rb211

Why Did DL Pull Out Of GIG

Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:13 am

I used to love to fly Delta's MD-11 from ATL to GIG, especially with the stop in Sao Paulo. I'm going back the second week in December and when I tried to use my Sky Miles, they told me they no longer fly there. What happened?
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

ConcordeBoy

RE: Why Did DL Pull Out Of GIG

Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:18 am

Might have something to do with not being able to make a profit in this primarily leisure market....  Wink/being sarcastic
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:24 am

Now since Delta Airlines is using a Boeing 767-300ER, why dont they fly the route again!

It makes no sense as to why the aircraft sits in Sao Paulo for nearly 14 hours and does nothing at all. Delta uses the MD-11, 777, and 767 to Orlando.. Which might I ad is also a leisure market!

To put the Delta Airlines 767-300 in Sao Paulo to use fly it to Rio de Janeiro.

It is a very quick 30 minute or so hop between the two! They dont even need to offer service. Continental flies the route with a very abreviated juice service!

If not Rio de Janeiro, why dont they extend the Sao Paulo service to-

Asuncion
Belo Horizonte
Brasilia
Buenos Aires
Montevideo
Santiago

If they used the continuation of the flight to Buenos Aires they could market Buenos Aires as having 2 daily flights!

Just a thought!

Boa Viagem!

KL777JFK

ConcordeBoy

Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:54 am

Delta uses the MD-11, 777, and 767 to Orlando

Which makes sense as the former two aircraft are often between int'l turnarounds, and would otherwise sit idle in ATL.

why dont they extend the Sao Paulo service

Could be a host of reasons:
  • crew hours
  • dormant rights/lack thereof
  • demand/lack thereof
  • cooperation with partners
  • airport costs
  • etc

Obviously, something among that nature of categories has caused them to prefer letting the aircraft sit in GRU
  • Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

jrlander

Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:58 am

The service to Rio was orginally an extension of the GRU flight. When I first went to Rio in August of 2001, 3 flights per week were non stop and the other 4 were one stop in Sao Paolo. The next year, Delta offered daily nonstops. However, later in 2002 they stopped service all together. I believe that the orginal service to Brazil was with a 767. When I flew nonstop to GIG in 2002, it was once again a 767.

When we went in 2002, Brazil's economy was suffering from the collapse of Argentina's economy. They felt they could continue to make the GRU flights work, but not the GIG flights. Hopefully, now that things in Argentina and Brazil are stabilized, Delta will restart flights. There was another thread which quoted an Argentinian newspaper about Delta returning to EZE. Hopefully a return to GIG will follow.

Of course, they could just decide to transfer passengers to the CO flight.