Economy-BA

For me the worse:

First-AF
Business-KQ
Economy-NW

MD11Lover

RE: Inflight Catering, Best And Worse

Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:30 am

Lauda Air has great catering services which make it unique amongst many European airlines I have flown with Lauda many times from Vienna to GVA, and loved every moment. The CRJ is also a great regional aircraft.

Regards

wgw2707

Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:49 am

From my own experiences:

BA -probably the best I've had. Good main course, excellent desert, on a LAX-LHR flight.

AF -EWR-CDG, the food was good. They provided a really nice amenities kit also (this was in coach).

DL -The food generally is the same or similiar, I've noticed (this is of course changing on the domestic level when they phase in the new buyable meals). The meat dish is OK, but I advise extreme caution regarding the "Black Forest Desert Cup." It's rather vile...

CO -If I remember correctly, on LGW-IAH, it was so/so.

AS -Throughout much of my life I had heard Alaska's food was excellent. When I flew them in 1999, SMF-SEA, I was disappointed by the quality of it, as both flights (which were, btw, breakfest flights) only served a rather drab muffin/coffee cake item.

ATA -On SFO-HNL and back, it was rather disgusting. This was in 1993. The fact that we were on an L1011 made up for the inferior quality of the food.

That is, unfortunately, the limit of my memory...

-WGW2707

levg79

Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:48 am

I don't know if that could be considered the worst, but HP does not serve meals at all. All you get is a soda and a bag of peanuts.

The best I've experienced was on SK. I like the touch of a man in charge of cabin crew, wearing a nice suit, walking around with a bread basket. And that's in coach, I wonder how they do in another part of cabin.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:33 am

As far as airline catering is concerned, I've enjoyed first class meal service on America West, Continental, KLM, Northwest, TWA, and US Airways and coach class meal service on Air Canada, Alaska, America West, American, Continental, Delta, Northwest, TWA, United, and US Airways. I've also had mealtime snack service on Air Ontario, Air Canada Jazz, Continental Express, Horizon Air, Mesaba Airlines, and US Air Express as well as 'for-purchase' meal service on Air Canada.

In my opinion, The best first class catering would be a tie between Continental and US Airways. However, Alaska's transcontinental division stands alone as the best coach class catering in both quality and style of presentation.

Horizon Air has the most imaginative mealtime snack service, and Air Canada's Cara Catering division has a range of great for-purchase inflight products.

Again, this is simply personal opinion.

AeroAussie

Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:03 am

Flown Swiss twice this year, once MAN-BSL ret, and then ORD-ZRH-FCO-ZRH-EWR. The catering on each and every flight was fantastic. Bravo Swiss!

yow

Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:31 pm

Although I may be a little biased since I work for them, First Air has some of the best catering around. Whenever I've had it, it's always (with 1 exception where the food was average), been excellent. Even though we carry only 1/4 million pax a year, we get customers on an almost weekly basis, sending us mail, continually praising our quality of food.

Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:02 pm

Inflight Meals are now hit and miss.... However there are some very remarkable exceptions to the rule!

*** THE BEST ***
Continental Airlines - Business First
IAH to GRU/GRU to IAH/EWR to FCO/FCO to EWR/IAH to HNL to GUM/GUM to HNL to IAH

KLM - Economy Class
LAX to AMS/AMS to LAX/SFO to AMS/AMS to SFO/GRU to AMS/AMS to GRU
Within Europe... Within Asia i.e. BKK to TPE

Malaysia Airlines - Business Class
LAX to TPE to KUL/KUL to TPE to LAX

Philippine Airlines - First Class
LAX to MNL/MNL to LAX/SFO to HNL to MNL

Philippine Airlines - Business Class
MNL to HNL to SFO/MNL to HKG/HKG to MNL

Qantas - Economy Class
Within Australia/Australia to Italy via Bangkok/Australia to New York via LAX

and back in the day -

TWA - Trans World One
JFK to MXP/MXP to JFK/JFK to FCO/FCO to JFK/JFK to ATH/ATH to JFK

TWA - Ambassador Class
JFK to FCO/FCO to JFK/LAX to JFK/JFK to LAX

**** THE WORST *****
Alitalia - Economy Class

American Airlines - Economy Class
Anytime/Anywhere
** Meals in a bag... no..no...no...**

Delta Airlines - Economy Class
Anytime/Anywhere

One side note to all of this.. European and Asian Flag Airlines seem to be the most well prepared and flavorful. For some reason in the U.S. our inflight catering seems to be prepared with the least amount of care or flavor possible. I have never seen pasta, chicken, or lettuce presented so many different ways. And to whom ever started the meal in a bag... i.e. AA! Bad idea, Bad idea! Get creative.. thaw out the bread, and present it on a tray... presentation does wonders for the flying public!

Dionysus

Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:42 pm

Worst

Business: Thai
Thai shares economy main course with business. It is served on typical economy rectangular dish.

