John
Topic Author

Will DL Reinstate PVD-MCO Flights?

Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:05 pm

With the phaseout of the DL Express product, you'd have thought that those flights would have continued as mainline (at least temporarily), especially with the winter travel season fast approaching. Is SONG even being considered for the PVD market? Or is DL (or any other airline for that matter), content with the fact that WN is NOW the ONLY airline flying NON-STOP from PVD to MCO, TPA (and FLL on weekends)?

B4REAL

RE: Will DL Reinstate PVD-MCO Flights?

Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:12 pm

I am not sure. I know that CMH was a nice DLX market in the prime and those routes came and went as seasons and demand shifted.

The end result was year round DL Connection service on Chatauqua ERJ to MCO(4x), FLL(2x), RSW(2x), and TPA(3x). This is better for fliers b/c it is year round to four destinations. Towards the end of DLX in CMH, it became limited.

I looked @ the March schedules published now, and don't see any n/s service. But keep your eye open.

B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

MSYtristar

Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:12 pm

Honestly...I cannot see Song flying to PVD. Not with 757's anyway. Since they already serve BOS and BDL, they pretty much have Southern New England covered. 199-seat 757's offer too much capacity on most of those routes....namely MCO and TPA. I could "possibly" see a daily Song flight down to FLL, since WN has pretty much ignored this route, but that's about it. 4 daily Southwest 37's to MCO and 3 daily to TPA is adequate service for PVD.
I flew Southwest between PVD and MCO a few times, and it was either hit or miss in terms of the loads. I had flights that were full, and ones that only had like 30 peassengers on them.

Steve in MSY

DeltaGuy

Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:55 am

DL Express had offered alot of services that Song sure won't pick up. I guess that was the advantage to using the smaller 732 to get in and out of those markets. I doubt you'll see the 752's comin in there to MCO, as everything with DL at MCO has just shrunked and sucked.

PVD layovers sucked, btw  Big grin

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

John
Topic Author

Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:45 am

DeltaGuy, I'm assuming you're Delta crew. What was so bad about your PVD layovers? Hotel accomodations? I'll admit it's no fun place to be in the dead of winter. Have you had the opportunity to visit the city of Providence?

B4REAL

Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:49 am

Based on what was said, If WN is hit or miss, I would imagine that if DL does anything it would be with a regional aircraft.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

DeltaGuy

Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:55 am

John,

LOL, nothing too bad bout the place. Actually, my dad is crew, ex 732 with DL Express...I've accompanied him on more layovers than I can count, twice to PVD...and yes, 'twas a cold January day for that Florida crew. Layover was too short (and by lack of motivation from other crew lol), we didn't get to explore as much as we did on other layovers. (This is what I do on my summer breaks..fly with my dad for his entire 4 day rotation!)

Will have to give it another shot in the summer  Big grin (when my dad gets on the MD-88 or 757 into there)

DeltaGuy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

PVD757

Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:20 pm

I'm not very interested in DL bringing Song in to MCO. I would rather see Song go daily to FLL. It's the fourth largest for O&D traffic at PVD and the best the airlines can do will be a WN Sat only this winter. Everybody keeps saying that it would be a no brainer to fly the route but they evidently cannot find enough gumption to do it.

MAH4546

Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:20 pm

Providence is the single largest O&D market from Miami not served non-stop with over 700 passengers flying between the two cities per day. IMO, it is a definite no brainer. Though I say the first carrier to bite into the market will be American Airlines with MIA-PVD by the summer.
a.