Bruce
Topic Author

Space Shuttle & Planes

Fri Dec 31, 1999 1:22 pm

Does NASA's space shuttle have a callsign? Does it even have a reg. #?

Also, when the shuttle is descending through the atmosphere to land, the crew is talking with Houston, not JSC landing site. So how do they keep out of the way of commercial aircraft flight paths? The shuttle is not powered so they can't just "turn right to 110" or something like that to avoid other planes. And, the shuttle is travelling more than the speed of sound until shortly before landing so there isn't much time!!!!

I've always wondered because they can't really pre-plan the shuttle's descent path because it is based on wherever the last orbit takes it.
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

DeltaAir

RE: Space Shuttle & Planes

Fri Dec 31, 1999 1:35 pm

It lands at the Kennedy Space Center unless weather or other things prohibit it from doing so, then it is redirected to California and then flown home on the 747. The Kennedy Space Center has a certain alloted amount of airspace that must remain clear at all times, therefore I would assume that is how it doesn't hit an airplane in mid-air.

Dazed767

Fri Dec 31, 1999 2:30 pm

I know on lift-off's there is a certain mile radius that is kept clear (aircraft and ships at sea), I'm sure it's the same for landing too. And no it's doesn't have a REG # that I know of.

Bruce
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 1999 7:04 pm

I know there's a certain cleared airspace but what about further out....like over the central U.S. or southern U.S.?
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens