flyboy80

PDX Today!

Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:31 pm

Hey all, Just wanted to let you all know I went up to PDX today for some spotting! Had an absolute great time there! Saw the usual mix on US carriers (UA,AS,WN rule the scene) ANd discovered some interesting spotting places I didn't know where there. I decided to drive into the terminal to make "the Loop" anyways, I pulled off a few times to find parking areas where you can get very close to the fence and see aircraft sitting at FlightCraft or whatever, Also, I was able to get very close to the Skywest ramp and really get a GREAT view of the EMB 120 up close, too bad i didn't get there earlier to spot the CR7 that was sittin over there... Anyways, I've decided that my next trip to PDX in the morning on the way into the terminal (to check in for a flight), I am going to walk out after being dropped off and go down to the UA hardstands, I can just imagine how close I could get to those planes that early in the morning when they are there!, There is usually, what? Four UA planes on that hardstand? That would be SOOOOOOOOO TIGHT! ANyways, I was just thinking how awesome it would be ! I waited around all day roughly (until 3:30ish) and never saw the LHA340 land today! Whats with that! too bad! Anyways looking forward to soem comments from my fellow Oregon spotters. I wish there were still programs aviable that let highschool kids interact at airports with commercial airplanes... too bad, I believe, most of these programs were dropped after Sept 11th! They need to bring some back... I can just imagine going out there on the ramp... I've done it once before but I was so exited I forgot a lot about what happend... It was great though!

BlatantEcho

RE: PDX Today!

Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:48 pm

Brian,

I thought the Lufti A340 left around that time, 3:30 or so. I saw it depart a couple months ago, and it was amazing to see that thing wing it out of PDX.

The Civil Air Patrol @ EUG is kinda friendly, but I don't know if they can do in depth tours or not. One of my profs has a North American Harvard out in the hangers there, and he always invited me to take a look.

I should e-mail him, see if he or his friends could maybe give us a lift up to the tower or something. Considering we ARE the spotting community around here, that should be too much to ask now should it?

George
They're not handing trophies out today

cschleic

RE: PDX Today! - Lufthansa

Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:19 pm

The Lufthansa comments raise an interesting question. Through the end of daylight savings, arrivals have shifted to around 3:00pm, departure around 4:50pm. According to the LH website, after that service changes to 5 days per week - Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sunday. Does anyone know...is that just for the slower winter season or has there been an overall drop in bookings?

9V-SPF

Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:03 pm

Lufthansa´s FRA-PDX flight will operate daily again from April next year.

Daniel

cschleic

Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:26 am

Good to hear. Thanks.