mariner

Frontier/Old Glory And Tim

Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:10 am

The following photo by Tim Samples has appeared in the database:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tim Samples

In the caption, he talks about "my" US flag on the second plane - N907FR. You can see it more clearly if you go to the large version, it's just opver the registration.

I was intrigued by his comment, so I sent him an email, wondering why he said "my" flag. This is his reply:

"Last winter I was out on the ramp looking at our planes as usual when I thought "why dont we have the US flag on our planes?"  So I then photoshopped up a few of my pictures with the US flag and sent them off to the marketing department.  A few days later I got an E-mail from the one of the VPs saying they showed the board of directors and all the rest of the big whigs and they thought it was a great idea.  Apparently Jeff Potter said placing the flag on the plane wasnt even thought of until then.  They also told me that because of my suggestion they would start putting the flags on the aircraft and the whole fleet would be done by the end of the year.  A few weeks ago someone from the GO came out to the airport to thank me for the idea and a few nights ago I saw the first flag on 907."

I think it's a great story, and, like Tim's bosses, I think it's a terrifc idea.

Congrats, Tim. It must feel pretty good when management accepts an idea - especially such a prominent one - from a ramper!

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

luv2fly

RE: Frontier/Old Glory And Tim

Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:12 am

Another reason Frontier is doing well, it listens to everyone.
You can cut the irony with a knife

MD11LuxuryLinr

Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:36 am

Is Frontier the only US airline that didn't have flags on their planes?
Caution wake turbulence, you are following a heavy jet.

SuperDash

Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:53 pm

Flags were usually added only to airlines that operated under "flag" operation rules. Or in other words "flag" carriers. This means that the airline operates internationally. I remember asking about this when Horizon added flags to its F28 fleet in the late 90s. It was because of operations into Canada and between two cities in Canada which qualified as "flag" operations. Since Sept 11 many airlines that do not operate as "flag" carriers have added flags for patriotic reasons. As far as I know there is no regulation having or not having flags. Even if you are a "flag" carrier. I would assume Frontier is now a flag carrier with its ops to Mexico. Southwest I believe is not a flag carrier but of course now has flags. Good story Mariner.

mariner

Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:33 am

SuperDash:

I'm glad you think it's a good story - obviously, I do, too.

So much so that I sent it to Holly Hegeman at PlaneBusiness - it's a weekly, subscriber, civil aviation newsletter - just as that, a good story.

Holly liked it so much she's asked if she can use it in her newsletter. So once again, congratulations to Tim Samples, the photographer.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos