** T S A ** Do TheyHave Your Confidence?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:16 am

Do you feel safe that now the "TSA" is in force?

Or do you feel that it is just wondow dressing for a much larger problem?

- On a recent trip from LGA-DFW-SMF, myself and countless other passengers were amazed at how unprofessional, unkept, and unknowledgable the "TSA" screeners were...

Does anyone share the same feeling?

Have they won you vote of confidence??

Regards,

KL777JFK

Danny

RE: ** T S A ** Do TheyHave Your Confidence?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:19 am

Poorly paid jobs for poorly educated people. What would you expect?

CALMSP

Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:20 am

totally agree, why is it that airline employees seem to know more about security procedures than the actual screeners? Weren't these the creme of the crop who were tested and tested and re-tested again? Yes, but wait I forgot they were given the answers. And the funny thing is is that most the TSA employees now, were already screeners with Globe and Argenbright in the first place. The only difference now is that they get about 20 paid holidays a year being Gov't employees. You were right, they can be very unprofessional and unkowledgable, all who think they are the kings of aviation who are on power trips, I am extrememly disgusted with TSA and think we mine as well go back to the way it was, then we wont be paying these ridiculous security fees that are costing airlines millions and millions of dollars.

contrails

Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:56 am

I lost confidence a while back when TSA issued a statement saying that there is a greater chance of hijackings, then announced they were cutting back on air marshals. I also have some very real concerns about their ability to find weapons, such as box cutters, in carry on bags. My biggest concern is with cargo, which for the most part is not being checked at all.

I think we've got a long ways to go.

Flying Colors Forever!

goboeing

Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:07 am

I don't even take the TSA seriously. It's just one more way to rape the public of privacy and say that it's in the name of security. It's pathetic.

Nick

BCAInfoSys

Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:13 am

Are you kidding? The TSA is a joke, pure and simple. They couldn't find a gun if you waved it in their faces. Drrr... I'm a TSA screener.. drrr! Timmy!  Big grin
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

2912n

Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:21 am

Sadly this is what happens when you try to expand security overnight and staff it with low paid workers instead of security professionals. It may be cheaper in the short run, but over time you wind up with crap security, poor workers and a poor reputation.

Security decisions are being made by people with no background in policing or security and with politics and appearance taking priority over safety.

LImamura

Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:33 am

Having TSA at the airports is a waste of time and money. Half the time when I walk through those metal detectors they are not even looking at me or the top of the machine, which I guess tells them the level of metal objects I have on me.
TSA is so inconsistant, how could they be taken seriously?!
I mean, you could be carrying around a small pocket knife and maybe you have been fine going through 10 security check points, but then finally they catch it on the eleventh try. A couple months ago they took away a butane lighter that I had been carrying through security for all of 2002. What's with that.. I mean if 10 other TSA check points didn't have a problem with it why this one. That clearly showed me that they really don't follow the book, but rather they act on their own emotions or disgression. Possible if I went to the agent one row over then I would still have that lighter..

JBirdAV8r

Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:41 am

And no less than six times did that Heatwole kid put CLEARLY banned items on aircraft! And NOTHING has been done about it.

This is scary, folks. This goes beyond being a national embarrassment....this is downright dangerous.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Kempa

Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:46 am

Terror is a psychological aggression. The loss of 3000 lives is insignificant for the military capabilities of the United States, but the psychological damage was enormous. It created a feeling of vulnerability that Americans had never imagined.

The TSA works more or less on the same level, on two fronts. The first is that potential terrorists now know that the could be caught before performing an attack. Not that they will be caught, but they potentially could. Before 9/11, terrorists knew they would not be caught. The other level plays on the general public perception of air travel safety. It's the idea that "something" is being done to protect air travelers, who then feel safer and travel more.

Danny

Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:31 am

Actually its more about hassling than protecting passengers. They find everything that you don't try to hide. But this kid proven that if you want to hide something - then no problem to get it to the aircraft.
Morover - he sent email to them stating that he has information about dangerous object placed on the aircrafts and NO ONE reacted. That is real scandal. As with Sept. 11 - they had information but they ignored them.

Jacques60

Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:37 am

For the benefit of one European like me, would anyone care to explain what TSA is ?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:48 am

-Transportation Security Advisor- i.e. Airport Security Checkpoint

they are the ones eating, talking, and demanding you know nothing..because they have the shirt with a badge!

jhooper

Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:48 am

Transportation Security Administration.

They're more interested in putting college kids in jail and busting people telling jokes about bombs than really solving any problems.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

MidnightMike

Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:49 am

There is no such thing as 100% security, but, the TSA is 500% better than what we had before. Everybody is picking on the TSA, because before, the security never bothered nobody.

TSA = Transportation Security Administration (security at the airports)

You think the TSA is a pain now, well that a** that snuck stuff on the Southwest flight is about to make it a hell of a lot worse.

NO URLS in signature

Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:56 am

For those of us the lost people in 9/11.

Airport/Airline Security is a joke!

The TSA is an enormous slap in the face.. It is windowdressing for a much bigger problem!

We need to get serious.. Just as in Europe and Asia...

Armed guards! ...

Disciplined Personel! ...

Responsible/Reliable Candidates! ...

I guess you would have to start with the F.A.A and D.O.T....
That is where we should have had some housecleaning first!

Jacques60

Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:57 am

Many thks for your explanations ! Now I understand why they asked me -quite rudely- to loosen my belt, take off my shoes and deliberately made me wait ! I had dared to grumble that 4 checks was overdoing it a little !
This was in ATL last July 20th.
rgds

BR715-A1-30

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:02 am

JOKE, JOKE, JOKE.

In fact the ENTIRE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES is a joke. Not just the TSA.
Puhdiddle

SWAFA30

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:07 am

As a cabin crewmember this subject is of particular interest to me. For the large portion of the traveling public that only travels occassionally, this subject is mostly academic but for those of us who work on the nations airliners this is an everyday concern.

Even if TSA were meeting or exceeding standards, you still have jets flying around with bellies full of largely unscreened cargo and airport employees on the apron area with access to aircraft that bypass the security checkpoint as a matter of course. Then there are the shoulder fired missles floating around out there.

Part of the problem is that this security game is filled with contradictions.
Qualified screening and screeners is expensive. But nobody wants to really spend the necessary money. The government and the airlines each think the other should pay and passengers end up getting nickeled and dimed to death with meaningless fees. Thorough screening is time consuming but everybody complains about having to be at the airport too early. We want terrorists caught before they can act but some also want complete privacy and others are offended by the perceived or real discrimination of profiling.

There are examples of carriers that have taken responsibility for the safety of their aircraft and passengers. El Al comes to mind. It only takes a brief look at their security procedures to know that the american public would never stand for the scrutiny.

Do the logistics of the massive US commercial travel system make true security impossible?

JBirdAV8r

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:23 am

I also find that there are a larger percentage of disgruntled workers with "short-man syndrome" (i.e. an inferiority complex demonstrated by acting "bigger than" everyone else, acting like real jerks "just because they can") in this "profession" than in any other.

Anyone else notice this?

jeffrey1970

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:52 am

Ok, for all of you security experts, instead of just saying how you don't like the TSA, why not give some constructive ideas as to how airport security can be tightened.

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

jhooper

Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:25 am

Ok, for all of you security experts, instead of just saying how you don't like the TSA, why not give some constructive ideas as to how airport security can be tightened.

Well, we could start by screening air cargo. Next we could invest in technology such as explosive-proof baggage containers and better screening equipment. Finally, we could give every airline captain a gun and train him on how to use it.

Aside from that, perhaps we could evaluate our foreign policy and perhaps get to the root cause of the problem.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

cdgdtw

Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:34 am

TSA - I know it has been said a thousand times but once again: Thousands Standing Around. I'm certain there is a way to be tough on security without having such an obvious waste of resources making security lines unbearable. As a crew member, we encounter hundreds of different stations every year. Some small stations in particular, insist we remove our shoes. Others tell me I cannot have my wine-opener (no knife). There is no consistency. A while ago at MBS in Michigan, I counted 13 screeners one morning at ONE lousy checkpoint. Is this the best way? Showing strength with so many uniforms walking around? This has to change.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:48 am

They are not anyworse then what we had before. It is not possible to make air security 100% safe. If the airline is chosen as a target by the terrorist they will always find a way around security to do what they want to do. The only thing security can really do is deter something from happening.

"such as explosive-proof baggage containers"

This would only work on wide bodies. I would love to see you load a container onto a narrowbody such as a 717, DC-9, or 737.

cancidas

Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:55 am

In fact the ENTIRE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES is a joke. Not just the TSA

very true!

i have no faith in the TSA after a very dumb action on thier part in DEN.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

LastBaron

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:03 am

T - Totally
S - Superfluous
A - Agency

Another crude attempt by the current regime to create jobs to stem the massive hemhorraging in the private sector since Dumbya came into office.

To paraphrase another poster, "you get what you pay for."

Taking people who should be flipping burgers at McDonald's and giving them any degree of power, responsibility and a uniform and is just begging for a gigantic bureaucratic nightmare and disaster.

Look for more U.S. carriers to go bust because of this additional hurdle to business and for this so-called "safety measure" to cost the U.S. more in tourism income.

Facit: The TSA is a giant abortion and belongs on the scrap heap of history along with the current president.

ntspelich

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:08 am

I was at PIT last night picking my roommate up from LGA. While I was waiting outside of the security screening area for his arrival, I witnessed 2 TSA employees waving hoagies at passengers as they entered the screening area, one skipping around like it was recess for a second grader and three sitting sitting there doing cross word puzzles. I understand that there may not be that many passengers at 11:30PM that need to go through screenings, but why then have 15 or so employees sitting there wasting my tax money?

And, if you're going to go get dinner, why do you need to eat it in front of "customers" and further direct them as to what line to enter with your sandwich?

NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

LastBaron

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:17 am

Like I said... they should be flipping burgers at McDonald's, not entrusted with travelers' safety...

Danny

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:31 am

Aternative translation -
Thousands
Standing
Around.

futureualpilot

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:44 am

In fact the ENTIRE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES is a joke

and yet I still see the U.S. as being the "world leader" and still the most powerful nationm on earth....the model gov. that other countries try to follow most of the time, and yes we have our problems but what gov. doesnt?
Life is better when you surf.

futureualpilot

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:00 am

Ok, I want to apologize for any political comments, it isnt my place and Im an avid U.S. supporter(I live in it!) so anybnody insulting it gets me going. And baron, if they wont be around long why are they A) making a prift, and B) even brining back a few 744s now? And what info do you have to substantiate your opinion?

futureualpilot

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:08 am

Again Im saying Im sorry....its been a bad day. BUT, relating to the post, they dont anymore after this whole WN thing...scary that a college kid with no training could get those things aboard still...

LastBaron

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:11 am

Quoting from elsewhere on this board:

To get a snapshot of how the U.S. majors are performing economically, here is a summary of 3Q results that came out over the last week... still 3 carriers to report. I believe most if not all of these include the federal security reimbursements:

DL - $164 million LOSS, $2.7 bil. unrestricted cash (3Q '02 was $326 mil. LOSS)
US - $90 mil. LOSS, $1.38 bil. unrestricted cash (3Q '02 was $225 mil. LOSS)
NW - $42 mil. PROFIT, $2.8 bil. unrestricted cash (3Q '02 was $46 mil. LOSS)
CO - $33 mil. PROFIT (excludes $100 mil. gain from selling ExpressJet stock), $1.3 bil. unrestricted cash (3Q '02 was $37 mil. LOSS)
WN - $106 mil. PROFIT (3Q '02 was $75 mil. PROFIT), couldn't find unrestricted cash figure.
HP - $32.9 mil. PROFIT, $471 mil. unrestricted cash (3Q '02 was $49.6 mil. LOSS)
TZ - $6.6 mil. PROFIT, $197 mil. unrestricted cash (3Q '02 was $61 mil. LOSS)AA - Announcing tomorrow.
UA - Announcing 30 Oct.

Now just what makes you think they will announce a profit? All their news for the past months has been bad news...

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:11 am

LastBaron,

Do you have something aginst American Airlines and United Airlines....

I just replied to you in a forum that blasted AA! What is your problem with this industry.. are you even interested in this industry? Do you care what happens to it??

UAL
/////
Rising..... They are bringing planes into the fleet... not rolling them out of!

AA
Something Special In The Air
Building a Future for Tomorrow

JumboBumbo

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:16 am

Jacques60...

What other's haven't mentioned is that the TSA was created as part of the new Department of Homeland Security implemented after September 11. The job of screening passengers and their baggage was moved from a private enterprise to a government task. One of the chief problems here in the US is that since its inception, TSA has been terribly underfunded. This has resulted in reduction of TSA screening staff, and subsequently a higher workload for the TSA screeners that are still employed. Frequently at airports in the states, screeners look fatigued, bored, and/or disinterested. This is not to say that the private screeners were any better. The companies that were responsible for security often hired individuals without performing the proper background checks, overlooked or missed workers being in areas for which they didn't have the proper clearance, etc. Furthermore, as other have pointed out, the people who are employed as TSA screeners lead many to believe that theirs is a very easy job to get and do.

From the perspective of many Americans, including myself, not much has changed other than the patches on the screeners arms say TSA now, instead of Argenbright. And ultimately this is a scary reality.

Like many of the other measures enacted after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 (including USA-PATRIOT which, IMO, sadly represents a watershed in the rollback of civil liberties in the US), it was a reactionary measure that many here (including me) supported after September 11. In light of recent security lapses, however, we probably need an open discussion and reevaluation of the steps we took post-September 11 to improve airline security.

LastBaron

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:23 am

LastBaron,

Do you have something aginst American Airlines and United Airlines....

I just replied to you in a forum that blasted AA! What is your problem with this industry.. are you even interested in this industry? Do you care what happens to it??

KL, if you read that forum, you would have noted my comment that I currently hold significant numbers of shares in HP, as well as lesser numbers of shares in AirTran, Frontier, ATA, jetBlue and Southwest. Obviously, I *care* about what happens in this industry, but not with the *emotions* you seem to need to inject everywhere... I feel the majors have lost their right to exist... especially AA and UAL.

Back to TSA - it is and remains an abomination...

futureualpilot

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:28 am

I feel the majors have lost their right to exist... especially AA and UAL.

wwwwwwwwwwwhy? AA and UA have done a great deal to contribute to aviation, and will continue to do so. They are still 2 of the top international airlines in the U.S. and AA reported a profit this quarter....plus, what would be the benefit of an all LCC spciety if the majors went kaput?

ContinentalEWR

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:29 am

No, they do not have my confidence. The current security programs in place are a vast improvement over what we had before 09/11/01 but I have zero confidence in the TSA's ability to prevent future attacks.

ContinentalEWR

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:29 am

UAL
/////
Rising..... They are bringing planes into the fleet... not rolling them out of!

You really, really don't know what you're talking about. UA has quite a few B733/B735, many delivered within the past decade, up for sale. They're parking their B762 fleet. They've sold off several B744 and are reportedly are seeking homes for several more. They have numerous aircraft in storage. Meanwhile, their remaining orders for A319/A320 are on indefinite hold.

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:30 am

The sad part about all of this ... is that.... Flight Attendants have nothng to defend themselves with.. what are they to do???

Roll a meal cart down the air at the terrorist??

Pour a pot of hot coffee on the terrorist??

Scream and Shout for help??

Fact of the matter ... that the TSA..... or should I say... If the TSA does not do their job correctly ... the Flight Attendants and the passengers are the ones that will have to deal with the issue...

And when the next major disaster happens...

Do the victims families sue to TSA???

the FAA??

the DOT??

the Federal Government??

or the Bush/Cheney Ticket??

RL757PVD

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:35 am

Alright, Im going to take a stand here and go against the grain. I work airport operations, which requires me to work with the TSA ( screeners and management). What you folks see is mostly just the screening aspect and that is just 1/2 of the picture. The TSA really looks at the whole airport and looks to make sure a terrorist cant get in at some FBO and make his way over to the terminal ramp at night. There are MANY more ways to the aircraft other than the checkpoint. I am actually proud to say that I know TSA is very pationate about the security of the public, and several freidns of mine who are screeners take their jobs very seriously. Granted, the TSA managemnt at DAB is made of former FAA officials ( which really helps) but I would say that TSA has my confidence when I fly out of Daytona. I have also seen simmilar/ consistant screening with other airports I have flown through, SAN, LAX, PVD, MDW, ATL. I have never been hassled, nor had anything taken away, because anyone who is a smart traveler should be able to go through TSA no problem, and be on their way in a matter of minutes. Perhaps someone shoudl compare the statistics of confiscated TSA items vs pre TSa confiscated items? I know there are thoudands and thousands of weapons that have been taken. Has anyone thought that any ONE of the thousands taken could have been another terrorist, all it takes is one item, so you never know
Just a few things to think about......
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

n757kw

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:41 am

TSA is nothing but show.
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

futureualpilot

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:43 am

I have to agree with you on that, Ive seen them around the airport too, but still, that guy getting those things aboard the Wn planes is unnerving.

airways6max

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:47 am

Absolutely not. The TSA is a joke and we just saw how a bunch of knives got through security and onto a plane. Our airports feel more and more like prisons because of TSA and the planes feel like flying jail cells. Terrorists won't stopped by dirty, unkempt security guards or metal detectors that don't detect non-metal weapons and explosives. Our tax dollars at work.

jeffrey1970

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:50 am

LastBaron, you say "Facit: The TSA is a giant abortion and belongs on the scrap heap of history along with the current president." What would you replace the TSA with? and how would you do it?
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:52 am

IndustrialPate/LastBaron,

Where have you been all evening???

Lets see...

This is a forum to discuss the TSA.... not who should be allowed to fly!

Last Baron - you have blasted the majors... that is fine. Remember something were you there when HP, was a true full-service airline and they had 747's, including service to Japan? Were you there when they announced a major order of aircraft in 1991? Why didnt you pull them out of their financial woes!

IndustrialPate - It is widely known, from previous topics... you love and adore NWA! That is wonderful we all enjoy airlines... at least UAL still flies to Australia, South America, Asia, and Europe.. unaided by alliances! I.E. NWA does not serve Australia, or South America!

***Please keep focused on the topic - TSA******

JBirdAV8r

Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:01 pm

I have to agree with you on that, Ive seen them around the airport too, but still, that guy getting those things aboard the Wn planes is unnerving.

I've NEVER seen them anywhere but in the terminals, and almost all of my airport experience is around FBO's.

At my home airport in Tennessee (that does have commercial traffic) all it takes to get out onto the ramp is a three-digit security code. 737's, DC-8's, L-188's, DC-9's and other large cargo airplanes park out there very frequently. It would be VERY easy to cause some serious damage with very little effort. That's not even the half of it: The gate sticks open...if you do not physically force it shut, it will not close and lock. I've written several times to the airport administration and my email has allegedly been forwarded around to various staff, but alas, it still sticks.

The apathy people have is really amazing.

You know, in a way, the TSA reminds me of the Space Shuttle program. It was developed quickly as a cure-all for all the USA's space needs. It ended up going way-overbudget, necessary maintenance is not being performed on all the infrastructure associated with the program, and look....because of very preventable things, fourteen men and women have lost their lives in it. They are both white elephants.

covert

Re:

Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:30 pm

** T S A ** Do TheyHave Your Confidence?

No.
none

Cessna172RG

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:07 pm

TSA...ah...ha...haha...hahahaha...buahahahahahahahahaha!!! I think I shall suffocate from laughter (or all the drinks...)

Before September 11th, Seattle's security was ran by a private company consisting of 90% Egyptian immigrants who's only English was "this way sir" or "search please ok."

After September 11th, the Egyptians are gone...replaced by every dreg and reprobate from society. And I'm not saying just those McDonalds workers who were tired of flipping fake burgers, but those who could be professional crackheads on the side (when they're not fumbling around playing "look for the bra" on the screening camera).

Now I shall discuss my experiences with TSA, and then after, I will discuss how they should fix it. Perhaps some of this has been mentioned afore here...

TSA in Charlotte Douglass KCLT: The day after that frigging nutbag from England decided to set his shoes on fire, I was flying from CLT to DTW. And guess what? It was day one of "Take of your shoes and reveal your feet to the world." You take your shoes off at the only security terminal operating for ALL morning flights that connect to all concourses at CLT, after waiting 25 minutes in line wondering if you'll miss your flight. Even after removing all pocket change, wallets, cell phones (remember the old "Let me check your cell phone and please press a button"), other misc. metal things, and of course the shoes, having NO METAL on you except for the button and zipper on your jeans, you're asked to sit aside and place your feet on the foot pictures in front of a chair. After waiting five more minutes, they come to you, ask you all kinds of questions, do a body check, and then they want to check your shoes again. Meanwhile, Big ol' Bertha McFoo found something in your bag...oh no!!! Could it be...oh yes! You forgot to take yout your toenail clippers! Bertha gladly takes those and puts them in a trash can. And then they want to see my shoes again...

...I got to the gate right as they were shutting the door.

Now, I don't think I need to get into any more details...but...

Some fun TSA employees...

There's a guy at Seattle who wears one of those long neckstrap keychains that says "I love Jesus" and his job is to search everyone in a wheelchair.

Homeboy Phattie loves to check all the girls at Midway...

A Mexican (or hispanic) guy who has this fetish for checking asian women. He checked my Fiancee a LITTLE TOO CLOSELY and then accidentally dropped MY DIGITAL CAMERA that she was carrying. Broke the damned thing...

Some other guy, dark skinned, has a problem with being the subordinate and not the Grand Duchy of Security...at Seattle's N and D gate security, he was arguing with three people about how his way was better. Meanwhile, people were going off with their stuff without doing body checks and what not, as called by the xray and gate watcher person, who still can't speak english...

How to fix this???

Easy. Shoot all of them. Then, hire everyone from Airliners.net. WE KNOW what the flying public EXPECTS and DESERVES. Those other people can go back to their trailers and smoke pot.

As for the government, President Shrubbery (aka Bush) should give half of his 87 billion-dollar-zero interest for 12 months-no down payment for 5 years-who care if it ruins the economy loan- to FIX TSA and hire some real people.

I've had enough. And President Weedwhacker doesn't care. He just wants to start wars to look good. Hey, what's that old Japanese saying... 薮をつついて蛇を出す (Don't meet trouble half way) or the other Japanese saying... 山上に坐して相つつ虎の倒れるを待つ (He expects roasted chickens to fall into his mouth with ease). Those are metaphors, used as slang, and if directly translated, don't quite add up. Just ask a native Japanese speaker LOL.

I don't want to start a political debate here...but...you know how that old thing goes...

Let's hope that one day the flying public will revolt against TSA and demand travelers rights and BETTER security. Not this egotistical pissing contest and "to each his own" style security checks.

Time for another martini...
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

JGPH1A

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:40 pm

As a meek and humble unworthy non-US citizen (and as such automatically a rabid Mao-spouting terror suspect), I have to say the TSA seems pretty arbitrary in what is and is not dangerous/permitted/a threat to National Security. Sometimes there's men with guns by the metal detector, sometimes they make you take your belt off, sometimes your shoes, sometimes they rifle through your meagre possessions - other times you could wander through there with a Stinger missile, and they wouldn't bat an eyelid.

I suppose on reflection the TSA are no worse than the INS have always been - highly suspicious of any non-citizen who would dare to request entry into The Promised Land, and who is bound to be a communist sympathiser or welfare-sponge. The TSA are just taking this mind-set and applying it to ALL travellers, not just the foreigners. It's their job, they get paid whatever.

The whole security paranoia thing that is currently happening in the States is very disturbing - it is refreshing to see from the postings above that not everyone is simply accepting what amounts to an unpleasant invasion into the lives and travel habits of INNOCENT people. Soon we will all be forced to travel in slippers with our trousers held up with string (unless string is deemed a threat because you could garotte someone with it). Maybe they should make everyone undress, check their clothes with their luggage, and travel in hospital-style paper gowns with our hands taped up and hoods over our heads.
If its good enough for Guantanamo Bay, its good enough for the rest of us !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers