levg79

Fighter Planes Over NYC

Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:35 am

About 10 minutes ago, I saw 2 that looked like fighter planes above mid-town Manhattan. They were flying south within feet of each other, looked like they were going to touch each other if one of the pilots blinked for a moment. The engine noise was also very loud, almost like a Concorde's engines. Anybody knows what this was all about?
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

jcxp15

RE: Fighter Planes Over NYC

Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:30 am

Very cool... How high were they, and what types of planes were they? My guess is that they might have been 14's, as 14's have been sighted a lot in NYC (esp at LGA in the past few weeks)... If not, they might have just been part of a fighter squadron on some mission or something.

BTW - Fighters usually fly close to each other in formation, so I doubt it was anything unsafe...

Lt-AWACS

Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:48 am

Operation Noble Eagle missions continue to this day. We fly fighters, tankers, and AWACS all over for different types of missions. Nothing to out of the ordinary, other than possible the altitude.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

STT757

Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:21 am

F-14s are Navy, the closest Naval air station that hosts fighter aircraft is Oceana Virgina. The Navy is not in the business of protecting US Air Space, that belongs to the Air National Guard.

The NJ Air National Guard has F-16s in Atlantic City, the Massachusets ANG has F-15 out of the Hyannis area, and the Vermont ANG has F-16s. These are the groups that Im aware that have been participating in Operation Noble Eagle over the NYC area since 9-11.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

cancidas

Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:35 am

they must have been the two f-14s that came into LGA last night. they departed LGA at 1230 lcl today.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

jcxp15

Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:27 pm

STT757:

Yea but Navy has been bringing 14's into LGA from what I hear, so they might have been returning somewhere or something...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos