wish I were flying

ILoveORD

Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:11 am

So what happened to the dogs? The post only says that they underwent surgery; did they survive?
Backhanding the left into submission, one activist judge at a time.

tjwgrr

Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:20 am

I'd hate to think what they would have done to the dogs had they made it past the authorities. I don't think they would have surgically removed the coke, patched up the dogs, and nursed them back to health. They'd probably be butchered and left to die.

My wife and I rescued a lab/ shepherd mix from an abusive near starvation situation and I cringe every time I think how my buddy was treated when he was a puppy. These people need to experience a little pain and suffering for inflicting pain and suffering on defenseless animals! S.O.B.'s!!
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

LJ

Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:51 am

So what happened to the dogs? The post only says that they underwent surgery; did they survive?

One of the dogs died as a result of the drugs. No news about the second dog