What Luxury Product For BA/AF After Concorde?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:51 am

What will British Airways and Air France do now that CONCORDE is leaving the fleet?

Are there plans for all Business or First Class Trans-Atlantic?

Are there plans for greater Business/First products?

KL777JFK

Jacques60

RE: What Luxury Product For BA/AF After Concorde?

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:14 am

I don't think there is much in the drawers to "replace" Concorde, likeky reason being that it is not mainly a question of classes/luxury etc but a question of speed and crossing time to JFK ! I believe that seating/quality of restaurant...came as a justification of the price to pay for the speed ! Remember that at the start the ticket on Concorde was roughly 20% above First class, obviously in an effort to make money with it.
Now both AF and BA lost the advantage of speed, and any better seat/meal/service on any wide body will not replace it.
Rgds

mikkel777

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:18 am

AF ordered A319LR, and it would'nt surprise me much if one of those would enter the CDG-JFK route in the same manner as PrivatAir is operating DUS-EWR.
The oil-cities are probably another target for the 319..

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:20 am

The above is very true...

However the Concorde clientele.... will most likely ... NOT... want to jet to London or Paris with 300 people onboard, nor will they want to wait...as everone else to clear Immigration/customs...

Perhaps, we could look at A319LR, 737-700LR, or A330.... doing an all Business or First Class service...

If people want to fly Economy... Pack them into a 747 that holds 490 people!

jaysit

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:34 am

Onboard internet connections at every seat, cheaper air to ground telephone services, faxes - essentially flying corporate offices making speed a non-essential.

Remember that the food on Concorde wasnt the draw. First Class meals on the best carriers are served with much more finesse than on Concorde. Concorde guaranteed speed. But now a top corp exec can board a 747 in London, work at his seat, take a nap on a flat bed, and be in touch with his office at all times. Who needs speed when u have connectivity?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

ntspelich

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:11 am

Easy, either purchase a jet or join a fractional ownership program, such as NetJets. I remember reading once how Warren Buffett was expecting a big growth in business post Concorde. Although the flight time won't be anywhere near the Concordes, the advantages of using airports closer to your home/workplace and not having to get there early to check-in/go through security/wait for baggage will make up for it.

NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

CitationX

Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:21 pm

Since the advent of fractional ownership of business jets, it is makes more sense for corporations and wealthy celebrities to buy 100 annual hours on a Global Express or G-V than to fly Privatair or a luxury airline like the long-departed MGM Grand Air.

While it may cost more to do the fractional deal, the users get better comfort, higher security, more direct routing, schedule flexibility and shorter total travel times when flying a G-V or Global Express on the "Atlantic Crossing", rather than a modified airliner like the A319 or 737NG, which are not optimally designed for the job.

NITRO500

Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:44 pm

I think an on time departure is considered a luxury product nowadays....