flybynight

Maybe Again Concorde?

Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:12 am

The Concorde isn't just another plane. The retirements of 727's, L1011's and DC10's is certainly sentimental, but the Concorde is a different story.
I wonder if somewhere down the road, the Concorde will have an occasional flight. Sure would be nice, eh.
Heia Norge!

ryder10uk

RE: Maybe Again Concorde?

Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:18 am

as a bomber i reckon

Lucifer

Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:23 am

Not with the corrosion issues that they had after it had been grouded following the 2000 Paris crash. There was a substantial weight loss after 3 supersonic cycles, according to Claud Freeman, that negate keeping it long, without flying it. And keeping it to fly would require commercial operations to sustain the cost. Which has been proven unsustainable unfortunately.

GDB

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:00 am

What corrosion? Getting heated up everytime at Mach 2 tends to prevent corrosion.
As for the BA Manager quoted, let's just say he won't be remembered as one who fought our corner, or knew much about the aircraft, or had much to do with the return to flight programme and did not have the respect of the flight crews...for good reason.
Kept a close eye on his career prospects however.

ConcordeBoy

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:03 am

What corrosion? Getting heated up everytime at Mach 2 tends to prevent corrosion.

I believe he's speaking of possible corrosion from sitting, not during flight.

That's the reason why the French were intially so reluctant to D-check F-BVFF, corrosion from sitting.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

GDB

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:14 am

Some very minor surface corrosion in a cople of areas due the grounding, soon fixed. But we kept the aircraft in working order and under cover as much as possible, as well as ventilated when under cover.
As well as it being the most maintained airliner there ever was.

flybynight

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:58 am

I would think if the Concorde (or really any plane) is stored inside in a controlled environment that corrosion would not be a problem.
Heia Norge!

bmi330

Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:15 am

I think she will fly again. She is to special to just be put in a museum to wrote and die off. Someone will save her from that fate I am sure and she will rise graciously into the sky like only she can like a phoenix from the ashes. Look at what happened to the TU-144 for a short why and that wasn't perceived hafe as well as Concorde.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos