pilottim747

Reliability Of Mesaba's SF3s And ARJs

Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:29 am

When I was out at GFK today I noticed that the Mesaba Saab 340 that was supposed to leave to MSP was delayed because of mechanical problems. I realized that out of all the Mesaba flights I've taken (a lot SF3s but some ARJs) I've never been delayed because of mechanical problems. I was just wondering if these planes (especially the Saab 340s) are real reliable or have I just been lucky?

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

ssides

RE: Reliability Of Mesaba's SF3s And ARJs

Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:51 am

I have experienced several delays with AAEagle's Saabs, but nothing out of the ordianary. Flying DFW to ABI, the most common delayed plane seems to be the ERJ. Part of that is because the ERJs are maintained at ABI, so some of the planes may be needing some work, but I have been very frustrated at how many times the ERJs have mechanical issues. Makes me sometimes actually wish for a Saab.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Boeing757/767

Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:19 pm

I've had about six Mesaba ARJ round-trips the last three months. Not one mechanical.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

RJNUT

Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:45 pm

Originating flights from maintenance bases are always a nightmare..TWA's early am flights out of MCI were not always dependable as the aircraft came out of the hangars, not always on schedule..also once you land at a base, you can no longer defer MEL's like you can out of any other station.
CIties that try to pursuade airlines to open bases at their airports should understand what that could do to the service that airline provides at that city. (that's written in the fine print).

pilottim747

Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:03 am

Any XJ staff out there that can help me on this one? Just looking for some more observations.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

CO2BGR

Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:19 am

While I havent flown on Mesabas Saabs, I flew on AA eagle and business express Saabs many times before and have had very few delays. Most of these flights were in and out of BGR (Bangor, ME) which is a maintenance base for AA eagle. The RJs that come in now seem to have more problems especially the ACjet 328jets. If I dont drive to PWM (Portland, ME) to get a CO flight, I do everything to avoid the 328jets, and fly the eagle ERJs. I would take a flight in a Saab any day over the RJs we get now. They were dependable and reliable, and I miss them.

CO2BGR
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos