avi

Security Alert Deviated El-Al Flight From Toronto

Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:31 am

An El-Al flight (LY105 TLV-YYZ-LAX) was deviated today from its route after ATC told the crew, during descent, that "immediate security alert" exists and they must stay away from Toronto.
The flight was ordered to deviate to Montreal and from there it flew to Hamilton and now it is on its way to Los Angeles (LAX).

On channel 2 news in Israel it was said that the alert came from Israeli sources and although on scale of 1 to 10 it was mark only as 3, the Canadian Airport Authority didn’t take any chance and told the aircraft to deviate.

In the past few weeks many alerts regarding terror attacks on El-Al aircrafts came in especially from South East Asia and Africa.
Long live the B747

gmonney

RE: Security Alert Deviated El-Al Flight From Toronto

Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:35 am

Hey Dripper, i hope you had your camera today, looks like there was a great photo oportunity!! As well that Antinov that you shot last night was splended, looking forward to its acceptance on this website!

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

captaingomes

Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:45 am

Interesting. I wonder how much merit the threat really had, and if that means they will be going after spotters even more.

Thanks for letting us know.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

todaReisinger

Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:42 am

Haaretz online:

22:49Canadian Transport Min. David Collenette: Authorities had information of specific threat against El Al flight to Toronto (Reuters)

I really wonder what happened, maybe in the coming hours we'll have some details.
I bitterly miss the livery that should never have been changed (repetition...)

Mark_D.

Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:04 am

Todareisinger-- I really wonder what happened, maybe in the coming hours we'll have some details.

So far not many details, it's the top story on CanadaNow (CBC supper hour news). Landed first at YMX (Mirabel), before going on to YHM (Hamilton) and then to LAX.

424_sq

Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:28 am

Looks like El Al 106 from LAX is deviating to Hamilton instead of arriving at YYZ. Will arrive at YHM shortly after midnight.

dripstick

Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:46 am

424_sq, where did you get that information? On FlyteComm it is still showing YYZ at 12:11AM.

Cheers, Andy
What's another word for thesaurus?

dripstick

Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:53 am

Nevermind, it is showing YHM on Trip.com.

Thanks, Andy
What's another word for thesaurus?

AWspicious

Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:29 am

I'm surprised, in light of the events, that any flight tracking website is showing El Al's flight paths at all.
This really sucks! as if we GTA aviation enthusiasts don't have a tough enough time viewing airplanes at YYZ... Now, some yutz has to go and phohk things up even more for us! THANKS A LOT, AHZOLE!
I'm glad nothing (major) happened, though.

a.w.

Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!