contrails

Fog This Morning At DCA

Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:29 am

DCA had very dense fog this morning, causing at least some delays. I passed by the airport around 0720, and it was getting close to zero visibility.

Before I got on the parkway I saw a 737, airline unknown, climbing out to the northwest. I saw a prop job shortly afterward, but I think those must have been the last ones to depart until after 0900.

Anyone know how many flights were delayed, and how many made it out after 0720? Does DCA have the same equipment as ORD and other airports, that allow landings and takeoffs in very low visibility?

Thanks.
Flying Colors Forever!

N766UA

RE: Fog This Morning At DCA

Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:51 am

Does DCA have the same equipment as ORD and other airports, that allow landings and takeoffs in very low visibility

ILS, yes of course.
This Website Censors Me

contrails

RE: Fog This Morning At DCA

Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:51 am

Thanks, N766UA, but I was referring to the latest hi-tech stuff that allows pilots to see the runways via a heads-up-display.

I flew into ORD once with fog so thick I could hardly see the tips of the wings from the window. The type of equipment allows that to happen is what I was referring to. I think it's call "Stage II", or something similar. I'm not at all sure that they have it at DCA, otherwise there shouldn't have been very many delays this morning.
Flying Colors Forever!