NewSwissair
Topic Author

How Long Will Swiss Use Their MD-11?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:40 am

I saw that they will operate 2 MD-11 at least until September 2004 on the Brazil route. Will they be replaced by A340? I heard many statements about they won`t be replaced, but other people say they will use them for several years more.

VRG772

RE: How Long Will Swiss Use Their MD-11?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:26 am

Hi!

I'm not sure, but I think that Swiss will pull out of Brazil (again: I'M NOT SURE), so, if the MD-11 depends of the Brazil's routes, they are probably gone.

I've heard here in Brazil and also here in A.net Forum that Swiss will end their flights by next summer. If it happens, there will be no direct flights between Brazil and Switzerland, and I don't think that VARIG will get this route (GRU-ZRH) due to its awful economic situation. It would be great if Varig did it like until 1999 (I don't know exactly the right year that VARIG stopped serving Switzerland), and I think that the flights would be operated by MD-11.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stefan Gruenig
View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos A. Morillo Doria

Julio

Decolagem Autorizada.

s.p.a.s.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:35 am

I have heard the same rumours, but failled to ask a close friend who happens to be a F/O at Swiss MD11 and was here in Sao Paulo just a couple of days ago..

Estas em SP VRG772?

Abraço

RS
"ad astra per aspera"

VRG772

Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:06 am

S.p.a.s

não, moro em Londrina-PR  Smile

Meu Deus, agora que vi! Você é o Renato Salzinger que eu vejo no Jetsite! Prazer em conhecer!

Abraços
Julio.
Decolagem Autorizada.

swissbrazil

Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:05 am

Well, it is pretty much confirmed: MD11 are being replaced 1 by 1 with A343, and there will only be 2 MD11s left beginning next year for the South America rotation, and by the end of spring they will cease Operations to SA :-(

..so no more pictures like the one below!!!!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Fred Albrecht

On the other hand, VRG is looking into GRU-ZRH-NRT/NGO as an alternate to SA - California">LAX, for the well known (US-)reasons....

aquele abraço,
Fred