Pe@rson
Topic Author

MAN: What's It Like For Spotting?

Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:57 pm

Hi there,

I'm thinking of going to MAN tomorrow. I realise that it's a good airport at which to spot, but what is it like for spotting in or close to the terminals?

I have only been there once before (flew LHR-MAN-LHR) and remember going to the top of the car park or something. If I recall correctly, it was all right. Can anyone provide more accurate, helpful information?

Thanks,

James.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

MYT332

RE: MAN: What's It Like For Spotting?

Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:47 pm

Yep, you would have gone to 'car park level 13' as the lift up there says. This is the spectator terrace and is located on the T1 car park, level 13.
These are the shots you get from there:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Farrington

There is also the Aviation viewing park which brings you real close to the taxiways and runways. 'It is situated on the A538, between Junction 6 of the M56 motorway and the airport tunnels. Turn down Sunbank Lane, by The Romper public house, then right onto Wilmslow Old Road, and follow to the end.'

These are the type of shots from there:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernard Eccleston

and

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Higgins

Theres are the 2 easist to get to, although you could try the Airport Pub at the end of 24R, thats good. The best shots of the terminals are from the T1 car park.
Have a good 1!

[Edited 2003-10-11 13:49:28]
One Life, Live it.

Airbus_A340

Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:17 pm

One of the best airports for spotting 'spotter-friendly' wise. Been there twice on my travels within the last year, excellent place!

Airbus_A340
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

MAS777

Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:36 pm

heck if pictures like this can be taken at Manchester - I'd say the spotting was pretty good...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Steven Grace
View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Minter

Demoose

Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:48 pm

James, take a look at the ringway reports site here http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk/spottinguide.htm

and also The Aviation Society's site
http://www.tasmanchester.com/html/viewing_information.html

They have detailed information about how to get to the various spotting locations via various modes of transport. The southside of the airport is the place to go if you want to get close to the 2nd runway, however a car is pretty much essential. Viewing park is easy to get to either by car or Bus 19 from the airport and a then a 10 minute walk, or at weekends there is a direct bus to the viewing park from the Airport.

If runway 24R is in use The Airport pub is good if you want to see aircraft on final approach and also get very close to aircraft lining up for take off when single runway operations are in use between 1200 and 1500hrs. Get a nice pint too and sit in the beer garden if the weather is good!

Give us a shout if you need anymore info,

Mark

[Edited 2003-10-11 16:52:24]
Take a ride...fly across the sky

ACEregular

Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:42 am

When I last flew from MAN, in April, I checked in at 04:30, very early , but up on level 13 of the carpark at 05:00 there was still quite a bit to see. T2 activities mostly. The early morning PIA 747 arrival was very cool. Nothing quite like a crisp spring morning stood in the middle of a desolate cold damp, dark and wet carpark freezing your nuts off for the sake of aviation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos