afay1

Lviv Airlines

Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:23 am

Has anyone here flown or had any experience with Lviv Airlines (Code 5V)? Their website is a bit light on information (http://avia.lviv.ua/), but I would like to fly to Lviv (Lvov in Russian) in western Ukraine to ski this winter and they are the only airline that flies direct from Moscow (Vnukovo). It would be on a 3 hour flight on an aging Antonov An24B turboprop. Any info would be great. Thanks!

afay1

RE: Lviv Airlines

Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:09 pm

I guess the answer is no.............

MD11Lover

Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:18 pm

Try contacting Ukraine International Airlines, they might have some info.

Ces

OD720

Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:04 pm

Try the http://aviatsiya.ru forums, it's all about aviation in Russia and CIS. There might be someone to answer your question.

Best regards.

ben

Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:05 pm

I guess the answer is no.............

You didn't exactly give us much time to respond!

Anyway, the answer is Yes.

I have been on 2 of their aircraft. An-24 UR-46305 from Warsaw to Lvov and UR-46383 from Lvov to Kiev Zhulyany.

The airline also operates Yak-42Ds, Il-76s and maybe a few odd others.

They are just the same as any of the "babyflots"... a regional division of the Soviet Aeroflot that became Air Ukraine when Ukraine got it's independence and then Air Ukraine was separated into the various 'home fleets'. One of them being Lvov Airlines.

Both aircraft were single class layout with a standard Russian style cabin. Nice big windows, but no window shades, just the usual white curtains. Seats were generally good. Enough leg room. No safety cards for me to have.

We got a full meal service (and a choice!) on both flights and full bar/drinks service. I can't remember exactly what the food was, but I have never had a problem with food on aircraft in the former USSR or Eastern Europe. It does tend to be 'regional' tho, so you normally get the local sausage as part of it somewhere. Of course the WAW-LWO flight was catered in Warsaw.

To tell you the truth, I don't know why people have hangups about the An-24. Sure the cabin didn't look 'brand new', the colours were very '70s.. but not overpowering. Light blues, light oranges etc.. The cabin feels quite bright compared to the Tu-154 for instance.

I think the An-24 is comparable to any other regional turboprop. No better, no worse. Have you been on an An-24 before?

As for the Airport, we have discussed it a few times on this forum so you can do a search. It's my all time favourite airport.. You walk to/from the terminal and your aircraft. More like a country mansion than an airport, very small and cosy, recently restored, well-kept gardens everywhere (including airside!).

Sorry I can't show you the pictures of the aircraft and airport. I don't have a scanner or place to host the photos.

I highly recommend you go to Ukraine, Lvov and fly with 5V. If you have any more questions, just ask.

Ben

p.s. Sorry to Slawko if I spell some things the wrong way ...

codeshare

Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:40 pm

I have a question.

Wasn't the airline supposed to fly to Warsaw from Lviv in the winter schedule? What happened to that?

How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

slawko

Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:21 pm

I also flew the Lviv-Warsaw route with this airline, and infact the aircraft that I was on was somewhat restored, with new carpet and curtins...like Ben said the service was rather good, and the flight was much more comfortable then the Lot ATR service from Warsaw-Lviv....
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

afay1

Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:10 am

Thanks for all the info! I feel much better about the whole prospect. I have never flown on an An-24 and have a friend who flew on an Aeroflot one with burlap bag seats and rope seatbelts, so not wanting to dismiss the prospect out of hand, I asked you guys. I have looked up the info on the terminal, etc., and am now excited about the trip. Thanks again!