Economy: Northwest (international)
Extremely small portion and often look like dog food.

nethkt

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:20 pm

I agree with Dionysus.

Don't spend money on Business class international flights with Thai airways. It's not worth at all.

I flew Business class on SK from BKK-CPH. It was fantastic, the food, the amenity kit, the staff, beverages..just a dream came true!!

For Best economy class, I still find that Thai Airways' food is ok (as it is sometimes share with Biz food by a smaller size).

Worst Economy, all the American airlines also Air Canada. I don't like flying in domestic north America at all. It's like riding on a bus somewhere in Africa!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Let's just blame it on yields.

MX340LOV

Sat Oct 18, 2003 4:41 pm

Best: JL YVR-AA), Japan">NRT back in 1997
Second best: BA IAH-LGW; AF CDG-IAH; CO EWR-LGW

Worst: AA
Second worst: DL

manni

Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:53 am

The better meals I have had on Cathay Pacific and All Nippon Airlines, with Cathay Pacific's meal being just a little better, but nicer FA's on ANA.

The worst I've seen on Delta Airlines, food even a dog wouldn't eat and served by grumpy FA's.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

WindowSeat

Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:15 am

Within the US, my experience with Delta has been great. Excellent food, not so good FA's and service.

Internationally, Virgin serves up some decent grub, and lots of it. I love how they serve ice-cream on all flights originating in London.

One of my best though is Air France, the food is great, and they also personally offer bread rolls to every passenger, even in Economy. They carry a good selection, including delicious authentic cuisine from the country they fly to. It seems they genuinely want to serve you.

but that's just me.

cheers
I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

pouyazad

Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:33 am

Among airlines I have flown with, Iran Air had the best catering. You know serving alcohol is forbiden on Iran Air flights so they use their money to make better foods.

The worst ,I think was from Turkish Airlines.

Well, this is only my personal opinion.

COEWRNJ

Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:42 am

The best food I have had was on CO EWR-HNL.
UA's is OK. Nothing to rave about.

The worst..
LH- Got food poisoning. Had to go to the hospital upon arrival in EWR.
MX- They served some egg creation that smelled rancid. I just prodded it with my fork and I was done.

Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:56 am

Best

1. Air Canada First Class YYZ - YHZ. They had a wine cart for a domestic flight!
2. American Airlines First Class LGA - DFW. Nice beef dish and hot fudge Sundays
3. JetBlue. (So I'm biased, so what!  Smile) Blue potato chips, biscotti, Oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies, Munchies mix (Doritos, sunchips, pretzels and Cheetos) and snack packs on longer segments

Worst.

1. Northwest First Class JAX - DTW. Cardboard cleverly disguised as a bagel. The banana was still frozen and the cream cheese tasted metallic.
2. Delta First Class ROC - ATL. There breakfast kept me in the Lav for the rest of the flight.
3. Delta First Class ATL - ROC. I wouldn't have let my worst enemy eat this meal. The meals were spoiled so everyone got travel vouchers (except me, I was non revving) but at least the booze was acceptable

Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:12 am

NETHKT writes: "I don't like flying in domestic north America at all. It's like riding on a bus somewhere in Africa."

Besides being a bit harsh, you've completely lost me. I don't see the relationship of the remark to this thread. For instance:

--Do African busses have better or worse first or business class catering?
--Do African busses have better or worse first or business class chairs?
--Do African busses have better or worse first or business class service standards?
--Do African busses have anything comparable to North American airlines' first class or business class products on any level?

Can you explain this to me? I really want to know.  Innocent

nethkt

Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:31 am

African buses don't have First or business class. But you do get chance to stop and have food which is much better and much cheaper!

I said that because...the flight attendents in Dom flight US are rude while bus hostesses in Africa are much nicer.

Crampy seats in domestic US flight (though I am gold with SQ and I get Economy+ and stuff) = seats on buses in Africa

etc.

Perhaps..you are not a frequent flyer on long haul international flights with top airlines.  Big grin
Let's just blame it on yields.

Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:54 am

NETHKT

You are correct. Besides teaching, I work in academic testing and measurement, and that keeps me pretty much in the US and Canada.

But I can dream.  Wink/being sarcastic

vermeer

Sun Oct 19, 2003 8:06 am

I have to say that I love LH business class food, they really are trying hard ( and succeeding most of the times) with their catering.
AEvery two months a celebrity chef is in charge of a new menu and sometimes it is really excellent ( while sometimes it is just good).
Veriety, flavors and taste are super.

Generally food is much better ex Germany - apparently the level of catering is much better than from most of the stationd woldwide ( especially US based). I tend to agree.

First class on LH is a dream - send me anywhere close to a huge tin of sevruga caviar and I am a happy man-

Noticeable good serice on SK in C and SAA, always in C.

Aviationman

Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:22 pm

Andrew, on First Air, the food was "average" because it was bad or because "you" did not like it?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos