funflyer

Will Anyone Challenge USAir In The Caribbean

Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:30 pm

It seems that USAir dominates the Caribbean Market do you think that anyone will challenge them?
Who cares about status?

HlywdCatft

RE: Will Anyone Challenge USAir In The Caribbean

Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:47 pm

Isn't AA pretty dominant in the Caribbean? I thought they had a small hub in San Juan and I know they fly to SXM, Haiti, Montego Bay and Dominican Republic from JFK and MIA

CLEspotter

Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:53 pm

I thought it would be the other way around...Usair challenging USairways

Pe@rson

Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:55 pm

I always thought American Eagle had a relatively large hub in San Juan, which served numerous comparatively close-by destinations using the ATR-42 and ATR-72.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

AIR757200

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:08 pm

I think its US Airways challenging (if that) AA/AE.

gr8slvrflt

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:16 pm

I think AirTran has some pretty big plans for the Caribbean.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

FlyPNS1

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:28 pm

I think Airtran and JetBlue will likely wreck USAirways "run and hide in the high-yield Caribbean" plan. I also expect to see more expansion by both DL and CO in that region....by 2008 the Caribbean will no longer be the land of high fares.

AA767400

Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:54 am

AA is the largest airline in this region. US Has a much smaller operation
in the Caribbean then AA.
"The low fares airline."

usairways85

Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:31 am

It's AA/AE dominating the Caribbean and US trying to catch up. US will continue to add destinations from several mainland cities besides their hubs. I would think US will be #2 in the caribbean for many years to come.

jmhLUV2fly

Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:33 am

Give AirTran sometime, once we get some of those bigger 37's on board, AirTran will certainly be flying to a
Carribean Island near you...more news to follow in a year or three.
JMH

ConcordeBoy

Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:40 am

I firmly believe that it's only a matter of time before some LoCo goes on an expansion blitz to the Carribean, not only from Florida, but from many secondary and tertiary cities throughout the South and East as well.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

GoAibusGo

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:23 am

Nice to see US Airways trying in the Caribbean, but I don't see them dominating over American and AA Eagle soon though.

American is huge in the Caribbean. Remember, they have a hub in MIA, so their will be a lot of ethnic travel from this city to various points in the Caribbean ( Haiti, Domincan Rep., San Juan, Aruba, Jamaica etc.)

worldtraveler

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:29 am

AA has a long and commanding presence in Latin America and the Caribbean. I am certain that AA will aggressively deal with US just as soon as it is financially capable of doing so. Remember what AA did about TW's incursion into the Caribbean?

jmhLUV2fly

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:39 am

AA will likely however have difficulty dealing with FL as well, just like AirTran effectively competes with DL in and out ATL, AirTran has a lower operating cost and will get the bigger carriers where it hurts, in the pocket.
JMH

B4REAL

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:47 am

AA does better in the Caribbean than US if you count seats and aircraft, but for US's size, it does well in its own right in the region.

AA's MIA and SJU hubs along with market-driven routes to SJU and MIA offer a strong presence, especially with the flexibility of an American Eagle base at SJU (a lot of it prop - but some of these places don't have the demand for more seats). However, US does good in the East Coast - and taking the East Coasters to the Caribbean.

This is good competition, IMHO.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

AA767400

Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:53 am

jmhLUV2fly

I would love to see FL deal with all the HUGE boxes and bags on
their 717 and 73G. Remember that AA has the big bus to the Caribbean,
and it carries a LOT of passengers and cargo, that the smaller planes can't
deal with.
"The low fares airline."

jmhLUV2fly

AA767400

Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:43 am

Believe me sir,
AirTran carries its share of baggage; working in PNS as a FL customer service/Ramp crewmember, Pensacola gets tons of military flights with seabags and duffle bags out the rear end, sometime as many as 100 seabags and duffle bags, we get these flights on average three or so times a week sometimes twice a day...our 717s can carry its share of baggage, and the new birds we plan to acquire 737-700 and 737-800's those airplanes can carry sufficient cargo
Besides, the passenger could care less weather our bin is narrow body airplane bin our a A300 bin...many travelers look for an affordable getaway package to the islands without the steep fares of major carriers.
So in time, AirTran will likely make its move, and pounce on the carribean market, prevailing, despite the size of AirTrans' cargo bins.
JMH

AA767400

Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:02 am

We shall see if FL can cause a stir in the Caribbean, And we are not talking about duffle bags. Pensacola is a far cry from Caribbean, and remember that AA will, and can offer the same fares FL will spit out. And in the long run
people will go for what they know, and they know AA and the big bus. Plus
we are talking about belly cargo, which I know a 73G can't offer the same
capacity.
"The low fares airline."

jmhLUV2fly

Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:13 am

Yes, but will American make a profit on those lower fares that AirTran spits out? AirTran will because our cost structure is alot less and American will likely not make a profit, Just ask the Delta boys how they like AirTran, we, a little "unknown" airline definitly cause them alot of problems in and out of Atlanta taking bunches of anual revenue from Delta's pocket and as Joe Leonard, our CEO states there is really not much they can do about it.
And as for American, we are headed towards Dallas, Americans true stomping grounds, just wait till you see what we can do, a little unknown carrier.
We are a force to recon with for certain.
JMH

MAH4546

Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:19 am

(a lot of it prop - but some of these places don't have the demand for more seats

It has little to do with demand and more to do with the economic's of AA's ATR fleet. AA's ATR can hold between 42 and 64 people, more than many RJs. They can, however, do two things RJs can't:

1) Takeoff from short runways, which are bountiful in the Caribbean.
2) Offer excellent cargo capacity, especially for such a small aircraft.

Plus, in a leisure market, there is no distinct advantage to have "all jet" service.
a.

Midway2AirTran

Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:53 am

It seems to be pretty much certain that we (AirTran) will be adding many flights to the Carribean; at least that is what the guys in charge are indicating to us and the press. I think it will bring some great opportunities for the LCC's and to those passengers who fly or want to fly to those markets. Maybe B6 will follow suit too?

AA767400..I guess you haven't really seen what baggage comes out of FL flights on a regular basis. There will be a lot of money to be made on excess baggage and the B737NG and B717 are perfectly capable. We have one of, if not the most liberal baggage policies for amount/weight of baggage to be checked in the industry. Our passengers know that well and take full advantage of it! You'll be amazed at the size/weight of baggage we handle everyday system-wide. I bet it tops the industry. To add to all that, we do not run US mail or cargo anymore!
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."