nudelhirsch

St Maarten Approaches

Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:21 am

hi guys...

I know, this is going to be a totally stoopid question, probably, if one day anybody starts a thread about dumd questions I will be in the winning-team...

Anyway...

As the guy (don't have Your nick right now...) mentioned SXM as a weird approach procedure, I started looking for pix, cause I didn't know what or who SXM would be...
So I saw a lot of pix from there by now, and I wonder, if the heavies are approaching so low over ground, just across the beach...the noise and the heat from the engines, the wake turbs, the wind coming out of the engines...that is only fun for us here...but it also sounds pretty unhealthy...I heard, that the EGT could kill somebody, when too close.
I did a lot of landscape-photos before, and I know, how to "cheat" on the motive with the right lenses, right settings...nothing new for me...
So is it just the impression, or ar the birds really flying low (doesn't that mean, that bad weather is coming up?...lol) and wouldn't that be dangerous to people around? I would love to spedt a 52 week vacation on that beach, but girlie would probably check in for the flight home after two 747...

As I said, it is stoopid, so don't tell me that again. But answers would be cool anyway...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

jeffrey1970

RE: St Maarten Approaches

Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:01 am

I do believe there are signs on the beach telling people who far to stand away when a jet approaches.

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:52 am

I've been there, and have many photos from SXM on here. They're really that low. I've stood under the AF 747 during landing, and behind it during take off. I'm still here. It's prolly more dangerous to your health to try and spot around EWR  Big grin...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Stevenson - SPOT THIS!

Dazed767

Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:57 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm

They are that low. A good guess is that he was around 30 feet. The jetblast of her departing was incredible. Blew my shirt over my head, I had to grab on to the guard rail on the side of the road.

Justin

zebfly2

Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:52 am

After looking at some of those incredible shots taken @ SXM, I started to wonder, what if an a/c was making an emergency landing there? Would the authorities evacuate the beach as a precaution??

Zebfly2
Educate your children before others mis-educate them!!!

Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:01 pm

They'd prolly do an emergency landing at a nearby airport with a longer runway.

My pic is better, Justin.  Big grin

Brian - SPOT THIS!