ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

AF/BA's Thoughts On The Sonic Cruiser?

Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:14 am

**Question aimed mostly at GDB/GordonRoxburgh/etc**

What was AF & BA's take on the Sonic Cruiser during the time Boeing was actively promoting it? Did they take it seriously?

Did they oppose it as a possible threat to Concorde (as BA probably intended to still be operating SSC around the time SC would be launched)?

...any information you guys could give would be appreciated.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

eg777er

RE: AF/BA's Thoughts On The Sonic Cruiser?

Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:17 am

Why go for halves when you've got the real thing?

The Sonic Cruiser was a marketing man's overnight dream.

Concorde flew for 27 years.

There's still nothing, present or future, that can beat her.

M2.00
60,000ft.
4500mi.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:35 am

that's all good and well... but does little to answer my question  Big grin

cedarjet

Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:43 am

I would have thought BA's reaction was the same as everyone else's - why spend the extra money on fuel to shave a small fraction of the flight time when (a) it still takes hours to get to the airport in gridlocked traffic, (b) it still takes hours to get through the airport (last week I spent a whole fucking hour in a queue for security at EWR), (c) if there's air traffic congestion you might be in a "Sonic Cruiser" but you're still stuck behind an A340, or number 27 for take-off, or stacking for 45 minutes over Biggin Hill or Epsom, (d) no compatibility with anything else in the fleet.

I couldn't help giggle at Branson's reaction - "The Sonic Cruiser will usher in a new era for air transport. Virgin Atlantic will order three." Talk about damned by faint praise.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:12 am

I couldn't help giggle at Branson's reaction - "The Sonic Cruiser will usher in a new era for air transport. Virgin Atlantic will order three." Talk about damned by faint praise.

IIRC, Bethune said something along the same line. And didnt Carty go off about wanting the first year of deliveries only for AA?

Getting back to the point, do any AF/BA staffers remember specifically how those two airlines reacted?

GDB

Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:20 am

BA would have looked at it, not as a Concorde replacement on JFK and BGI routes, though with lower ticket prices it could have supplemented them, but maybe for routes unsuitable for Concorde, which for BA was most medium/long haul routes.
However, Sept 11th put paid to that, as it did for everyone else.