congun1

Does Anyone Like The Sound Of Thrust Reversers?

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:41 am

Are there anyone who likes to hear the sound of thrust reversers when you are in the aircraft? I like to hear to the sound of thrust reversers.

Also, what airlines make it compulsory for their pilots to use the thrust reversers (Not IDLE Reverse) when landing?

Thank you

planesarecool

RE: Does Anyone Like The Sound Of Thrust Reversers?

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:46 am

I love reverse thrust, wherever i am (inside or outside the aircraft), however i think the pilots will only use it on a short runway, if there is an aircraft landing right behind them or they wanna get off the runway quicker. Surely reverse thrust must wear out the engines quicker?

-Stephen

EGGD

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:48 am

Any sound from an aircraft is good sound!

ConcordeBoy

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:53 am

Reverse thrust is without a doubt my favorite sound on an airliner (followed closely by the spool-up immediately preceding takeoff)

Best incident was the very back of a DL M88 in 1993, ATL-BTR, landed well into a 6900 runway; and they braked and reversed to the max. Being right next to the engines, it was incredible!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

planemad

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:01 am

I love the sound of thrust reversers. But then I love anything that is to do with aircraft.

OD720

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:06 am

It's like listening to your favorite peace of music very loud. Sure!

lamyl_hhlco

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:27 am

I just love the 737-200's one!! loud and sweeeet

7E7

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:30 am

EGGD...except for one sound...like the GPWS' 'Whoop Whoop, Low Terrain, Pull Up'

Captain_777

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:40 am

7E7- Had this happen to you before??  Smile

I've been on a DL Md88 in the back as well Concordeboy. It was a LOUD experience. The 717 was sort of neat too.

rockyracoon

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:41 am

Love hearing the loud delta md-88s and 737-200s everytime i go to the airport, too bad all the 727s are gone.

Tim

boeing767mech

RE: Does Anyone Like The Sound Of Thrust Reverser?

Sun Oct 26, 2003 5:58 am

Little off the topic. But I like the sound of a prop as it goes into BETA(reverse) and starts pulling thrust the opposite direction

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

MD11LuxuryLinr

Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:28 am

MD80s, DC9s, 727s, 732s especially. I love the roar. High bypass engines sound great too but it's always better when its produced by a JT8D! Mix in any reversing aircraft with a wet runway.. now that's a show!  Big thumbs up
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

levg79

Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:34 am

Out of all the planes I've heard reversing, Concorde beats everything. I like the sound of car alarms going off when the Concorde lands. Unfortunately, those days are gone.

Surprisingly enough, I've learned recently that Jetblue planes are not equipped with thrust reversers...anyone else knew it?
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

Aaron747

Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:46 am

And where did you hear that?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

qqflyboy

Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:46 am

Every time I sit in the tailcone of an MD-80, I wait excitedly to hear the clam shells come out and hear the engines roar to life again. Most flight attendants who sit back there put their fingers in their ears, but not me!

One of the more quiet reverse thrusts I've ever heard is on the MD-90. QQ had five equipped with IAE V2525 engines. Although quiet, one could not mistake the power they had by listening to the engines whine during takeoff. Truly the best!
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

captaink

Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:51 am

It is so great to see that most or all aviation enthusiast think the same.

Just love to hear airplanes use reverse thrust. AS one said, I love all sounds esp. thrust reverse and engine spool up to take off power. I even like to hear when an aircraft revs a lot to taxi.

For reverse I love the older jets, B727, L1011, MD-80 series etc.

For engine spool up to taxi, I like newer jets like the 737NG or A320 series. I like to hear the engine change from the grumble to the whine as it powers up to taxi.

For take off sound? Older Jets all the way especially the B727. I dont like to hear the engine buzz on newer jets.
There is something special about planes....

nudelhirsch

Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:02 am

Nothin can beat the sound of the 4 beasts driving a C5...

but reverse is also a great sound! combine it with wet runways, spray...awesome...

But, the sound is great on side, but some of the frequencies can hurt the ears a little...

I actually love takeoff sounds most, not airbus though, but a 747 on takeoff, C17, like metinoned C5 (ouuuhhh!!!!! yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!)

Actually, turboprop sounds are quite cool as well, these really sound like somethings happening...some spinning parts...kinda oldskool...

Missing in my sound-collection is the reverse-sound of a C5...must be sort of a celebration hearing that...heard it only from distance, doesn't count...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

MD11LuxuryLinr

Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:56 pm

'Surprisingly enough, I've learned recently that Jetblue planes are not equipped with thrust reversers...anyone else knew it? '

I almost believed that as I was looking through the database. Out of all the pics of landing Jetblues, there was only ONE that proved that statement wrong.. just barely  Big thumbs up

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

N312RC

Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:20 pm

Classic Northwest DC-9 powerbacks from the back gates of the McNamara Terminal in Detroit. Sweet stuff.
N/A

avroarrow

Sun Oct 26, 2003 1:26 pm

A friend of mine one had a hotel room in the Radisson across the street from SNA and every time a B 757 landed and kicked in the thrust reversers it sounded like someone skidding a large steel plate across the concrete. Of course this was a weird byproduct of sound reflections, but it did take a couple of times to work out exactly what the godawful sound was.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy No other types of aircraft had the same grating sound. It is something I'll probably remember for the rest of my life.
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

lehpron

Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:31 pm

"Any sound from an aircraft is good sound!"

Except the kind where you are at the back seat of an MD-90 and you hear a loud SLPINCH and all you see are sparks and your blood everywhere and you turn your head and see the ground instead of a window and then you say, "Oh yeah, a turbine blew" -- that's not the sound I want to hear.

Back to the topic, reverse thrusters sound better because they are going against the flow of air. Like the older 731/732's landing in dirty runways and this cloud of dust/sand gets caught up around the wing tips and swirls to the back -- it's cool.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

GulfstreamGuy

Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:02 pm

Just like N312RC said, DC-9 powerbacks were great! There was almost nothing like the feeling you get when you are standing at the nose of a DC-9 and the captain gives you a "thumbs up", you give him a "chalks removed" and "all clear" sign, you bring him forward about 4 feet and then the deafening.... ROOOOOAAAAAARRR!!!!!! The dust kicks up! The air fills with the aroma of burned Jet-A and this great metal bird is slowly moving backwards with a sharp turn out to the taxi position! You signal him to bring the aircraft to a fwd/stop position, all clear again and salute him off! You walk away looking back thinking... "My God! I love my job!!"
Now I say "ALMOST nothing like" a DC-9, but the only aircraft I enjoyed powering back more was the earth-shaking roar of our 727! Sometimes I thought those bird could have measured on the Richter Scale!
But all good things must come to an end and two years ago LIT received a
..."sigh" pushback. So our powerback days are long gone.  Crying

GG
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

kilavoud

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:01 pm

When it is the sound of an arrival to a still unknown destination, it is a sound offering a reward : happiness in expectation.
Regards. Kilavoud.

VS340

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:19 pm

First time i ever flew a 737-200 they turned on the thrust reversers just after touchdown and when i saw them open up i almost shit myself because i thought the engine was falling off. my buddy had a good laugh at my expense because of that one.

Iberia340600

Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:45 pm

I experienced a powerback at DFW. I was onboard an AA MD-80 bound for New York(LGA) and we are ready for pushback. All of the sudden I hear the engines power up and we start moving back. I was like...WTF??? We are moving back on our own power?? Sure enough...we were!! I did not know this was a common practice....or is it??

Why wouldnt they use a HUF instead of wasting fuel like thaT?
Visca Barça!!

qqflyboy

Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:26 am

Iberia340600:

The cost savings in equipment needed to push the -80s makes up for the minimal fuel spent while performing a powerback. The procedure is very common for AA at DFW and other airports where the terminals provide adequate space for such a maneuver.

Powerbacks on aircraft with rear mounted engines are fairly common. The risk of FOD is far too great for wing mounted engines.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

Iberia340600

Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:48 am

Qqflyboy:

Thanks for the info. I didnt know it was a common practice at DFW...I figured maybe they were short on equipment and did the powerback for that reason. It was pretty cool! I figured the risk of FOD with wing mounted engines would be too much of a risk...but since it was the first time I experienced a powerback I was quite in aww! lol
Visca Barça!!

JMChladek

Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:55 am

I was on a couple CO 727s from the gold tail days when they did reverse thrust powerbacks from the gate and that was quite a lot of fun. On a recent trip I was in row 21 on a NW DC-9-30 (right next to the left engine intake) and it made quite a racket on landing with reverse thrust, but I savored the moment and sound of the experience.  Smile

CRJmx

Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:16 am

I used to work the ramp for NWA and there is nothing like a DC-9 or 727 during a powerback. The best part is when you are all sweaty from loading one up in mid-July and you marshall a powerback. When you are done, you need a shower from all of the sand that gets stuck to you.
When it hits your lips, it's so good!!

dispatch

Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:09 am

A little O/T @AvroArrow:
the 757 always seems to make strange sounds.
When you stand just left or right from it's flight path, when it's on finals, you can actually here the vortex come swirling down.

Peter

Mr.BA

Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:23 am

Anyone likes the reversers on the B747 classic? When they go full is a deep constant roar... I sure do like it!
Boeing747 万岁!

AR385

Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:13 pm

You struck the point, Mr.BA, the only reverse thrust I recall and cherish is the one from the good ol' B747 Classic, but with the JT9D engines, The magic was not there with the Rolls Royce or GE's. And, I remember, when sat up in the nose, when the reversers kick in, everything from the galley came crashing down (anybody else remember this) I don't know how many glasses they lost with each landing but the decelaration power was incredible, and the noise, the noise, not even Beethoven could top it.

dc863

Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:45 pm

Concorde may win 1st place on reverse noise but a very close second goes to the Tridents. Wow!

rb211

Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:39 pm

YES LAWD! Especially from the RB-11's and GE90's and almost as much as I like the sound of one or the other flying overhead on finals.
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

BA

Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:05 pm

Oh I just love the sound of thrust reversers.  Smile

MEA makes it compulsory to use thrust reversers upon landing. I have never had a quiet, idle reverse landing on any of my flights on MEA including the new A321s.

Touchdown in Beirut International Airport (BEY), full spoilers and thrust reverse, we were just roaring.  Smile

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran