SunValley
Topic Author

SkyWest A NorthwestAirlink Partner?

Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:42 am

Any truth to this rumor that is floating around SGU?

PSU.DTW.SCE

RE: SkyWest A NorthwestAirlink Partner?

Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:03 am

and Skywest would do what for NW.....?

SunValley
Topic Author

Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:06 am

I suppose replace some of the Mesaba Group!

Aloha717200

Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:10 am

No, I'm pretty sure this rumour is false.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:17 am

That would be the only thing, but it sure seems like a long shot.

We all know that NW is debating the whole Mesaba ARJ issue.
They stated they will take bids to replace that flying.
The decision date is Dec. 15, 2003 with a contract termination of April 25, 2004.

Here is NW options in the most likely order:
1) NW gets rid of ARJ's, uses Pinnacle CRJ's/NW mainline DC-9 equipment to pick up the slack in the network
2) NW keeps ARJ (using this whole issue as a ploy against Mesaba pilots and to force a contract settlement)
3) NW brings in another regional provider to pick up the feed lost by the ARJ's

Theoretically, NW will have enough capacity with enough CRJ deliveries and spare -9's to replace the ARJ routes by next Spring if they see fit. There are still an awful lot of CRJ's to be delivered, a lot of Saab routes that can't support CRJ's, and the -9 fleet will basically go unchanged through 2004.
(Remember the XJ Saab contract is unaffected by all of this)

Bringing in another regional provider?? Maybe, but Skywest doesn't do anything anywhere close to NW's hubs in DTW, MSP, and MEM. Do they have aircraft to bring to the table? I'm sure its a smart move for senior management to jump at the opportunity for additional flying.

Whether or not this is NW's bluff, no one knows.

ah414211

Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:02 am

Interesting.......

Aloha717200 what exactly are you using to base your "sure-ness" on??

SuperDash

Sat Oct 25, 2003 12:50 pm

Could it be the NW code on the CO and DL flights operated by SkyWest?

SunValley
Topic Author

Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:07 pm

It could very well be the new code share that DL has with CO & NW. However, I think some of the Majors are looking at what happened in CVG when Comair put on that "strike" production a few years back. It bottlenecked, and caused a huge problem for DL. (notice how DL now has other Connection Cariers opeating in some of the same markets---SLC has SkyWest, ASA & Comair) CVG now has Comair-ASA , ACA operating in the same markets)

UA has Skywest & Mesa or AIRWIS operating in the same markets.

I think NW is looking at the labor unrest at Mesaba, and is adopting some of these same ideas from other carriers. I guess you'd call it lets not put all our eggs in one basket, cause if the basket is dropped, we feel it big time.

acvitale

Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:01 am

I think as far as the question of if Skywest has the resources is moot.

Over 1 Billion in cash in the bank and a coast to coast route network with codeshares for DL CO UA and others.

http://www.skywest.com

They are the best run regional airline in the world.

A C Vitale

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:07 am

NW already has themselves covered, thats why they have both Mesaba and Pinnacle. You could argue that right now NW is putting all its eggs in one basket with Pinnacle, look who's getting all the CRJ's...

SunValley
Topic Author

Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:18 am

PSU yah, right on. Thats why they are asking for bidders?

geg2rap

Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:08 am

Hey if they give the lowest bid I wouldn't be suprised, DL can't seem to get enough of them nor UA, NW would be the next step,
plus they would share some routes so skywest employees could work dl ua and nw flights and save $$$ for skywest
we will see thought ACA needs some work and mesaba has a contract where they can't fly for anyone else but NW right?

SunValley
Topic Author

Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:19 am

Geg2rap- Thats is right, Mesaba cannot fly for anyone else due to the constraints of their contract with NW. BUT-->they also own BigSky out in Montana so maybe they will pull something out of the hat there.
On the other hand, I do believe SkyWest is in talks with NW right now, and they are known to accumulate aircraft and get to work FAST. When they did the replacement for Westair-Mesa over in California & Washington & Oregon
they did that so unusally fast and with such flare, I think they could pull off almost any act with NW.

geg2rap

Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:54 pm

What about horizon? is that serious or just a.net talk, or is this whole thing just a nw scare to the mesaba pilots?
also what is mesaba's and skywest's 2 didgit code?

SuperDash

Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:09 pm

I think that NW will look at a bunch of airlines. I think that Horizon, SkyWest, Mesa, ACA, Big Sky and others are in the game. It depends on aircraft type and if Mesaba can get their issues fixed. CRJ-700's or Q400's work well for Horizon. CRJ-200 work well for everyone else. I think NW is interested in adding a 3rd carrier (Sorry PSU). Hopefully just expanding the NW Airlink reach and not cutting any carrier's growth. But I still think the SkyWest thing right now is the NW code on DL flights out of SLC/DFW. We will see. The Mesaba thing is interesting to say the least.

geg2rap

Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:13 pm

Yes the skywest code is on flights to pasco wa at least I know for sure. but what is skywest's code SW ? SK ? Mesaba's ? XJ ?

tzsfo

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:13 pm

Skywest's code is OO....
It takes nerves of steel to stay neurotic. — Herb Kelleher

ScottB

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:42 pm

It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see SkyWest picking up some of NW's feed -- ExpressJet/CO probably still has a good number of EMB-120's which they'd be happy to sell to SkyWest, and SkyWest will likely have a good number of EMB-120's in its existing fleet which have been or will be replaced by CRJ's flying for United Express and Delta Connection.

OO managed to ramp up its CO Connection service from IAH very quickly, they've got CRJ-700's on order which could be used to replace the Mesaba Avro's (assuming that NWA got the OK from its pilots), and the EMB-120's would be a good match in size for the Saabs.

It doesn't hurt either that SkyWest runs an excellent operation. Actually, I once speculated that DL, NW, and CO would get together on codeshare regional service from LAX/SFO/SAN with OO. Certainly that would be preferable to sending their passengers over to the competition (AA Eagle), but it may not be possible depending on OO's contract with UA.

9ETRNG

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:51 pm

As of right now, there will NOT be any new Airlink carriers for several reasons.

1. Due to contracts in place with mainline pilots, there can only be two Airlink carriers. They also at this time, HAVE to be Pinnacle, and Mesaba as stated directly in the contract.

2. There will/CANNOT be a new aircraft type due to union contracts with mainline pilots. The only jet aircraft Airlink carriers can primarily take delivery of from now on are CRJ 440LR's. The only carrier in the world with these on order is 9E/Pinnacle.

Sorry to kill the rumor.

At least for now.

In time, things COULD change.

SunValley
Topic Author

Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:39 pm

INtersting then that NW would call for bids from other airlines. They & their attorneys must know something you don't.

BAGSMASHER

Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:21 am

...............WORD!!

9ETRNG

Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:32 am

Don't think so,

On a related note though, just out of curiosity Sun Valley, where did you here NW was looking for another Airlink carrier? You obviously don't fly within the Northwest family. As this is what was told to ALL current mainline and Airlink pilots.

I'm guessing Sky West, as that is the carrier who started the rumor three weeks ago.

Cheers,

[Edited 2003-10-26 17:36:44]

ah414211

Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:53 am

9ETRNG-

I think this article started the speculation--

Mesaba says Northwest seeks to terminate jet deal
Tue October 7, 2003 07:43 PM ET
LOS ANGELES, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Regional airline Mesaba Aviation Inc., a unit of MAIR Holdings Inc. (MAIR.O: Quote, Profile, Research) , said on Tuesday that Northwest Airlines Corp. (NWAC.O: Quote, Profile, Research) is considering exercising its right to terminate an agreement under which Mesaba leases and operates 36 jet aircraft.
Under a 1996 agreement governing the Avro RJ85 fleet, Northwest may terminate the deal by notifying Mesaba on or before Oct. 28. At Mesaba's request, the two companies have agreed to extend the termination notice period to Dec. 15.

If Northwest provides notice of early termination, the regional jet services agreement would end as of April 25, 2004, Mesaba said. The companies have already agreed to remove five of the 36 aircraft from service.

The company said a separate agreement governing its Saab SF340 turbo-prop aircraft remains intact.

dsuairptman

Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:53 am

It is possible. There is nothing saying that Skywest has to operate all connectung flights to salt lake city. The could easily rotate crews and planes into MSP and MEM. There a much admired carrier, and diffently better to do business w/ than those arrogant Mesaba pilots.
GEAUX SAINTS!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:12 pm

I'm telling you this are all a bunch of false rumors that people have interepted by misreading information.

NW is not actively looking for another Airlink partner. There are many specifics stated within the NW mainline contract only allowing Pinnacle and Mesaba. Everyone's going crazy cuz NW is pulling a stunt about possibly dropping Mesaba's Arvo service. If NW does they could easily pick up the backlog of service with the DC-9's and CRJ's. NW is taking delivery of 2 CRJ's per month through 2005. There could easily be enough capacity to make up for the ARJ's.

Now, if NW is taking delivery of 30 some more CRJ's
(allocated for Pinnacle), why on earth would NW be looking for ANOTHER provider????? Its not like they are looking for more aircraft, they have plenty. NW maintains the leases on all of Pinnacle's CRJ's and also is using them as a pension fund.

People are ignoring the facts here
1) Mesaba's Saab contract isn't going anywhere, it is unaffected by all of this.
No, Skywest isn't going to come in and start flying EMB-120's, NW doesn't need anymore props.
2) Horizon, that is some goofy, airliners.net rumor that has been conjured up by a few individuals. Sorry but NW has no interest in flying large props (Q400's)
3) Mesaba Airlines is the ONLY airlink partner allowed to operate aircraft greater than 50 seats, and only 36 of such variety, as stated in the NW pilots contract. That kind of blows the whole Skywest CRJ-700 picture down.
4) Pinnacle has got more than enough CRJ's on the way, they don't need the feed of another partner.

Its more than likely the whole NW/CO/DL codeshare taking form, as flights out of SLC will now start carrying the NW code.

Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:39 pm

Word I have is that SkyWest will make a decision soon on the purchase of Express Jet from CO. If that doesn' go through, then maybe they pick up some NWA routes. Right now, they just don't have the birds to expand on that level. SkyWest is without question the best managed regional, regardless what any news articles say.

SunValley
Topic Author

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:46 am

Yes, and the word on the street is that it will be a DL/CO/NW designated flight, but will replace AIRLINK. The way around this tight contract that Mesaba has. Gotta hand it to those in th eknow.Right?

9ETRNG

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:52 am

And those in the KNOW would be who?

Or should I assume SunValley you THINK you are.
Kinda of a modest guy aren't ya?

geg2rap

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:53 am

Sunvalley
I assume you are talking about the mesaba flights, what would they be on crj-200? or 700? do you know anything about the previous comment on expressjet being bought by skywest (is that expressjet for co or nw airlink (ie xj)??)

rb211

Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:08 am

If that were true, what would happen to their relationship with Delta?
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

SunValley
Topic Author

Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:10 am

Geg2Rap, as I understand it, it is the Express Jet services of CO that SkyWest has been seriously taking into consideration. SkyWest practically owns the bank, so it would be no problem for them to come up with the $$ required, and OO operates very quickly when push comes to shove. I understand that CO is just ecstatic about the EMB120 operation that OO put together with their old Brasilias.

As to the Mesaba- Pinnacle story, what I have been hearing is that this is
something totally new, in that if this proceeds with Northwest, the flights will more than likely be operated under DLCX flight numbers, but carry the CO & NW designators, & essentially put a halt to the Mesaba struggle NW has, and going around--in other words the partnership between NW-CO-& DL will create assured service for any of three without fear of strikes, work stoppages etc. So as I understand it, CO DL & NW are working closely with each other, rather than away from each other to see that the structure of feed goes on one way or another. Interesting to say the least....

worldtraveler

Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:47 am

NW has got to be realizing that they are at a severe disadvantage by flying so few RJ's while CO and DL both have enormous fleets and considerable flexibility to deploy them wherever they wish. Even if the DC-9's are paid for and are relatively inexpensive to operate from an aircraft cost perspective, they still require NW employees to work and rightlly or not, NW thinks they need wage concessions from their employees. They will be looking for every opportunity to grow their network and replace less profitable routes by codesharing on other operator's aircraft -both DL and CO mainline as well as their regional partners.

Whether this particular report is true or not, NW will look at more and more opportunities to codeshare.

I too think it is very possible that CO, DL, and NW may set up a regional jet operation on the west coast. DL and CO both have historic presences on the west coast (excl. SLC which obviously serves some of the same markets via a trip inland) and could easily deploy some flights relatively inexpensively just based on the "bunching up" of aircraft that happens on the west coast in the evening and morning by east coast heavy airlines, which DL and CO both are. RJ's could fill in many other holes. CO, DL, and NW are at a disadvantage because of their lack of presence up and down the west coast. Even though Alaska helps CO and NW some, DL is not likely to benefit (my guess is that their pilots will not allow another domestic codeshare partner). CO and DL both have more than enough RJ's that they could put together a reasonable RJ heavy intra-west presence if they wanted to.

azjubilee

Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:07 am

Dsuairptman - arrogant Mesaba pilots? Do explain yourself.

AZJ

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:14 am

Ha, what about those "arrogant" Comair pilots that went on strike a few years back??
So when's Skywest up for a contract??? Wonder if they'll be arrogant too.

I'm still somewhat lost on this whole Skywest thing. How do all these rumors just manifest in a day?

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:40 am

He's talking about you AZJ! You greedy Mesaba employee -- you and your union is the reason your airline's almost bankrupt!

- IndustrialPatent, A Star Alliance Member
/ / / U N I T E D

(just kidding AZJ!)

SunValley
Topic Author

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:51 am

PSU, your friends at NW, being completely dissatisfied with contracts they agreed to in the past, asked other carriers to submit proposals for operating feed service for their MSP & DTW hubs. The also got together with both DL & CO, and formed a group of individuals who are looking at the feed of all three carriers. They are in a situation whereby they are looking at the possibilities of contracting SkyWest Or another Regional Jet Operator) to replace some markets where NW airlink carriers have served in the past. The flights will be operated as DL connection, but will also carry a NW flight #, and a Co flight # as well. Essentially legally breaking the contract that that NW has for the only 2 providers of feed-(that beingMesaba & Pinnacle) This flight will be listed as a DL CX flight for the purposes of the contract, and NW & CO will will repurchase the seats from DL, and also partake in any loss sustained by the route.

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:52 am

SunValley,
Gulfstream has operated one or two flights exclusively under the NW code before IIRC...

Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:39 am

PSU...

Have fun waiting. SkyWest is non-union.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:41 pm

Sorry, I didn't know that Skywest wasn't unionized....I can only keep track of things going on over on this side of the Mississippi.

SunValley, that certainly is an interesting proposal. That would take these airline alliances to a new level. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I don't mean to discredit anything you've said, but its hard to believe that NW is that unsatisfied with the contracts they have with Mesaba and Pinnacle. Heck, they've been responsible for making them what they are today. Mesaba and Pinnacle aren't like Mesa, ACA, Skywest, etc as the Small Jet Providers which operate for several different carriers. Its just a different matter when your hands are tied to someone who then wants to abandon you. NW wanted to purchase Mesaba a few years back, and Pinnacle is their baby right now. Whipsawing at its best I guess. One has to wonder why there is so much strife at the regional level these days. Its like making my $8.25 an hour is simply too much for some people.

ah414211

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:39 pm

Ha, what about those "arrogant" Comair pilots that went on strike a few years back??
So when's Skywest up for a contract??? Wonder if they'll be arrogant too.

Hmm....Considering SkyWest is Non-Union it may be a while before they're up for a contract!

geg2rap

Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:51 pm

Sunvalley
So if skywest buys xj it would be a cash deal not a stock deal (;ole the mesa aca thing)
Does OO plan to take anymore of the 120's from co's desert collection?
Man if OO takes over Expressjet they will really rule the skies over the wester us what air wisky any talk of them going public or takeover??
geg2rap

SuperDash

Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:14 pm

No, Mesa is buying Mesaba. They only have to cut off 2 letters. It doesn't get any easier than that. Mesa said that they would commence the buyout within 3 months or after the ACA deal closes. Whichever comes first. Mesa claims they want to fly for all of the Major airlines in the USA and have a fleet larger than American, United and Southwest combined. Gee, do you think they may try to work for Alaska too?

Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:39 pm

Mesa... The ultimate pipe dream. I guess there really are delousional CEO's.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos